PDA

View Full Version : Room sizes - advise please

jadedjohn
19th October 2011, 18:49
Hi all

I'm in the closing stages of finalising the plans for my disabled extension. The room sizes at present are:

Wet room - 7' x 7' (2.1 x 2.1m)
Bedroom - 15'9" x 13'9" (4.8x4.2m)
Dressing room - 7'x6'6"
Day room (my hideaway/boys pad/games room) - 12'6" x 13'9" (3.8x4.2m)

Do you think the rooms will give me enough room to move about in a wheelchair, in particular the wet room, I may pih a bit from the bedroom to make my boys room a bit bigger:D

Any advice great fully received

John

Cupcake
19th October 2011, 21:15
Hi John Jason was quite fortunate to have part funding from the council for his bedroom and wet room but we didn't have any say in the design or sizes but his wet room is about the same size as your proposed one and it is plenty big enough the bedroom is smaller than yours but we manage and he doesn't have a dressing room so I think you will be fine with those sizes

Michelle

jadedjohn
19th October 2011, 21:28
Hi Michelle

Thanks for that, the main reason of me asking was my OT suggested the wet room shoud be 2700 x 2100 as a min!

We are not eligible for any help from the council by the way:mad:

John

Cupcake
19th October 2011, 21:57
I know it's **** isn't it how some can get help and some can't I think everyone should be entitled to help regardless of savings or salary we only got part funding because Jason had already stopped working when we applied and it took 10 months to complete but it has made life a lot easier so hope you get everything sorted soon.xx

Michelle

Jeannie
20th October 2011, 09:26
Hi John,

Darren said the wetroom seems a little small. You have to bare in mind a couple of things such as room for hoists, carers and the size of shower chairs such as the one pictured are quite large plus your a tall guy.

Will Sharon be sharing the bedroom? if so I'd keep it the size it is.

Don't get me started on funding lol

http://www.showerremodel.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Handicapped-Shower-Chair-Beach-Style.jpg

jadedjohn
20th October 2011, 09:49
nice one Jeannie, please thank Darren for me, based on what you said and the research I've done I'm going to pinch 600 mm from the dressing room, which will give me a wet room of 2.1m x 2.7m which seems to be the industry standard size?

Yes, Sharon is going to be sharing the room, my OT has said that I will need a moving type bed thing (I'm sure you know what I mean - apparently they are about 4 foot wide - and her suggestion was to put a single bed next to it - so that's 7 foot of the bed!

mind you, I found these last night http://www.pocketdoorshop.co.uk/ which will save a lot of space on your door swinging!

When I've got the agreed plans I will post them on here - funding - it sickens me every time I think about it, people getting moved, 30k wet room conversions:mad:

john:D:D

Batty
20th October 2011, 11:04
Hi John, I also had to fund my own wet room, the beauty of this is you are in complete control, the only thing I would recommend is that you make sure the roof joists are up to taking ceiling track hoists, this was pointed out to me and had I not specified this to the builder he would of used the cheapest option.
I also think the bigger the wet room the better as shower chairs are big and awkward, hope this helps.
Regards Mark

jadedjohn
20th October 2011, 11:07
Thanks Mark

My architect is familiar with disabled builds (not MND) but he said we would double up on the roof joists

John

Jeannie
20th October 2011, 11:32
Your welcome, John.

Do you really need a dressing room? would a wardrobe not suffice? I agree with Mark- the bigger the better. I'm loving the sliding doors and think they would work well.

I personally dislike my home looking disabled and I have refused handrails etc...I think your OT is referring to a hospital type bed, John, you can purchase normal 3ft adjustable beds with height adjustment like the one here > http://www.furniture123.co.uk/layouts/item.asp/itmid/8047/d/Kozee-Sleep-Medilift-Single-Adjustable-Bed/s/?cm_mmc=shopsubmit-_-null-_-null-_-null&istCompanyId=967007e0-9190-4aef-a2ea-dfc4333985ec&istItemId=xaqqaa&istBid=t if you are having a manual hoist ensure you have enough space under the bed for the legs of the hoist to fit under. Then as OT said Sharon 3ft bed can adjoin yours ;-) shop around for a good price.

Good tip Mark re ceiling hoist.

jadedjohn
20th October 2011, 13:26
hi Jeannie

No we don't really need a dressing room, it was just the wet room goes across the back of the extension and it was leftover space, we have now took to foot out of this room to make the wet room 2.7x2.1 m, - so now it's the cupboard where we can stick some fitted wardrobes in!

john
xx

Norman
20th October 2011, 14:07
Hi John.
In my wet room I have found you need room to transfer from the shower chair, which takes space, also I have had to have the fan replaced several times i.e , I think in the shower area ,it seems to pick up to much steam. My glass shower wall spitts so a carer can shower me if needed, and I found that I did not allow enough space , so you can slide onto the loofrom the side. the dimension of my wetroom are about 12 X 8 feet. I hope that helps Norman

jadedjohn
20th October 2011, 19:13
Hi John.
In my wet room I have found you need room to transfer from the shower chair, which takes space, also I have had to have the fan replaced several times i.e , I think in the shower area ,it seems to pick up to much steam. My glass shower wall spitts so a carer can shower me if needed, and I found that I did not allow enough space , so you can slide onto the loofrom the side. the dimension of my wetroom are about 12 X 8 feet. I hope that helps Norman

Hi Norman

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury/space to build a room of that size - most bedrooms are smaller in modern houses!

John

bakeit Forum