PDA

View Full Version : Electric curtain closer

computatec
26th October 2011, 06:32
I need to find a cheap reliable electric curtain opening and closing device as I can no longer do this by hand. Does anyone have any advice about this please? It is about 3meters wide and the curtains are2 meters deep.

Clive

Mr-Tumble
26th October 2011, 07:42
Hello Computatec.

Here are some links that may help.

http://powercord.org.uk/
http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2009/july-047-august/automatic-curtain-opener.985749.lynkx
http://www.cleverhome.com.au/products/motorised-electric-blinds.shtml
http://www.automaticblindsdirect.co.uk/electriccurtain.php

Dave

Batty
26th October 2011, 10:56
Hi Clive, You should contact an OT to get an environmental control(such as Possum) which will help you control more things in the future.
Regards Mark

computatec
26th October 2011, 12:20
Hi Clive, You should contact an OT to get an environmental control(such as Possum) which will help you control more things in the future.
Regards Mark

That's a very good idea Mark. We already have too many twitchers / remotes to handle so we don't need any more. Thanks!

Clive

angnmick
26th October 2011, 12:25
Hi Clive
Marks right Possum do incorporate their control system to also close the curtains, as they asked if Mick needed that but he told them thats what i'm for LOL so get onto the OT, they will definately sort it out for you. xx Ang

computatec
26th October 2011, 12:30
Thanks Dave, the Eeziglide should do the job.

Clive

luce
26th October 2011, 23:31
Hiya Clive

you say you have so many switches and remotes.... can you operate them? push the buttons? lift the weight? turn the key of the door? get out of bed to switch the light on etc?

My mum has possum and it is programed to switch the light on, TV, DVD, photo frame, CD player, dim the light, answer the phone, speak for her with a few key phrases etc, and in a fortnight it will open her front door for her

hopefully you will not need possum but it can make dealing with all the gadgets easier- having them all operated from one easy to operate control

luce

jadedjohn
27th October 2011, 10:04
luce

that sounds wicked! - how much is it though?

john

Batty
27th October 2011, 10:15
Hi John,
Environmental controls are free and not means tested, and should be available through your DSC.
Regards Mark

angnmick
27th October 2011, 15:26
Hi John

They have kitted Mick out with it, just so he didn't have to hand over the TV remote to a woman lol, and its so easy for him to use, you need to contact your OT and they contact them for you, its given Mick a bit of his independance back. xx Ang

jadedjohn
27th October 2011, 15:28
thanks ange

john
xx

luce
27th October 2011, 23:56
luce

that sounds wicked! - how much is it though?

john

Hi John
As mentioned - it is free (via the NHS I believe)- yep, OT referral. However the door opener is something that may not be funded free as this was approved via the disabled facilities grant.There will be a letter at mums saying how much it costs, will let you know.

i mentioned a few things that mums environmental controls operate, however they can be linked in to many things if required (eg turn the heating on and off)- we decided that the curtains/ blinds would be done manually by someone else.
have a good weekend
Lucy

computatec
28th October 2011, 11:27
Hiya Clive

you say you have so many switches and remotes.... can you operate them? push the buttons? lift the weight? turn the key of the door? get out of bed to switch the light on etc?

Hi Luce

I had an awful night thinking about what you said here. Am I going to get so weak I won't be able push buttons on a remote? Of course, it is a possibility and I am already experiencing weak fingers and loss of dexterity in one hand. It is a rather frightening prospect, having to leave the remote for the TV in charge of my wife and I haven't yet got used to her taking over the car! This is a cruel disease.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice, which seems to say don't prat about solving just one problem, when there are many similar ones on the way. As soon as I actually see an OT I will ask for a referal for the Possum.

Clive

angnmick
28th October 2011, 15:17
Yes Clive, thats were it nearly led me having the controls at last, but Possum soon put a stop to that ha ha But Mick does allow me to still close the curtains manually for him and it doesn't make him a brew either so thats another job I'm privledged to do too LOL, they are great at solving problems. Oh and Mick found it hard letting go of the car too, Had it adapted first with hand controls. So really relate to how you feel about all this. xx Ang

luce
1st November 2011, 00:02
Hi Clive
I am sorry that the thought of possibilities left you feeling awful. of course, you may not experience those limitations- i think that MND does not always progress the same way with everyone, there are different things that are disabling for individuals.

If your wife does end up having the control, just let her know that you need choice too (convince her that she is your hands and needs to push the channel you want- at least half of the time)!

My mum finds just keep your head in today and enjoy your time (and plan a bit for the future as things such as adaptations/ gadgets etc take time to sort out).
let us know how you get on with the OT, they may say that it is an option when needed.

re funding, i think it is NHS funded too. However, we didn't get the curtain opener and i think it was wise as someone can do that daily
all the best
Lucy

bakeit Forum