PDA

View Full Version : My mum is dying

Mrso
6th November 2016, 21:35
Hi, mum was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. She has rapidly progressing bulbar palsy.

She was paralysed, couldnt speak or communicate, bladder stopped working and her swallow had almost gone and she refused the peg.

So she was pretty poorly overall. On monday last week she was taken to hospital after an incident at the care home left her with wounds and she was severley dehydrated. Her kidneys were affected by the dehydration as she had stage 3 kidney disease as well.

The drs said she is so poorly, doesnt want the peg so there is not much that can be done for her now. No treatment will make her better and she will be suffering going forward so decision was taken to let her go. She was given a morphine substitute and sedatives and for the last 7 days she has been dying.. its still going on.

Is this normal? What would have happened if they would have hydrated her and kept her concious? Would she have started to starve to death without the peg anyway?

Im really struggling with this, i cant understand how we got from a hemotoma and being dehydrated to drugging her up and starving her to death. To say its a bit traumatic is an understatement.

I never expected it to be like this.

Terry
6th November 2016, 22:12
Hi Mrso;

Sorry too hear your pain. There are things that can be done to hydrate her and feed her but do you want to prolong her pain. There used to be a plan that I think was called the Liverpool pathway, where they do reduce food and liquid leaving people to pass away quicker and in less pain. It sounds horrific, and it must be for their loved ones but might be for the best.

You best speak to the doctors about options and other things.

Hugs, Terry

MNDConnect
8th November 2016, 10:05
Hi Mrso,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I have sent you a private message. Please do let me know if there is anything further we can do.

Kindest regards

Ruth

bakeit Forum