PDA

View Full Version : Wav

MarshHarrier
27th May 2016, 09:56
Hi All,

Does anyone have a good knowledge of WAVs and whether it's best to hire or buy. I'm over 65 with a reasonable pension so only get Attendance allowance. I'm still driving, and walking short distances but it's becoming s struggle.

Terry
27th May 2016, 10:14
Hi Chris;

You can buy quite good ones for 4000 to 8000, so for me it makes sense to buy.

Using the mobility does make sense for some as it covers most of the extra costs and worries of owning a WAV but I don't know if you can being over 65.

I would be tempted to get a smallish automatic as they are easier to drive if you begin to get problems with movement. It's worth making sure that the WAV has uprated suspension if you are later planning to use it with you in a power wheelchair with you in it as some, (one of the ones I have) is not and makes for a very bouncy ride.

If you have a power chair then get someone else to drive it with you in the back over roughish roads.

I am about 30 miles away, so if you want to have a look at two examples of a Kangoo we can arrange a time. My wife is very busy, but I can show you them and I'm if she has time will take you out, etc.

Love Terry

PS:- I have asked for the other duplicate thread to be deleted.

miranda
27th May 2016, 14:59
We have a Peugeot horizon which is ok but bouncy! Tried a kangoo on holiday which was far more comfortable but a bit of a palaver to load the wheelchair.

Yorkie
28th August 2016, 15:21
When my wife, Anne, got around on a mobility scooter, we took an estate care on the Motorbility scheme which we kept for 18 months until the sccoter had to be replaced by a WAV in February. Given the size of her wheelchair we had to look for one of the larger WAVs and to get one through Motorbility meant a wait until September, which we weren't prepared to do. We surrendered the estate car and had to buy the WAV and there didn't seem to be a lot of choice at the time.
Sadly, my wife lost her battle with that terrible disease last month and trying to sell a WAV is not easy. They are in demand, I know this, but when you roll up to a new car retailer, they are not interested, so I'm currently trying to sell it on Ebay, happy to take a 4000 loss.
It's easy being wise after the event, but my advice is that when you reach the stage where you need an adapted vehicle, forget the estate car with a hoist for the scooter idea, go straight for a WAV. Make it a big one because those MND wheelchairs won't fit into all WAVs.

njm
28th August 2016, 16:09
When my wife, Anne, got around on a mobility scooter, we took an estate care on the Motorbility scheme which we kept for 18 months until the sccoter had to be replaced by a WAV in February. Given the size of her wheelchair we had to look for one of the larger WAVs and to get one through Motorbility meant a wait until September, which we weren't prepared to do. We surrendered the estate car and had to buy the WAV and there didn't seem to be a lot of choice at the time.
Sadly, my wife lost her battle with that terrible disease last month and trying to sell a WAV is not easy. They are in demand, I know this, but when you roll up to a new car retailer, they are not interested, so I'm currently trying to sell it on Ebay, happy to take a 4000 loss.
It's easy being wise after the event, but my advice is that when you reach the stage where you need an adapted vehicle, forget the estate car with a hoist for the scooter idea, go straight for a WAV. Make it a big one because those MND wheelchairs won't fit into all WAVs.

Yorkie:
could you send me a private message with details of your WAV. I am in the market for one.
Charles

Yorkie
29th August 2016, 08:37
Hi Charles
I would if I could see how to do that. You'll see by my profile that I'm very new to this forum though I think that Anne might have posted a few items.
My WAV is on Ebay, with lots of other vehicles. Just go to Ebay and search for WAV. Mine's the Ford Tourneo on at 18,000 ONO but there are loads of vehicles on there. The problem I had, when I bought it was to find something that would take a big wheelchair but not look like a van. Good luck and if anybody can tell me how to send a private message I'd be obliged.

john
29th August 2016, 08:56
Hi Yorkie,
Presume you are in my part of the world.
You need to post 5 times to be able to pm. To pm you need to go to your profile where you will see send private message.
To do 3 more posts just post 3 full stops or single letters.

John

Yorkie
29th August 2016, 09:17
Thanks John, and yes, a village just outside York and my next two posts will follow

Yorkie
29th August 2016, 09:18

Yorkie
29th August 2016, 09:18

John14
29th August 2016, 11:11
.... . .-.. .-.. --- / .... .- ...- . / .- / -. .. -.-. . / -.. .- -.--

Terry
29th August 2016, 11:59
Hi;

I would think that a larger van like the Ford Tourneo would give a much better ride for the wheelchair person as the springing is probably better and they sit forward of the rear wheels.

Love Terry

Yorkie
30th August 2016, 12:09
Yes, Anne said that the ride was quite comfy. She had a speaking app on her Ipad which was linked to a bluetooth speaker in the front of the car which enabled her to criticise my driving, just like old times

bakeit Forum