PDA

View Full Version : Spell & talk

Denise
26th November 2015, 20:33
I was told that there is an app on your tablet that you spell a word & it speaks the word. Does anyone know the app please as i can't find it.

mags55
26th November 2015, 20:47
Hi Denise, it is called Predictable. I paid over a hundred pounds for it but I think some people get it for free?, I didn't know that.
Magsx

Denise
26th November 2015, 20:52
The one i was told about was just a few pounds just to get started! How do you find your one is it easy to use. X

kevin
26th November 2015, 20:59
Hi Denise
Its called speak it 1.49 and i think its better than predictable

kevin
26th November 2015, 21:01
ho yea i bought a series 1 ipad class a from ebay for 70 all sorted

Denise
26th November 2015, 21:08
Thanks kevin. X

Terry
26th November 2015, 21:09
Hi Denise;

Do you have a I Pad or a android tablet.

Different apps are available for the different machines.

Love Terry

Congratulations on your I Pad Kevin.

mags55
27th November 2015, 01:09
Hi Denise
I'm not too keen on it, it's ok if you want to use just one finger, it predicts the wrong words at time, I end up a jumble of words I didn't want. I thought it was me, but my friend and daughter tried it and the same happens to them. A lot of people love it.
I have speak it on my iPad, I may give it a go but I can't do many changes on there as I can the predictable. Yes, try speak it first.
Mags x

miranda
27th November 2015, 13:14
I use Speak It. It's very basic, easy to use. Two female and two male voices. You can save phrases you use regularly

Katrina36
27th November 2015, 13:59
Hi Denise, my dad was given an iPad with the App called predictable on it free, if I'm being honest it's not the best, but I guess it's better than nothing, it's like the guy on it just says the sentences without taking breath. I'm going to see if he can get a different app as he doesn't like it,, any ideas would be welcome as to a better app?... Thanks Katrina x

Terry
27th November 2015, 16:59
Hi Katrina;

He has to put a few commas in for a breath. Maybe talk to the makes and see if something in the settings could make it stop at a full stop. Try "Speak It" but I would have thought that "Predictable" is better.

Love Terry

Katrina36
27th November 2015, 17:09
Hi Terry,

I will have to try it with a few commas, never really tried that, my mum wrote my dad a message and it came out so fast that it was hard to understand what the guy was saying, if I can't understand it I don't know how my dad was ment too.

I'll definately give that a go and see if it makes a difference with more commas,, il have a look at Speak It aswell.

Thank you ... Katrina x

Terry
27th November 2015, 17:22
I have a lightwriter and i have set the speed to the slowest, again, contact the makers and see if this to can be slowed.

Love Terry

Katrina36
27th November 2015, 18:18
Sorry don't mean to sound silly but what is a lightwriter?, il have a look and see if it can be slowed down.

Thanks Katrina x

Terry
27th November 2015, 18:34
It's old tech that sometimes the Mnda lend out. I say it is old stuff but it has some benefits too.

Some modern programs do have settings and tools to help them. I don't have an I Pad so can't help but I would think that the software company could help with the rate of speech and the full stops.

Katrina36
27th November 2015, 19:43
Do you prefer the older style stuff?,, can you not get an iPad from mnd consultant?, they have given my dad one with the app on it.

I will def look to see if it can be slowed down or ask if it can.

Thanks
Katrina x

Terry
27th November 2015, 20:12
My lightwriter is quite good and I have had it for over four years. It has advantages over I Pads as well as disadvantages. As I have a lightwriter they won't give me an I Pad. I could buy one but I have been looking at apps for cheaper tablets.

I have "Free speech" on one but I just looked and can't adjust it's speed or stopping at full stops.

My Laptop also has a couple of talking programs on but that is not so easy to take out.

Thanks, love Terry

Terry
27th November 2015, 21:34
I have just looked at my settings on my android tablet and you can adjust the speed of the speech there, again I don't know if that can be done in the I Pad systems.

Love Terry

Terry
27th November 2015, 21:34
I have just looked at my settings on my android tablet and you can adjust the speed of the speech there, again I don't know if that can be done in the I Pad systems.

Love Terry

kevin
27th November 2015, 21:35
Hi Terry
The pad i bought on e bay was not in an auction it was a buy it now . The series 1 has no camera, slow and will not handle bigger apps thats why they are cheap . The one i got came with 3 months waranty. They are perfect for speakit and little chance of getting mugged . so total cost was 71.49. I had asked my S.L.T who asked MNDA and they provided the very latest pad with predictable on it. the process took 3 months . Terry i am sure you will qualify but i also know you will not get one if you dont ask. You know the saying God helps them who help themselves well it true.

Katrina36
27th November 2015, 23:50
Hi Terry, il have a look tomorrow on dads iPad and see if I can change these setting on predictable. It's a shame the mnd team don't lend you an iPad as they done this with dad and gave him the app free also.

I could imagine the laptop could be a bit big for carrying around.

Thanks katrina x

Terry
28th November 2015, 00:14
Thanks the two K,s

Afew years ago I asked for the app and about an I Pad, they do not want to give out I Pads, as they could be used by other people and would only supply the app if I gave up my light writer.

The situation might have changed a bit since then but the Mnda have and do help me with some things and I think that it is important that other people get help as well.

Being a long termer, there is perhaps less of a financial implications, as cost's are spread over a longer period.

It would be perhaps nice to help others with I Pads get the best out of theirs but maybe others can do that.

Love Terry

kevin
28th November 2015, 19:17
Hi Terry
There is only one thing we have all in common on hear that is we are all buggered. We only ask for what we need . True enough the two of us are doing better than most . This could all change tomorrow. You my mate will go the extra mile for anyone who comes on hear wanting help. We have both done our bit raising funds for MND with the intention of buying thing to help others. I consider you as worthy as any one.

Dvd
28th November 2015, 20:52
Hi Katrina .. It's me DVD .. Try the App I got for my friend .. It's called 'Speak it' from play store .. Its Free ..You can select the speed of the voice etc ... Try it out it may be of benefit to you .. It was the first one I downloadedbas a trial so i cant say about other apps .. ..DVD xx

Dvd
28th November 2015, 20:55
Hi Denise, my dad was given an iPad with the App called predictable on it free, if I'm being honest it's not the best, but I guess it's better than nothing, it's like the guy on it just says the sentences without taking breath. I'm going to see if he can get a different app as he doesn't like it,, any ideas would be welcome as to a better app?... Thanks Katrina x

Try 'Speak it' from the play store Katrina ..you can adjust the speed of the voice .. I have never tried other ones perhaps there are better ones ..this one is free so no harm in downloading it and trying it out ..

Dvd
28th November 2015, 20:59
I use Speak It. It's very basic, easy to use. Two female and two male voices. You can save phrases you use regularly
Hi Miranda .. I have just downloaded the same app for my friend .. It is simple to use .and seems very good . My friend does not need it at the moment but it is heading that way so am being prepared ..

Katrina36
28th November 2015, 22:10
Hi Dvd,, I'm going to download it on my own iPad, and gave a play around with it, if it's any good then il download it onto my dads one, it would be so good if it can be slowed down,,, thanks katrina xx

QUOTE=Dvd;56635]Hi Katrina .. It's me DVD .. Try the App I got for my friend .. It's called 'Speak it' from play store .. Its Free ..You can select the speed of the voice etc ... Try it out it may be of benefit to you .. It was the first one I downloadedbas a trial so i cant say about other apps .. ..DVD xx[/QUOTE]

Terry
29th November 2015, 20:17
Hi Katrina;

The "Speak it" that Dvd is talking about is for android tablets and is made by "Triple". It is quite basic but there is an upgrade for 99p. The full version has a storage area for sounds and I believe text. Also alarms for tablet times and it get rid of the advertising. Probably a few other things as well but not extra voices that the other version has.

The "Speak It" that Miranda is talking about is for an I Pad and might be made by some one else. It also costs 1.49 and has a few extras.

If I'm wrong please PM me.

Love Terry

Katrina36
29th November 2015, 20:41
Hi Terry,, I've just noticed that now,, it's an iPad dad has, I've paid for it and downloaded it on my own iPad to have a play about with it and see how ur goes before mentioning it to dad. Your right it was 1.49 :-) ... Thanks Katrina x

Terry
9th December 2015, 17:32
Hi Fozzie;

What sort of speaking software are you looking at and who's helping you do that.

Love Terry

Fozzie
9th December 2015, 17:56
Hi Terry
i am due for a catch up with my speach therapist in the next couple of weeks. There is some great advise on this thread. Being relatively new to the forum and a bit of a novice with forums i did not think to look on previous threads.
i have a samsung tablet at home and using the keys to type is hard work. Luckily in my job they are arranging to have some sort of speach software to be fitted to my machine.
Thanks for coming back so quick. All of you guys are so much on the ball.
Regards Fozzie

Terry
9th December 2015, 19:31
Hi Fozzie;

Thanks for praise but we are not on the ball as much as we would like to be. There's always new stuff.

I think that the samsung is an android device and as such most of the talking apps are not as good as the I Pad ones. I believe that the "Predictable" is also available for 10 inch android devices and if that's right I would push for that. There are quite a few free ones which sort of do the job BUT. If you could persuade them to get an I Pad then there are atleast two quite good apps.

Keep us up to date on what you find etc.

Love Terry

bakeit Forum