PDA

View Full Version : Forum Spambots/Bots

Ellie
8th March 2017, 13:00
Hi Admin,

Apart from increasing your workload, are we, those of us logged onto the forum, at any security risk from these Bots?

There are 20 such Bots logged on atm. Given their user IDs are always in the same format, they are easy to spot.

They make me nervous and I often log out. Any reassurance you can offer?

Thanks,
Ellie.

Terry
8th March 2017, 13:34
I haven't a clue what you're talking about , Chimp, (the same as normal then);

What do the "Bots" format look like?

Love, the Cat

Ellie
8th March 2017, 14:07
Hi Sweetie,

Take a look at the Member List (in Community) and the first 2 pages are mostly these Bots.

User IDs are 10 digit, always starting with a number.

xx Chimp.

Fru
8th March 2017, 14:45
Hi Ellie,
Just had a look and I know what you mean. We had better keep our guard up for when the quacks start bombarding us with stuff. There was a weird one on here the other day and I got that feeling too. If the bots really want to do it they will in less than 5 mins. I think I will change my password.
Best wishes

ccinjersey
8th March 2017, 16:59
Hi Ellie

What can these bots do here ?

Is it safe to log in ?

CCxox

Terry
8th March 2017, 18:12
See what you mean Ellie;

They are obvious and should be removed.

I don't know what risk they are Cc, or if we need to change our passwords Fru. I would think that it would not be a good idea at the moment but hopefully "Admin" will advise.

Love Terry

Fru
8th March 2017, 21:38
Yes, I agree with you Terry, we should wait for Admin to act. I couldn't find anywhere to change our login password, so perhaps they will look at that. The 'bots' just try to find out stuff about us such as our emails. These details get sold on so that we get phishing spam... nice : )
Found the change password place now

Admin_MND
9th March 2017, 10:03
Thank you all for raising this with us, we appreciate your concerns and are speaking with our hosting service.

Best wishes
Moderator team

Ellie
9th March 2017, 12:52
I am surprised, and somewhat worried, that you are not aware of Bots on the forum.

There are over 40 Bots listed as "Members" and one online atm; surely you can delete these???

Ellie.

Fru
9th March 2017, 13:18
Hi Ellie, you are right
Fru

Terry
9th March 2017, 18:19
I've got to say, I'm shocked that they have not been removed them today and us given some professional guidance.

Maybe it's just not a problem and it is safe.

Alienista606
9th March 2017, 19:01
Terry

BOOTS ARE NEVER SAFE
Guidance .... I know one...

ALWAYS LOG OFF FROM FORUM

ccinjersey
9th March 2017, 21:45
Hi Max

Can these bots cause a virus in your computer ??

xox

ccinjersey
9th March 2017, 22:56
I Googled bot stuff here's one important thing I found. Confusing to me but most computer stuff is to me. Are there people behind these bots controlling them ????

So What Can You Do to Protect Yourself From Malicious Bots?

1. Scan your computer with a Second Opinion Scanner

Many anti-virus programs don't detect bot net-related software. Consider installing a using a second opinion scanner such as Malwarebytes to see if your primary anti-virus might have missed something.

2. Don't click links or give out any personal info when chatting online with strangers

While you might be trying to put yourself out there in the dating world you should never give out any personal information while chatting to anyone online. Even when talking on Facebook, if you notice something odd about a question your friend is asking you, call or text them to see if it is really them.

Alienista606
10th March 2017, 16:23
Hi CC ....
Bots are commonly used by hackers/scammer. Always are someone behind them.
Wery common purpose to make Bots are to "harvest " operation power to crack access to company servers or hack some different sources of very sensitive information.. like US Democrats party or crash internet like in 2016.
Well... Bots are pain in bottom, and big NONO for everyone who know how to use them.
BTW remember Seti Project?? This was first Global Bots project

ccinjersey
10th March 2017, 17:02
Hi Max, and thanks for additional info.

Scary stuff these bots.

Indeed I think I'm now going to blame these bots as well for helping elect President Lunatic !! :(

xox

Ellie
10th March 2017, 17:06
It is noteworthy that Admin MNDA has not been online since 12.17 yesterday.

In fact nobody from the forum has been online for almost 30 hours, which is not unusual but, given there are live issues, It's somewhat worrying.

Ellie.

Alienista606
10th March 2017, 17:43
Scary?? not really. Powerful..Yes
Bots aren't always on. They Are waked up when Host need them.

ccinjersey
10th March 2017, 19:47
Hi Max

Powerful indeed, especially with the intent to do harm.

xox

Admin_MND
13th March 2017, 16:07
Thank you all for your patience. Firstly please be assured that we have various members of the team with seed accounts which moderate the forum throughout the day, either by logging in or viewing the forum as a guest. The Admin_MND account is not always logged in as the team will only need to do so when undertaking certain moderation duties.

We have reviewed the accounts that have been described as “bots” and are working to delete them from the system. We want to reassure users that these accounts have likely been created by an automated process designed to simply register dummy accounts for the purposes of causing systems to slow down. Such accounts do not receive full access privileges and we do not believe they represent a threat to data security. They are “spam” that clogs up the system rather than any level of automated script or “malware”.

We are working with the provider of the forum software to understand how we can improve the spam filters to block such automated registrations from happening.

Best wishes
Moderation team

Fru
2nd October 2017, 18:17
Hi, Can anyone explain why we are getting sudden spikes with people using this forum. It is usual for maybe a couple of hundred to be here but thousands...?
Fru

Dude
2nd October 2017, 18:22
Fru Do you have a theory ?. Dude x

Fru
2nd October 2017, 18:31
Hi Dude, Two actually. Maybe bots or maybe a large university putting out a course which directs the students to this forum to help them to gain some insight into MND. Can't think of anything else can you?
Fru

Dude
2nd October 2017, 19:32
No Fru. Spooky ain't it ?. Dude x

Fru
2nd October 2017, 19:37
Yep X

bakeit Forum