PDA

View Full Version : The Film Thread.

rog
29th December 2010, 13:36
Have you watched any good films lately? Are there any coming out that you are looking forwards to?

I saw "Due Date" [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1231583/ ]the other day, a fun comedy - well worth a look.

I'm quite looking forwards to "Tron Legacy", I do like a good Sci-Fi.

Chris
30th December 2010, 11:10
Well went and watched meet the parents "little fockers" and to be honest it wasnt the best one but still fun to watch :) im after watching The Green Hornet now!

SGD
30th December 2010, 11:19
Enjoyed Tron;The Legacy but not sure what Martin Sheen was up to

Robyn Copley-Hirst
30th December 2010, 11:21
I never usually entertain reading any graphic novels, comics or film adaptations that do not include Batman, V, or anything written by Alan Moore! Maus is also one of my favourite graphic novels/ books ever... but is maybe a little serious a subject matter for the Christmas period.

You'll have to let us know if The Green Hornet is worth seeing :) Start a Chris Film Review! ;)

Regards,

Robyn

Chris
30th December 2010, 11:48
I quite like that idea Robyn ;) i might just do that! There is quite a few good looking films due out this coming year. One called Paul with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in (loved sean of the dead) New Transformers movie, Cowboys versus Aliens, Ip man 2 (first one was great)

Link to trailer for Paul http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4189821721/

IMDb is a pretty good site for movies to come and also http://www.hollywood.com/movies/

SGD
30th December 2010, 12:32
Thanks for the link for IMDb! Now the kids are getting older I can't nick them for kids films! Trailer for "Gnomeo and Juliet" is great Film review idea is brilliant! you could award smiley faces ie 5 = excellent, 1 = uneaten Turkey!

Chris
3rd January 2011, 19:34
The Medallion is on Syfi now :) not Jackie chans best but it's good to see him team up with Lee Evans! I'm a bit of a Jackie chan fan :) well anything Kung Fu........... Bruce Lee is the true legend.

Jenni
3rd January 2011, 20:11
I watched Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs earlier. I know its a kids movie, but I actually enjoyed it.

Chris
3rd January 2011, 20:37
I watched that too with my little girl before, I enjoyed it

Chris
7th January 2011, 20:07
The new Danny Boyle film 127 hours looks a good one. Hopefully get to see it in the next wk :)

SGD
8th January 2011, 17:17
The Kings Speech looks good - will try to catch it soon - films at Cineworld only seem to be on for a week or so

Chris
8th January 2011, 18:01
just watching Legend of the Guardians with my little un, pretty good film so far.

Countyboy
9th January 2011, 15:43
Day of the Triffids, the book is much better than the film, written by John Wyndham and first printed about 1951.

CB.

Jenni
9th January 2011, 19:41
I plan to watch True Grit with Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. My dad loves the John Wayne version, but I was never a John Wayne fan. For me, he was kinda like Will Smith in that he basically plays the same part in every film (all that I've seen anyway).

I watched Sherlock Holmes again recently (the new version). I think its fab, and I can't wait for the follow-up. And I'm not at all biased by the fact that I've had a crush on Robert Downey Jr since the late 80's, lol.

Chris
9th January 2011, 20:37
Run Fatboy run on channel 4 at 9 :)

Jenni
9th January 2011, 23:16
Watching Run Fatboy Run too. I love it, always makes me smile.

SGD
16th January 2011, 14:50
Dissapointed in latest X Files film - lovely Dana Scully though

Jenni
16th January 2011, 22:01
Hooray for Gillian Anderson, she made it cool to be a redhead :)
When I was a teenager, all the boys were hot for Scully.

Chris
18th January 2011, 19:38
A good place for watching oldish films online free http://www.youtube.com/movies

Robyn Copley-Hirst
18th January 2011, 20:50
try www.letmewatchthis.com too, Chris.

SGD
18th January 2011, 22:08
Lovely Gillian Anderson

Jenni
19th January 2011, 10:23
I've recently watched the remake of True Grit, which I thought was quite good. The little girl playing Matty really holds her own.

I also watched The Fighter, with Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale. Another good film, and a true story to boot.

I'd recommend both.

Chris
19th January 2011, 17:43
Hoping to watch both them films in next day or 2. Got a few to watch over next few days while my gf is off to London to celebrate Gary Barlows 40th!
Got 8 short films by Stephen King called knightmares and dreamscapes to watch :)

Jenni
20th January 2011, 11:07
Oooh, do let me know what they're like. I haven't seen them, but I'm a big Stephen King fan. :)

Chris
22nd January 2011, 18:28
Another vampire type movie coming soon http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi931961625/

rog
22nd January 2011, 21:29
Another vampire type movie coming soon http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi931961625/

It looks good, one to look forward to.

I like zombie films myself http://th589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/bffcentral/th_smiley_zombies.gif

SGD
22nd January 2011, 22:10
Just back from seeing the Green Hornet film with number one son (aged 14) his cousin 15 and friend also 14 - good action scenes and sets up the next film....and again, I got absolutely nothing out of 3D except a headache.

Jenni
22nd January 2011, 22:50
I hope to see Priest when it comes out, but to be honest, I'm not that keen on all these films being released as 3D. They're enjoyable when they're done properly, like the effects in Avatar - which I thought was an average film without the 3D.
I watched the latest Resident Evil film at the cinema and that seems to have been made purely so they could do some horror effects in 3D. Toy Story 3 was done tastefully, but then again I'm biased because I thought that film was completely brilliant.

SGD
23rd January 2011, 14:30
Not seen Toy Story 3 but heard it's incredibly moving. Can any forum member explain (in simple language please as I a bit thick) the difference between "In 3D" and "filmed in 3D" heard it's very expensive to film in 3D so presume post production doesn't have such good results. Got astigmatism so might explain why I sit there baffled - should I wear the specs over mine? Cineworld charge 2.10 adult and 1.50 for the privilege of not seeing a difference on top of 0.80p per set of glasses. I asked a lady in the cinema where the exit was, she said "Don't ask me I'm in the film"

James Baker
24th January 2011, 16:03
It's a bit off topic, but if you do enjoy the cinema and you are in reciept of DLA or AA then you can apply for a card from the cinema exhibitors association which entitles holders to free entry for one person accompanying them to the cinema.

Details of the scheme and participating cinemas can be found at http://www.ceacard.co.uk/

Chris
24th January 2011, 18:03
Thanks for that James, definatley applying for one of them.

SGD
24th January 2011, 21:39
Anyone else see the Ian Dury biopic on Sky?

rog
24th January 2011, 22:45
I hear they could be making Matrix 4 & 5
http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-matrix-004.gif http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-matrix-006.gif http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-matrix-005.gif

SGD
25th January 2011, 22:15
Saw the "Thor" trailer - looks great, though Anthony Hopkins can't need the money now, surely?

Jenni
26th January 2011, 09:19
I love superhero movies, I loved Kick Ass too, even though he had no super powers.

Chris
26th January 2011, 09:46
Loved the matrix films so I do hope there's more! Super hero movies are great too, just got kick ass to watch.

SGD
26th January 2011, 23:31
I loved Kick Ass!

G60dubber
27th January 2011, 19:04
Ditto for Kick Ass. Watched Predator today, old but such a classic Arnie film :-). Happy Gilmore is may most watched fave tho.

Chris
27th January 2011, 20:46
Both great films (happpy gilmore and predator)
Forbidden Kingdom was on last night :) very good! love Jackie Chan films, any kung fu really lol

just watched the stephen king films, a couple of good ones but not great.

G60dubber
27th January 2011, 22:43
Did you know that the film 'Running Man' was based on a Stephen King book. Arnies version deviates quite a lot from the book though. He wrote it under the pen name Richard Bachman early in his career. Great set of books if you have chance to read them.

bmroa
27th January 2011, 23:37
The African Queen - Bogart & Hepburn classic.

Jenni
28th January 2011, 10:24
Did you know that the film 'Running Man' was based on a Stephen King book. Arnies version deviates quite a lot from the book though. He wrote it under the pen name Richard Bachman early in his career. Great set of books if you have chance to read them.

Stephen King also wrote The Shawshank Redemption (one of the best films ever) and Stand By Me (I think it was called The Body in novel form). Plus Carrie and Apt Pupil. I also think a lot of bad films have been made from great Stephen King books, such as IT and The Stand. Its all in the translation really, sometimes a great book makes a bad film and vice versa.

And then you have the case where a terrible book makes a nauseatingly terrible film like Twilight!

G60dubber
28th January 2011, 10:56
Ur full of interesting facts Jenni :-), didn't know about Shawshank, fabulous film though .

Another film I enjoy watching is 'The Power of One', again not a patch on the novel by Bryce Courtenay but still brings a warm feeling :-), definitely on my recomended reading list.

SGD
28th January 2011, 19:59
Liked the Mel Gibson film "Tim" hardly ever shown now though

Chris
29th January 2011, 09:58
Any which way you can :) classic! right turn clyde

Chris
29th January 2011, 17:09
Just watched 127 hours, i thought it was very good and well worth seeing

Jenni
31st January 2011, 12:07
Ur full of interesting facts Jenni :-), didn't know about Shawshank, fabulous film though .

Another film I enjoy watching is 'The Power of One', again not a patch on the novel by Bryce Courtenay but still brings a warm feeling :-), definitely on my recomended reading list.

Is that the same film I'm thinking of with Stephen Dorff and Morgan Freeman? If so, that film is outstanding, and never fails to move me. When little PK gets bullied, I just want to clout the bigger boys. And the grown-up bully is played by none other than a young(ish) Daniel Craig.

G60dubber
31st January 2011, 16:45
That's the one, didn't realise it was 007 in his early days though as it's a while since I last watched it.

Jenni
31st January 2011, 19:38
I'm a bit of a film geek really, and one day, my useless knowledge will come in handy. Get me on a game show and I'll kick some butt, ha ha.

Chris
7th February 2011, 20:24
Just watched Hachi a dogs tale, what a great film, definatley brings a tear to you eye!

Jenni
8th February 2011, 10:07
Oh, I'm a total sucker for movies about animals. Homeward Bound made me cry like a baby, and it still does every time I watch it even though I know what happens.
When I was a kid, I remember a film called 'The Dog That Stopped The War' (I think!). It was about two groups of boys who built snow forts every year and always fought against one another. But their dog crawls under the fort to get away from the fighting, and the fort collapses and the dog died. My parents had to sit me down and explain that they didn't actually kill a dog but I was just heart-broken and cried for hours over it!

Chris
8th February 2011, 20:13
My gf wont watch any to do with dogs since she watched "my dog skip" i think thats what its called :) well she only needs see a dog walking down street on its own and she starts crying! I never forget one christmas eve, we were lay in bed ready go sleep and she heard a dog barking outside, 2 mins later she was in sheds of tears saying its going to be cold on its own outside!
For the record, she treats our dog like a baby.

Jenni
8th February 2011, 21:20
My boyfriend treats our cat like a baby, and even holds it like one sometimes! He's very cute but has a tendency to try and boss us around when he wants feeding or to be let out the front door, lol.

Arthur
8th February 2011, 23:15
Just been to see The Kings Speech - absolutely brilliant, ironically can equate with Bulbur, don't miss it.
Now to find a speech trainer.
Art

Jenni
10th February 2011, 00:52
I'm curious about the Kings Speech really. Although I think its cut a lot of the real history of George, I'd like to see the performances rather than the film. I don't know if that makes much sense, but I'm a fan of Helena Bonham Carter, and obviously Hollywood is drooling over Colin Firth right now so he must have done something right.

Arthur
10th February 2011, 19:02
Tonight (Thursday) at 9.00 BBC2 is an original documentary on George VI and his speech problem etc

G60dubber
10th February 2011, 19:09
Found out new Masterchef starts next Wed, loooks like they're doing it in the same format as the Australian version too. Can't wait, it's so addictive :-)

SGD
11th February 2011, 16:02
Really enjoyed "The Fighter" film

Chris
11th February 2011, 16:35
Really enjoyed "The Fighter" film

Totally agree with that, great film.

Jenni
11th February 2011, 19:34
Totally agree with that, great film.

I third that, it was a great film and they reckon Christian Bale will get an Oscar for his role.

SGD
11th February 2011, 22:19
Yes thought he was a bit "showy" then saw the original character and realised his mannerisms are absolutely spot on

SGD
11th February 2011, 22:22
I'm curious about the Kings Speech really. Although I think its cut a lot of the real history of George, I'd like to see the performances rather than the film. I don't know if that makes much sense, but I'm a fan of Helena Bonham Carter, and obviously Hollywood is drooling over Colin Firth right now so he must have done something right.

I see what you mean Jenni - I had a lot of "speech therapy" lessons when I was a child (for a variety of reasons) so I really want to see the "nitty gritty" rather than "that nice Colin Firth"

Chris
23rd March 2011, 17:26
Just been given 2 boxes full off DVD's off my sister that were my late brother inlaws, plenty to keep me going for a good while :)

Chris
1st April 2011, 13:07
Just watched hot tub time machine, silly but still quite funny. Also watched robin hood with russel crowe in yesterday, good but not what i expected.

Ive also just recieved my CEA card thanks to a link posted on here :)

Chris
26th May 2011, 17:57
Watched Devil and jackass 3D. Devil was pretty good for what seemed a fairly low budget movie, as for jackass, they are just nutters!

Watching Pacific that i had on sky+ for a while, seems a good series.

Robyn Copley-Hirst
26th May 2011, 23:23
Watched Devil and jackass 3D. Devil was pretty good for what seemed a fairly low budget movie, as for jackass, they are just nutters!

Watching Pacific that i had on sky+ for a while, seems a good series.

You've watched a whole lot of stuff I've not seen yet, Chris. I've been addicted to Dexter... half way through the fourth season now.

Are you through the two boxes you got given yet?

Robyn

Chris
27th May 2011, 09:29
Nowhere near through em yet ;) plenty of time yet. Never watched Dexter, is it any good?

hilary walklett
27th May 2011, 13:49
Went to see To Kill a Mocking Bird yesterday. Very scratched and not very good sound, but still a brilliant film! Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch - what an actor.

Hilary

Robyn Copley-Hirst
27th May 2011, 14:15
Nowhere near through em yet ;) plenty of time yet. Never watched Dexter, is it any good?

I love Dexter... never met anyone who's watched a whole series that isn't an addict! I've seen all five seasons and am rewatching them all the way through for the third time. Definitely prefer the TV show to the books.

Enjoy the long weekend, Chris :)

Robyn

Chris
2nd June 2011, 14:25
Watched Insidious at the cinema with polly last night, didnt enter my head that it was orange wednesdays! plus new X Men realeased, it was chocca block, que's out the door! luckily i had my CEA card which with a quick show to a member of staff got us straight to front :) quite a few unhappy faces and unpleasant stares but who cares ;) one small perk to being ill.
Anyway the film was pretty good but i did feel it got a bit silly towards the end, plenty of parts made me jump out of my skin! i have noticed though that i am very jumpy, since my MND has moved on ive got more and more jumpy, even when i am expecting something to happen, a load noise, the dog barking, even when someone shouts me when im engrossed in the tv lol. I think if someone had video'd me in the cinema last night it would make a good promotional video.

Chris
8th June 2011, 20:04
Off to imax in manchester watching Pirates of The Carribean 4 tomorrow with my dad and close friend, should be good ;)

SGD
9th June 2011, 07:13
I never get the 3D effect

Jacqui Priestley
10th June 2011, 00:49
Went to see the X Men prequel tonight & really enjoyed it. Now I need to catch up on all the other ones - haven't seen them as I thought they would be crass. Have been converted!! Btw, have a cinema card that let's a carer go free. With disabled parking am a very cheap date!

Chris
20th June 2011, 14:30
Watched Paul the other night, really enjoyed it, i think simon pegg and nick frost are great together.

joehat
19th July 2011, 04:23
I just watched Harry Potter 7 part 2 a couple of nights back and it was a great feeling. This is actually one of my most favorite movie and book series of all time. That is why I did not let it pass.

I can't say much about the technicalities of it but it was in general a great movie. Though some would say that parts of the book was not included but that is just the way it is. If you want to get the book version, then read the book. This is just the movie adaptation so you would not expect everything to be there.

SGD
19th July 2011, 18:27
Have a charity screening of "The King's Speech" in aid on the mnda booked for Sat 24th September at the Library Theatre, Luton, Bedfordshire

Steve

daine.scott
1st August 2011, 05:21
I am waiting to watch The Smurfs; I had always enjoyed watching smurfs cartoon. I want to see how it will look in a movie. Also there is Neil Patrick Harris, its fun watching him. Neil is amazing.

gloriacollins
6th September 2011, 07:09
I watched Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs earlier. I know its a kids movie, but I actually enjoyed it.

yeah i too watched it.:)

sarahezekiel
6th September 2011, 15:15
I saw the film One Day at the weekend. I'd read the book and didn't think that the film would be as good. It was though! Also made me cry a bit. I definitely recommend it.

Sarah

Dis1960
11th April 2019, 15:13
Just a reminder about the CEA card scheme https://www.ceacard.co.uk

Terry
11th April 2019, 17:22
Thanks for the info Dis;

You have found a thread that I have not see.

Love Terry

ccinjersey
29th April 2019, 19:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_Msrdg3Hk

Didn't know where to post this, its a short clip with a creepy ending that makes you think.

Kayleigh
29th April 2019, 20:34
Thanks CC.

I agree, a bit creepy but thought-provoking.

... although, part way through I did wonder if it was an advert for Snickers!

Love
Kayleigh x

ccinjersey
29th April 2019, 21:04
Someone sent it to me Kayleigh, I thought the same thing !!! LOL

Yeah creepy....the guy got just a little too greedy, he should have quit while he was ahead, or secured the tape better! lol

bakeit Forum