PDA

View Full Version : How do I go to the loo if I'm totally paralysed

DarlingD
27th November 2017, 15:50
Currently I have limited mobility in my upper body but cannot move from the hips down! I'm have to be hoisted onto my commode chair and wheeled to the loo. If I become totally paralysed how do I go to the loo?
I have been told briefly about catheterisation through the stomach for the bladder, but what happens 'bowel' wise? Can anyone enlighten me?

Ellie
27th November 2017, 16:21
Hi DD,

Although your legs don't work, they're not "paralysed" as if you had a spinal cord injury, so the process of going to the loo is still the same, albeit with some later stage possible complications. The vast majority of us manage to maintain bladder and bowel control.

Many of us need laxatives due to mobility issues, medication and/or a decreased ability to push due to weakened muscles. It is important to keep bowels moving and not to get constipated.

It can happen, though it's not too common, that the bladder and bowel sphincter muscles weaken.

It is possible to have a Colostomy bag for the bowels, but this doesn't often happen, and is sometimes done for convenience rather than necessity.

Love Ellie.

Sorry DD & MND Connect, I just noticed this wasn't in the General Forum area!

DarlingD
27th November 2017, 16:46
Sorry, have I posted this in the wrong place?? :-(

MNDConnect
27th November 2017, 16:50
Hi DarlingD,

As Ellie has mentioned the process of going to the loo is still the and it is rare for bladder control to be affected. Someone with MND may experience problems with their bowel habits due to decreased mobility or weakened muscles but the GP can prescribe medications to help with this. I hope this helps answer your question? If you need any further information please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,
Adele

MNDConnect
27th November 2017, 16:53
Hi Ellie,

Please do not apologise for replying to DD, when people post on the 'ASK MND Connect' thread we always encourage and welcome other forum users to reply to the message as you can always offer invaluable advise and guidance. Please do use this area of the forum in the same way as the general forum, the only difference is when its on here we will also respond :)

Best Wishes,

Adele

Ellie
27th November 2017, 17:14
OK, thanks Adele!

Ellie
27th November 2017, 17:17
Sorry, have I posted this in the wrong place?? :-(

No hun, I thought I had.

Ellie x

bakeit Forum