PDA

View Full Version : constant pain in degraded left hand

jadedjohn
9th January 2011, 21:59
hi all

i have had mnd since oct 2009, and to date only my left hand has become useless ie i cant grip anything, the muscle between my thumb and next finger has gone.

but basically its in constant pain - normally putting a glove on helps.

is this normal? i dont really want to start taking paracetamol for it, i was thinking of trying to find some sort of heated glove.

kind regards

john

Liz Burr
10th January 2011, 20:49
Hi John,

That sounds like a good idea. I've had a look on the web and there seems to be plenty out there. Have you tried putting heat on it before, like a hot water bottle or one of those microwaveable bags? If that works to reduce the pain, then I guess the gloves are a better, more portable option!

If it carries on though it may be beneficial to have a chat with the GP - they may able to suggest something that doesn't involve long term pain killers - ie referral for physio, or maybe even something like hand massage.

I wonder if anyone else on the forum has tried heated gloves. I also found heated hats and scarves online!! Could start a trend, John!

Best wishes

Liz

jadedjohn
10th January 2011, 21:01
thanks liz

john

Countyboy
10th January 2011, 22:47
Hi John, Further to what Liz has said about heat. Try putting your hand in a bowl of war water, then if your right hand is up to it. Use your right hand to move all your fingers and thumb in the water. If you are unable to do it yourself, then ask your carer to do it for you. You might find it helpful to try some exercise under a shower. The warmth will allow your muscle, tendons etc. stretch and maintain movement for longer.

Best Wishes,

CB.

jadedjohn
11th January 2011, 14:19
thanks CB - your right, it does help when im doing the washing up too - hot water!

john

koala
9th September 2012, 11:59
hi all

i have had mnd since oct 2009, and to date only my left hand has become useless ie i cant grip anything, the muscle between my thumb and next finger has gone.

but basically its in constant pain - normally putting a glove on helps.

is this normal? i dont really want to start taking paracetamol for it, i was thinking of trying to find some sort of heated glove.

kind regards

john

Hi John
After reading your post I got the "go" to register and be able to ask questions.
Till now I am still hoping that they are wrong!!
Like you,my problem is my left hand and exactly like you,my muscle is going away in betewen the thumb and my pointer...
I do have pain also,in my wrist, its realy painful depending on the position that I put my hand on,Is that the same with you??
Find that the cold weather makesmy hand be useless.I do put a glove and after a wile I'm able to work
.I was diagnased July 2012 and at first,January,was only my thumb that "didn't work".now the pointer has not much strengh and the little one gets "stuck"!
Do you have times in the day that you have no problems with the grip and strengh but other times is like a criple hand??
Thank you
Koala

caz
9th September 2012, 14:20
hi hubby has problems with both hands and every second day i use a wax therapy bath.i heat the wax up .first i rub some aqueous cream into his hands.then instead of dipping his hand in the wax i use a brush and coat his hand,let it dry a bit then repeat twice.then i put a plastic food bag over it followed by the hand mitts supplied with the kit.i then sit him in the garden and leave them on for about 30 to 45 mins.take off mitt carefully pull back plastic bag taking the wax with it.then i try and do rom exercises on them.his hands are lovely and warm and it does help him.i also when needed rub voltarol gel on his knuckles as they are quite stiff.got mine off amazon for about 30 quid.hope this helps love caroline x

bakeit Forum