PDA

View Full Version : Possible TV appearance

mik
13th October 2011, 13:04
Hello there,
Mik here, I was just wondering what people's thoughts might be as I have been approached to possibly appear on the Jeremy Kyle show to talk about motor neurones disease and how it has affected me and my family. Nothing has been set in stone yet but it is a possibility, I am hoping to hear something tomorrow. One of the reasons I want to do it is just to raise awareness, any thoughts would be grateful.
Thank you

Batty
13th October 2011, 13:17
Not a positive programme!

Chris
13th October 2011, 13:30
Maybe not the best program but any awareness raising is good.

mik
13th October 2011, 13:30
Not a positive programme!

Well thank you for your constructive comment. LOL
I want to go on to raise awareness and to show that there is a positive side to the way we live with our illness, I don't want to go on there and be negative I want to show people that we can be positive about the way we live with this illness. I am not going on to say how bad I have it and that I want to end my life which is what we generally see on TV about this disease. I am going to raise awareness which I think is a positive thing.
Plus TV channels are not exactly beating down the door to show this disease on the television in a positive light.

Batty
13th October 2011, 13:36
I understand where you are coming from, let us know when it is on. Regards Mark. p.s. I think his programme is more suitable for the current charities threads on this forum lol

mik
13th October 2011, 13:41
I understand that its trash TV and certainly not everyone's cup of tea. But it receives 2 to 3,000,000 viewers a day and that's a lot more people we can make aware of this.
Also I'm not going on for a lie detector test or DNA. LOL

Bels
13th October 2011, 13:47
Hi Mik,

I think any publicity is good publicity particulary going on with the attitude you are. May just be worth getting a really clear understanding about what angle the programme is wanting to take.

Good luck with it.

Bels

Z3 Driver
13th October 2011, 14:10
hi, any show that will raise awareness is good tv in my book. so good on ya.

ps make sure you wear a Liverpool top also . :)

there's at least 2 reds fans on here !

Kev

mik
13th October 2011, 14:19
Thank you for your responses,
The reason this all came about was because someone suggested to me that they were doing a show about treating people to a surprise if they had a hard year, so I nominated my wife. After speaking to them about it they asked about the possibility of me and my wife going on and speaking about our experience.
I am hopefully speaking to them again on Friday so I will know more then. I will make sure that my positivity and everyone else's positivity gets put across in this as well, although I'm sure I will still have to speak about the devastation that this causes. I will also explain how I cope with it all and that we are not finished and our life just changes.

G60dubber
13th October 2011, 18:58
I'd say why not, he's not going to run it down or sensationalise negative aspects. Publicity across that many viewers would be good. IMHO

Countyboy
13th October 2011, 19:30
Go ahead and tell it as it really is.
CB.

Crazy girl
13th October 2011, 20:50
Think it's a brilliant thing to get it out there to so many people....as a young family too, go tell them how bloody awful it is!!

Good luck
Tracy

sarahezekiel
14th October 2011, 17:37
Hi Mik

I hope that you'll be able to go on the JK show. Any publicity is good publicity!

Good luck - I'll keep everything crossed!

Sarah

jadedjohn
14th October 2011, 18:25
i agree, i wrote to ITV this morning a few weeks ago, but never had a reply - here's what i wrote. i might try again, as you say, any publicity is good publicity

john

Dear Sir/Madam

I watched with interest your program featuring the sad story of Chris Broad, and his wife Michelle, coping with motor neurone disease.

I was diagnosed with this condition in October 2010 at the age of 42, and would very much like to share my positive story on coping with this illness. I have written a press brief giving an outline on what I am trying to achieve, this has achieved a small amount of publicity in the local media.

I do hope you can give me the opportunity to raise public awareness of this terrible incurable illness, from which five people die every day in the UK.

I look forward to hearing from you.

kind regards

John Saunders

Telephone: xxxxxxx

www.jaded-john.net

A Wembdon man living with a terminal illness has set his sights on raising £500,000 for charity.

John Saunders, 43, was formally diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease in October 2010, and since then has devoted his time to fundraising for the Motor Neurone Disease Charity Association, and raising the awareness of the debilitating condition.

With the help of former colleagues from EDF Energy’s Hinkley Point B power station, where John worked for 27 years. John and his team have raised over £10,000 in just over six months. John, who is married to Sharon, and has two children, Charlotte, aged 12, and Louis, aged 5, said: “After the initial shock of being told I had this incurable disease, I contacted the local support group and was astounded to learn how little financial support it receives from the public and private sectors.
“So after speaking to some friends at work, I decided to form a small fundraising team to raise as much money as we can.”

Since then the group have been active and some of the fundraising events organised so far include a Las Vegas themed night at The Webbington Hotel, a sponsored fun run, collections and on line auctions. The team’s next big fundraiser planned is a Christmas party at Bridgwater Sports & Social Club in December.
“It’s a lot of fun organising these events”, added John, who regularly attends John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford for treatment. “It also helps keep me active, and gives me something to aim for.”
Motor Neurone Disease (MND) is a progressive terminal illness that affects two in 100,000 people. Five people die from the disease every day, and 50% die within 14 months of diagnosis.
John has also been instrumental in raising public awareness of this little known disease, and appeared on local television during Motor Neurone Disease Awareness Week, earlier in the year, and has been nominated to be an Olympic torch bearer in 2012.
If you want to find out more about John’s battle with the disease and his fundraising exploits, log onto www.jaded-john.net

bakeit Forum