PDA

View Full Version : Slow degeration and PIP recieved - what mobility car?

Lynne K
24th January 2018, 19:34
I have been told that I have a slow degeneration type of MND, no further name given to it. I have just been awarded the higher rate of PIP so I'm searching for a suitable mobility car. I drive without problems. I'm a driving instructor but giving up after my last pupils test tomorrow. I am finding walking and ballancing very difficult so have fallen when getting out of my Fiesta when its in a tight space or on uneven ground. I think a vehicle that's seats sit higher up in relation to the ground would make it easier to get in and out. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also do I need to think of a vehicle that can fit a folded wheelchair to future proof it? Mobility car deals are for 3 years. I want to keep my independance for as long as possible. Any comments are welcomme. Thanks. Lynne

Lynne K
24th January 2018, 19:44
Please excuse. I posted my thread about a mobility car in the wrong forum :( Lynne

Annb
24th January 2018, 20:27
Wrong forum, or not, thought I would reply.

I have a Honda Jazz. It has the ability to fit a wheelchair easily in the boot because there is no lip to lift it over. Alternatively, the back seats folds up and a wheelchair can in the large space. that is freed up. The seats are in a good position and it drives well. The Jazz is very reliable and very reasonable to insure and run, I can recommend it without reservation.

Ann

Lynne K
24th January 2018, 20:40
Thanks Ann. It'll be on my 'go to see' list.

Lynne K
24th January 2018, 20:57
Thanks Ann. It'll be on my 'go to see' list.

Barry52
24th January 2018, 22:50
Hi Lynne,

I was at the same position as you 2 years ago. I researched many vehicles and tested a few on my shortlist. I wanted to fit a hoist for my scooter and be able to back onto the seat and swing my legs in. I now have a small folding power wheelchair which also fits. A number of SUV vehicles fall into the category I wanted and in the end I chose aa Audi Q3 because I have had several Audi’s over the years.

Whatever you choose opt for the hoist on your order as I had mine retro fitted and it cost 1200. Of course cost is a consideration and the more expensive vehicles will require a larger contribution but over 3 years the Motability scheme is a no brainer.

Good luck choosing and let us know how you get on.

Barry

Lynne K
25th January 2018, 00:51
Thanks Barry. I'll ask about a hoist when I go looking for cars. I saw some Audi's on the net and liked the look of them but the cheapest wanted 495 ish up front contribution. The other specs went up in 000s. I've mostly driven Fords of various sizes. We have a family Focus but I want independance so getting my own car. I'm waiting for a mobility brochure to drop through my letter box. I haven't recieved the confirmation letter from the PIP Dept yet. But they rang me over a week ago to say I got the higher rate. So have to wait for that letter as my proof before I go looking. Lynne

Barry52
25th January 2018, 10:24
Hi Lynne,

The Motability website is very good and it has all the vehicle options listed with dimensions which are important for hoist fitting and wheelchair storage. I have friends who have a Ford Kuga which is disability friendly but I don’t know how much Motability want as up front payment.

Enjoy the experience.

Barry x

Terry
25th January 2018, 12:24
Hi Lynne;

Defiantly get an automatic. I got a van (WAV) with a electric ram and had some handles put on it which was great because I could run a medium sized scooter into it and get out and drive. I still use it some 7 years later but in the back in a wheelchair with my wife driving.

Just a thought.

Love Terry

Pinkelle
28th January 2018, 14:35
Anyone know any thing about the volkswagen caddy?

Lynne K
28th January 2018, 15:18
Thanks Terry

Terry
28th January 2018, 16:22
Hi Lynne;

I bought a second hand Kangoo about 7 years ago. It had an electric ram which turned out to be invaluable. I had a rail put on the back hinged door with a stay on it to hold it open. A handle put on the other rear door outside and a rail put all the way along to above the drivers door.

I could then drive my scooter straight into the back and walk around shutting doors etc and drive away.

I still use the grab rails sometimes although I am almost wheelchair bound. I have not driven for about 4 years now, so I go in the back and my wife or my granddad drive me.

I decided to buy as it worked out a lot cheaper but you do have all the hassles of running a car which the motability scheme would take away.

Love Terry

Lynne K
28th January 2018, 16:35
Hi Terry. What Van do you have and where did you get handles put on? Was it inside for helping you get out of your scooter or wheelchair and into the drivers seat? Did you not get motability for your van. If not how would you think private purchase works as opposed to the motability scheme. I'm leaning towards motability because it sounds like a complete package and relatively trouble free. I wouldn't have to worry about servicing or insurance. My insurance would be higher after three and a half yrs as a driving instructor so motability would remove that worry.

Terry
28th January 2018, 16:46
I have seen may things but never this Lynne;

You have said thanks before I posted an answer, not so unusual in itself.

I have answered all of the question before you asked it.

Huummm???????????????????????

I best not ask how.

Love Terry

Lynne K
24th June 2018, 17:18
I got a Ford Grand C-Max with a hoist that can lift 100kg. I had to pay 1, 435 up front. Just as well I'd been saving up for a new teaching car. I got the car about 6 weeks ago and I love driving it. I haven't been out much but it's great to know that I can whenever I do. I'm going to save up for my next vehicle in 3 years and hopefully will be able to get a WAV.

Barry52
25th June 2018, 09:50
That’s great news Lynne. I’m waiting to see if DVLA will grant me a new license. They are writing to my consultant and if necessary I will take a competency test. My biggest fear is loosing the independence that driving gives us.

Barry x

Lynne K
25th June 2018, 12:56
Good luck Barry. DVLA rang my consultant and she told them I can drive. So they gave me a 3 year licence. Lynne

bakeit Forum