PDA

View Full Version : Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Jeannie
15th September 2011, 10:10
Robyn, can you please leave this thread here for a day or so before moving it to the finance section :D

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) was mentioned at the AGM.

Brief account: http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f60.htm

What is PIP?

The personal independence payment (PIP) replaces working age disability living allowance (DLA) from April 2013.

PIP will have many similarities with DLA. In particular it will have two components: a daily living component (which has similarities to the current care component) and a mobility component.

Despite the similarities to disability living allowance DA believes that the main intention behind PIP is to save money and that the tests, as laid out in the draft regulations, are more strict.

Part 4 of the Welfare Reform Bill 2011, currently going through Parliament, contains proposals to introduce PIP.
What are the rules?

To get the personal independence payment you must:

* be age 16-64 (or below pensionable age, whichever is the higher)
* satisfy the daily living and/or mobility activities test for 6 months prior to claiming and be likely to continue to satisfy this test for a period of at least 6 months after claiming.
* pass the residence and presence test
* pass the habitual residence test

You will not be able to claim PIP once you reach the age of 65 but you will be able to stay on PIP if you claimed/received it before the age cut off point.
How much is PIP?

Personal Independence Payment will have two components:

* daily living component
* mobility component

Each component has two rates.

daily living component standard rate Ė If the personís ability to carry out daily living activities is limited by the personís physical or mental condition; and the person meets the required period condition.

daily living component enhanced rate Ė if the personís ability to carry out daily living activities is severely limited by the personís physical or mental condition; and the person meets the required period condition.

mobility component standard rate Ė if the person is of or over the age prescribed for the purposes of this subsection; the personís ability to carry out mobility activities is limited by the personís physical or mental condition; and the person meets the required period condition.

mobility component enhanced rate - if the person is of or over the age prescribed for the purposes of this subsection; the personís ability to carry out mobility activities is severely limited by the personís physical or mental condition; and the person meets the required period condition.

As yet the amounts for these rates have not been set.

People with a terminal illness (same definition as for DLA) will automatically receive the daily living component enhanced rate and will not have to satisfy the period condition for the mobility component.

People in care homes, hospitals or prison will not receive PIP.

It is intended that personal independence payment awards will be for a fixed term, except in exceptional circumstances. The length of award will be based on your needs and the likelihood of your health condition or impairment changing. Continues.......

More detailed account www.dwp.gov.uk/pip

Robyn Copley-Hirst
15th September 2011, 10:27
:)

Deal, Jeannie!

Also if I do move it in a few days or so, I'll leave a permanent redirect, so that even though it's been moved the title will still appear in 'Life with MND' for people to click through to the thread from.

Robyn

Jeannie
15th September 2011, 10:47
Great thanks, Robyn ;-)

luce
15th September 2011, 21:00
my mum has been told that when she has to have carers coming in she will have to pay for some of it from her DLA. Never realised that you had to pay for carers that the state send in from your DLA. I was hoping that she could have used the DLA to kind of support/ thanks to the friends that help her (unpaid carers) that are so essential (eg flowers/ meal at her house when they are cooking for her etc)

sarahezekiel
15th September 2011, 22:36
Jeannie

Do you know if the amount of DLA, for those already receiving it, will change? Hope not. I don't have the energy to trawl through all the information (translates to I'm lazy!)

Thanks for posting. I keep thinking why can't everything just stay the same!

Sarah x

Jeannie
16th September 2011, 08:20
It doesn't say, Sarah, but I'm sure It said it was about saving money.

G60dubber
16th September 2011, 09:13
Their stock phrase is normaly ' there'll be winners and losers' followed by ' they will be protected by a transitional period'...... Seen it all before sadly from the other side of the fence.

sarahezekiel
16th September 2011, 22:08
I won't be able to cope if they cut my DLA :(

MND Connect helpline