PDA

View Full Version : Communication

Dvd
11th February 2016, 11:12
Hi all ...A Galaxy note 10 ins Tablet ( mine is the 2014 edition ) you can actually write on this Tablet with the included stylus pen ..The pen has a holder on the side of the Tablet .. These were aimed at students so as they could take notes during lectures .. It is a great function if someone is not into typing on a Tablet ( as my friend is not ) .. There is an App already installed called S Note .. Open it and it looks like a post it note .. Then get the stylus pen and write whatever you wish to say .. See photos .. dvd

525. 526

Terry
11th February 2016, 12:55
Hi Dvd;

I think that there is a similar function on an I Pad, certainly if you have Predictable on it, I think.

Many of use lose the fine hand control so typing might then be easier, especially on a keyboard.

Love Terry

Dvd
11th February 2016, 13:44
Hi Dvd;

I think that there is a similar function on an I Pad, certainly if you have Predictable on it, I think.

Many of use lose the fine hand control so typing might then be easier, especially on a keyboard.

Love Terry

Hi Terry know what you mean when you say about some people having difficulty writing and easier for them to type but just thought for anyone that still has the ability to write and not into typing on tablets or iPads as not everyone is into technology ( as my friend is ) this is very suitable ... Plus it comes pre installed at no extra cost .. Its just like writting on a piece of paper as you write on the screen with the fine nib SPen that is specially designed for the Tablet .. It also has a eraser should you make a mistake or want to erase what you have written .. My friend can use this with no problem and it saves carrying pen and paper around ..DVD

Katrina36
11th February 2016, 14:48
Hi DVD,,, I think that sounds like a good transition before using the typing app as dad is still not interested in using the predictable app yet and is preferring to write on a whiteboard for the time being,, I wonder if you get this for the iPad ... Katrina x

Dvd
11th February 2016, 15:16
Hi Katrina .. I am not sure about an iPad ..The Galaxy Tablet has the SPen feature which allows you to write on the screen . I bought the Galaxy Note 10 inch Tablet beginning of last year as I was doing some work that I needed to take notes on so it was just what I was looking for as i did not want to go carrying pen and paper ( and I have lost my school bag lol ) .. Little did I know when I bought it last year that I would be using now it for a completely different reason but it is a God send now .. It is very difficult when one is not techie so you do have to look out for other different ideas .. I felt if you were out and about or in the house rather than using pen and paper to write on, the Tablet looks quite normal as everywhere you look someone is on their phone, tablets etc. not that I am saying there is anything wrong about writing things down but this tends to blend in more nowadays ..looks as if you are techie lol
Make an enquiry if it is available on an iPad .. The model I have is the Galaxy Note 10 inch Tablet 2014 edition with the SPen .. I do know the Galaxy Note model before this one I have had also this feature .. Take a look on EBay you sometimes get good deals on them .. DVD

Katrina36
11th February 2016, 15:33
Hi dvd,, il def have a look as I don't think my Minnie Mouse notebook makes dad feel very masculine when going to appointments lol... And he doesn't like using predictable yet as it takes him so long to type stuff out and can write things much quicker... I think your right about the iPad blending in a bit more not drawing attention... Katrina x

Dude
11th February 2016, 16:18
I've got an Hello Kitty bulb horn on my shower/toilet chair. 1 hoot for wee-wee and 2 for poo-poo. lol Dude x

Katrina36
11th February 2016, 16:26
Hahahahahahaha!!!! Each to their own lol.... :p

Terry
11th February 2016, 16:48
Hi DVD,,, I think that sounds like a good transition before using the typing app as dad is still not interested in using the predictable app yet and is preferring to write on a whiteboard for the time being,, I wonder if you get this for the iPad ... Katrina x

Yes Katrina;

I've just said that in a PM to Dvd, it might be a good way of introducing Tech to dinosaurs.

You can defiantly get an app for the I Pad that will do the same but it might be on the latest "Predictable" one.

Love Terry

Katrina36
11th February 2016, 16:52
Hi Terry, il need to have a look on dads iPad with the predictable on it and see if that works, it would be great if it did, it might get him used to handling the iPad aswell and not dislike it so much... Dad is definately a tech phobe (Dinosaur) lol... I really want him to use iPad instead of feeling he can't do it :) .... Katrina x

Susan
11th February 2016, 17:07
Predictable does have a bit to let you write - I was told you can use a finger for it but I was absolutely useless at that when I tried. I can't help feeling a stylus would be a lot easier!

Katrina36
11th February 2016, 17:12
We never got told that about the predictable app,, I'm looking forward to trying it out now.... I've got stylus,s in the house so will let you know how it goes with one off them :)..... Katrina x

Dvd
11th February 2016, 17:19
Hi Terry .. I completely understand what you are saying that Tablet / Ipad with speech apps is the way to go but in some people who are not techie small steps are required first .. This is why i started the posting as there may be others out there just like my friend, not techie ... My friend does not have a mobile phone so to put a Tablet or iPad into his hand is daunting to him ..
I have Speech Assistant on two of my tablets and that is free to download onto a Tablet so as time moves on I will introduce it. He has looked at it but is not confident in using it yet but with the SPen and writing on the Tablet he has no problem. DVD

Dvd
11th February 2016, 17:24
Predictable does have a bit to let you write - I was told you can use a finger for it but I was absolutely useless at that when I tried. I can't help feeling a stylus would be a lot easier!

Hi Susan .. You need a very fine pen nib to write on a screen ..a stylus is thicker and does not write as good .. Perhaps you could get a fine pen nib and try again .. The Galaxy Tablet i have was designed for this feature and comes with a special SPen dvd

Terry
11th February 2016, 17:58
Yes Susan;

A stylus is what my SALT used, but I didn't try it because it takes me so long to write. Stylus's are cheep.

If you don't have use of your hands, don't forget that some things including laptops can be controlled by speech, if you have a good voice.

Love Terry

Terry
11th February 2016, 18:01
Great thread Dvd;

From little acorns ------

Love Terry

Barry52
11th February 2016, 18:46
Hi Katrina,

I use both the keyboard and the writing board on predictable. The finger or stylus are thick so you have to use the return key to move the text into the speech section then delete and start the next phase of text. After a bit of practice and some patience your dad will pick it up. Reminds me of when in 1996 my employer gave me a laptop and said the secretaries have gone, type your own reports. Needless to say I didn't know how to switch it on let alone a querty keyboard.

Barry

Katrina36
11th February 2016, 18:52
Hi Barry, maybe a mixture off the two would be a good idea to get him used to it,,and once he can no longer use the writing bit , he will just use the typing bit more without realising it, if that makes sense... Lol@not able to switch it on... I taught dad how to email, he says that it takes that long to type... It would take forever to have a conversation... I think that's what puts him off... Anything is worth a go :) .... Katrina x

Dave K
12th February 2016, 06:04
What a brilliant idea Dvd, why have I not thought of this???

I can mostly understand what Julie is trying to say but sometimes I need Julie a 'Air Write' the first letter of a word in the air and with her finger, once I have the first letter I can work out the rest of the word.

Julie is a tech dinosaur, absolutely no idea in technology, did not and does not want to know and will never use a keyboard of any type, however Julie can still write things like birthday cards, shopping lists albeit in a weird way to others as she now hold her pen in such a way that you would think that it would be impossible to write, a bit like a 'righty' watching a 'lefty' write I suppose then add a bit more contortion too the mix... But I can read her writting fine.

So, I am going to investigate this a bit more as it seems like a super-dooper idea as Julie can get across what it is she is trying to say without the need to type which she will NOT do under any circumstances. me I think it is 'bananas' that folk find it hard to type but that is bev#cause I have been doing so for decades (including typewriters before technology came along) but for someone who have never typed it MUST seem so alien and hard (finding all the correct keys etc)... Like me, don't ask me to knit as I cannot, never have done, so why start now... Get my point.

Defo going to look into this for my Julie... Many Thanks for the info.

Dave

Dvd
12th February 2016, 11:03
Hi Dave K .. Many thanks for you reply .. My friend used to " Air Write " first letter / s in the air then I grasped that word. This mostly happened when we are out and about and with a lot of traffic and even in restaurants it can get noisey so the noise just blocked out what speech he had left .. So he would have used "Air Write"..
Now no more ",Air Writing" I take the Tablet when we go out and about and he writes the words on it ..
dvd

Dave K
12th February 2016, 16:52
I have found a free App for Android on the Google Play store and it is free. Plus you do not need a stylus, a finger will do.

The App is called 'Markers'... I just installed it on my Asus tabled (Android) and Julie loves it, in fact we have just spent 10 minutes playing Noughts & Crosses.

Maybe worthwhile trying this one for Android phones / tablets...

Dave X

Dvd
12th February 2016, 16:57
I have found a free App for Android on the Google Play store and it is free. Plus you do not need a stylus, a finger will do.

The App is called 'Markers'... I just installed it on my Asus tabled (Android) and Julie loves it, in fact we have just spent 10 minutes playing Noughts & Crosses.

Maybe worthwhile trying this one for Android phones / tablets...

Dave X
Hi Dave ..just downloaded it ..it is excellent ..well done you .. Would be very handy if you had just your phone out with you ..
dvd

Dave K
12th February 2016, 17:05
Yes, it is compatible with all Android devices. You can also save them to your photo gallery, if you want. Here a couple from Julie, remember Julie has very arthritic hands / fingers and has only been let loose on it for 5 minutes on her own.

Success... She absolutely loves it.

-

Dave

Dave K
12th February 2016, 17:54
Got to thank you though Dvd for spurring me to think outside the box as everything else I tried has failed as it has always been 'keyboard' related and Julie hates anything that has a keyboard.

So, thank you...

Dave

Dvd
12th February 2016, 18:09
Dave that is fantastic .. Am so glad Julie has taken to it ..now you both can have some fun writing / drawing or playing some games ..
Hope you have fun using "your " new find for the non typists ...
DVD

Dave K
12th February 2016, 18:27
Not tonight though as Julie is now in bed, she is always tired on 'day centre' days but tomorrow I will fire it up again and get Julie used to it...

You never know it might be the break I were looking for.

Dave

Dvd
12th February 2016, 19:41
For anyone who has ANDROID devices tablets etc .. Google voice has had an update and you have now a choice of a UK male of female voice which is free .. Have photo shot the details how to download it ... .see PIC ... dvd

Dave K
13th February 2016, 04:36
Now that's handy Dvd, especially as I bought 2 x 64GB MicroMemory SD cards, one for the phone and one for the tablet for only 15 each last week.

Might give it a whirl and see if it sounds better than the original, based on the size of the download I would guess that it is much much better.

Dave X

Terry
18th September 2016, 20:29
Thanks Dvd;

Just got a new Samsung tablet with the "5" operating system. Samsung have there own male english voice that is quite good.

Love Terry

Terry
13th February 2017, 18:13
Hi Charles;

I think that Barry is away for a while, is there anything that we can help you with regarding "Predictable" ?

It is good to discuss things on open forum as it helps others as well.

Love Terry

njm
13th February 2017, 18:20
Terry:
thanks for stepping in. I recorded my voice via ModelTalker 2 years ago. I do not need it quite yet but want to get practicing.
I understand I need an IPAD and the IPredictable app.
Can you walk me through how I join these bits up (MT-IPAD-Predictable) and get functional.
Thanks

Charles

Terry
13th February 2017, 19:12
I can't exactly Charles;

Do you have a speech therapist, they are sometimes now educated in this now and may help with equipment and getting the app?

Do you have an I Pad as it can be done on other machines as well?

It is a good idea to get used to this such as this before you need it. "Predictable" is available on android as well as I Pad's, I pads seem to have removed there basic model and now they quite expensive.

I think that "Model talker" can also work on some windows based Tablets as well.

Love Terry

Jan
13th February 2017, 19:27
My assistive technology person came from the hospital, provided me with a new iPad on loan, then the department gifted me the predictable app into my iTunes account, they also provided some training how to use it, maybe that is the way to go Charles? If you have a visiting MND nurse she might be able to put things into action

GrannieAnnie
14th February 2017, 00:57
Charles. My SALT originally loaned me a hospital iPad with the Predictable App but it was password protected with the hospital password so I couldn't use it for Emil or anything else much as I knew I had to hand it back. Eventually I bought an iPad and the NHS provided the App. The app cost 109 then. If you have SALT as her for help in providing you with something. Ann xx

njm
14th February 2017, 09:38
Grannie Annie:

I am willing to buy a suitable IPad and the Predictable App. I am happy to purchase these. Once I have I will ask my SALT how itt all connects up .

Thanks for the advice.

Charles

Barry52
14th February 2017, 15:15
Hi Charles,

I have not replied to your recent pm's as I am sunning my cold bones in Egypt and the internet is dodgy. If you search on Lee Millard's post he gives a step by step guide.

Barry

Terry
14th February 2017, 15:37
Nice one Barry;

It is quite nice and sunny here today but I feel it might be a little colder.

Love Terry

njm
14th February 2017, 15:45
Dear Rameses 11:
I knew I had the right man. If you could solve the Riddle of the Sphinx I guessed you could solve my Modeltalker riddle. Does Predictable do hieroglyphics? Enjoy the sun and we all await The Return of the Mummy.

Charles

Nettie B
15th February 2017, 00:05
Well Dude. No one could ignore that for sure!!

bakeit Forum