PDA

View Full Version : Good news

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 10:39
I've just had test ride in a nearly new automatic CitroŽn Berlingo. Signed for it. 2018, 9000 miles on clock. Excellent condition, black. Yippie. It's going to be delivered in a week or 2. I pay upfront approximately £450 and will have several hundred back from Motability from the upfront payment that I gave about 15 months ago. I'm going to try to drive it. I haven't driven in a couple of months. My Grande C-Max felt heavy on the steering. I believe that this is lighter. I'm going to put my daughter as 3rd driver so that we can have shopping days out. I feel that it was a very lucky find. From Thorntrees in Leyland. I'm a happy bunny now. Lynne

Terry
18th July 2019, 11:31
Hi Lynne;

Pleased that you've sorted a car out and no need to tell you to take it steady on a quite road to start with.

Happy driving.

Love Terry

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 11:59
Thanks Terry. Lynne

nunhead_man
18th July 2019, 12:00
Good afternoon Lynne

I too am glad you are sorted out and take it easy on the road - watch out for cyclists!

Warmly

Kayleigh
18th July 2019, 12:44
Hi Lynne.

That's great news - I expect you can't wait for the Berlingo to be delivered! Shopping trips with your daughter sound great and I expect you are looking forward to more days out in the countryside too.

Love Kayleigh x

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 13:07
Yea, you are spot on Kayleigh. I forgot to mention that there's dark privacy glass in passenger side windows and the back. The wheelchair siting is great, near to the middle between and not very far back from the front seats. Very comfy seats, much better than the new Peugeot I tried the other week. They were very hard. I'm going to either drive or sit in front passenger seat for as long as I can. Comfy seating is essential with my bad back. This car is less high tech than my Grande C-Max but it has Bluetooth and and my daughter is going to give me back the sat nav that I passed on to her when I got the C-Max with a sat nav built in. Motability said that I can take the hoist out and do what I want with it . But I'd have to put Cmax back to original and that'd be difficult with a big hole cut out of the side wall for the hoist. I can't face the hassle so I'm leaving it in. I hope that the next owner or motability user can get good use out of it. I didn't because my wheelchair is too heavy for it. Happy days :) Lynne

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 13:16
Thanks Andy,
I know that you are being light hearted, which is appreciated :) but I feel like having a very rare blow of my own trumpet: I was a Driving Instructor up to last year, taught all pupils about hazards. I had a high first time pass rate and top standards check test result. So, don't worry. I know my stuff. Its just this dammed disease trying to destroy me. I'm fighting my corner. Lynne

Ellie
18th July 2019, 13:24
Oh that's uplifting news for you Lynne :cool:

Wishing you many happy adventures.

Love Ellie.

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 14:35
Thanks Ellie. I'm still flying on a cloud :). Lynne

Deb
18th July 2019, 14:59
Happy motoring Lynne,

Hope you have some great days out and the sun shines .

Love Debbie x

Barry52
18th July 2019, 15:14
Hi Lynne,

I hope you enjoy the car when it arrives and good for you to keep driving as long as possible. I got my new Motability car 3 weeks ago and I am delighted with it. It was going to cost a lot to remove the hoist from the previous car and install it in the new one so I opted to pay Motability the £120 for a new hoist.

Barry x

Gillette
18th July 2019, 16:00
Oh, Lynne, that's brilliant news! I'm so pleased for you. You just need to pass your wheelchair driving test then there will be no stopping you! I'm looking forward to the two of us going on the rampage in our wheelchairs!

Look out world, the Mad, MND Mademoiselles are coming...

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 19:51
Thanks Dina, Monday afternoon is my outdoor wheelchair test. Fingers crossed that everything goes well. What am I to expect? See you soon, Lynne

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 19:52
Thanks Debbie. I'm certainly looking forward to it. Lynne

Lynne K
18th July 2019, 19:55
Hi Barry. Thanks. I'm glad that you got a new car and hoist recently. Enjoy. Lynne

Sheila
18th July 2019, 21:11
Hi Lynne, good luck with the wheelchair, I am getting mine on Monday afternoon as Well.
Sheila

Gillette
18th July 2019, 21:15
Thanks Dina, Monday afternoon is my outdoor wheelchair test. Fingers crossed that everything goes well. What am I to expect? See you soon, Lynne

Ooh, Lynne, I'm so tempted to wind you up about it! Hee hee hee. But I won't.

They check that you go at an appropriate speed, how well you manoeuvre the chair, that you can negotiate dropped kerbs (I came face to face with a really steep dropped kerb and said I wasn't going to attempt it until I felt more confident), they want to see that you have good road awareness and road sense and you're supposed to cross a fairly busy road.

I have no doubts that you will pass with flying colours.

Sueb
19th July 2019, 11:36
Glad you have a new car that is more suitable for you. Hope you get many happy memories using it.

Steve never had a proper test for his wheelchair. He just went up and down the corridor at wheelchair services.

Sue

Dis1960
19th July 2019, 11:43
So happy for you finding a car that suits

Lynne K
19th July 2019, 16:21
Thanks Dis, can't wait :) Lynne

Lynne K
19th July 2019, 16:27
Thanks Dina and Sue. The dropped kerbs around here are a mixed bag. Some are awful, not safe to try and others nearly flat. A lot people park on. So I'd have to go backwards to an earlier dropped kerb and travel past the offending vehicle to the next dropped kerb. Lynne

Gillette
19th July 2019, 17:05
Thanks Dina and Sue. The dropped kerbs around here are a mixed bag. Some are awful, not safe to try and others nearly flat. A lot people park on. So I'd have to go backwards to an earlier dropped kerb and travel past the offending vehicle to the next dropped kerb. Lynne

Crikey, I don't think I'd want to do that on Outwood Road!

When I drive my wheelchair into the town centre I have to almost go round in circles because so many places don't have dropped kerbs.

Kayleigh
21st July 2019, 12:25
Monday afternoon is my outdoor wheelchair test. Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Good luck with your outdoor wheelchair test tomorrow - I hope everything goes smoothly! I think it's going to be a dry and sunny day tomorrow :cool:

Love Kayleigh x

Lynne K
21st July 2019, 16:43
Thanks Kayleigh. Yes, the forecast for tomorrow is good. It's the start of a very good sunny week. Lynne x

Lynne K
22nd July 2019, 15:15
Passed my wheelchair test. But said yes for some kerb practice with one or other of them. The kerbs and pavements around here are atrocious. But at least I can get out for some fresh air. With the rough pavements it's a bit of a bone shaker. My WAV will be here within a week or two so it's opening up for me and for my husband Steve who won't have to push me any longer, unless we go out in his Focus so can only fit the travel lightweight manual chair in. That'd be seldom. Lynne

Ellie
22nd July 2019, 15:50

Gillette
22nd July 2019, 18:25
Hooray! Well done, Lynne.

I have arranged for your and my wheelchairs to have twin exhaust and six-speed gearbox, together with alloy wheels and, of course, go-faster stripes! We'll be out and at 'em very soon now that you've passed your test. Ha ha ha.

Kayleigh
22nd July 2019, 18:35
Well done Lynne - really pleased that it went well for you! Love Kayleigh x

Sueb
22nd July 2019, 19:04
Well done Lynne.

I know what you mean about the pavements ours here are also atrocious. We often end up on the road except on the main roads of course. Steve takes paracetamol before we go out as it kills his neck.

Sue

Deb
22nd July 2019, 19:21
Yippee... Well done Lynne,

Hope you have some great days out in the sun, especially when you get your WAV. I like Dinas idea of jazzing up our wheelchairs.

I have got used to driving mine with my leg stretched out in a support but I am not risking kerbs, just enjoying sitting outside and reclining with a book.

Happy motoring,
Love Debbie x

Sheila
22nd July 2019, 21:23
Hi Lynne
Glad the wheelchair test went well. I got mine today a salsa mini. And enjoy your wav when you get it.
Best wishes Sheila.

Lynne K
22nd July 2019, 23:24
Thanks Sheila. Good luck with your salsa mini. This is the latest that I've been up for ages. I've been getting up most days around 6.40 a.m so I'm going to be wrecked tomorrow. We've been out. Lynne

Lynne K
22nd July 2019, 23:33
Thanks Debbie. I hope that your leg heals quickly. Enjoy your reading. I'm going to be reading too out back tomorrow whilst Steve is weeding our herb bed. I'm reading 'The Secret Barrister. It's a good read and an eye opener if you're interested in what goes on in the world, on this occassion our struggling court systems. Lynne

Lynne K
22nd July 2019, 23:37
Thanks SueB, the councils ought to do something with our pavements. It's no joke. Lynne

Lynne K
22nd July 2019, 23:39
Thanks Kayleigh, Lynne x

Lynne K
22nd July 2019, 23:40
Dina, :)

Terry
24th July 2019, 17:33
Congratulations Lynne and I hope Sheila;

I'll be extra careful with two more women let loose in their wheelchairs. Seriously, do be extra careful with drops of any sort and side slopes.

Love Terry

Sheila
24th July 2019, 18:53
Thanks Terry, I haven't been out in the road yet. But I will be very careful with side slopes etc my hubby is keeping a eye on me.
Love Sheila

Lynne K
24th July 2019, 20:39
Thanks Terry. As I said the other day I've accepted the offer of more practice on kerbs without being dropped. I was told to go backwards off a kerb but the road is sloped also. I ended up going off the kerb on one back wheel but I quickly got the other off with a bit of help from the wheelchair service woman. She pushed my wheelchair to stop it tipping. She said it could manage up to 4 inches. I think it's unsafe to drive off a kerb that's on a slope/hill. But I'll get practice and will bring up this point before I do it. Lynne

Terry
24th July 2019, 21:12
Hi Lynne;

I have never been shown or told to go off curbs even on the flat, mind you I have a 4 wheel one.

Will it climb up a 4 inch one?

I certainly feel it's unsafe to go off if the road and path are sloping, especially if you followed her instructions and she had to stop your chair from going over. I've been over once, it's a horrible feeling in slow motion and was extremely fortunate to end up with a bruised rib, shoulder, and few grazes.

Love Terry

Deb
24th July 2019, 21:14
Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the book tip.. I have downloaded it because I was looking for some different reading.

My salsa mini is supposed to do up to 4 inch kerbs or drops. It doesn't tip but it feels like it's going to and backing out of the car down the ramp still feels a little scary too. I am getting used to it, however

Go carefully,
Love Debbie x

Barry52
24th July 2019, 21:56
Hi Debbie,

Beware of the 4 inch rule. Firstly you must be fully squared up at the kerb to avoid tipping and even then the wheelchair/scooter can ground. I know it’s not easy but always look for a dropped kerb.

Best wishes,
Barry

Gillette
25th July 2019, 07:41
Hi Lynne, I wasn't offered any extra help to learn about going up or down kerbs. I think I'll give them a ring to see if the wheelchair team can do it for me, too. At the moment they are trying to find me a more comfortable cushion, as well as finding a way of supporting me so that I don't keep flopping to the right.

It can feel quite scary going up or down low kerbstones (about an inch or so) although I probably approach them too fast! I also find it challenging going along a pavement where there are lots of driveways. The slope of the pavement can be quite steep.

Lynne K
25th July 2019, 08:15
Hi Dina. Good luck with wheelchair services meeting your needs. I learned when my WAV was brought for me to try that going down a rubbish dropped kerb, about an inch and a half, at the bottom of the slope between our front door and the road that very slowly does it. Coming back up it a bit of speed works. But I'm still tense about it.

The pavements near us are built on a hill. So slope one way because of that. Then the camber in the pavements to assist drainage slope left or right depending what side of the road you are. So it's best to stay up the highest part of the pavements. Tree roots have caused damage in all pavements, causing humps, cracks and loose surfaces. Also the road surface is loose, hence the wheels of my wheelchair skidded when trying to get up a 2 or 3 inch kerb. I only just managed it. I decided that where possible I'll avoid going off or on pavements where there isn't a dropped kerb on these hilly roads. The physics of it makes it risky. But I have to come up and down the dodgy dropped kerb by my house. There's a lovely flat one in front of our neighbours flat. I can use that when nobody's parked on it. But that's at least half the time. Lynne

Lynne K
25th July 2019, 15:14
That's great to read Debbie. My wheelchair is supposed to go up and down up to 4 inches. It's scary enough doing half of that. It has anti tip things attached at the back but nothing would likely hinder a sideways tip if one wheel instead of two goes either up or down. I got the feeling of going over sideways when I did my wheelchair test. But sometimes we learn better when we make unintentional errors. So I've taken that concern on board. Lynne

Gillette
25th July 2019, 18:39
Hi Lynne,

I really feel for you, living where you do. That hill is no joke.

We have to put a lot of faith in our wheelchairs when attacking dropped/not dropped enough kerbs.

Lynne K
25th July 2019, 20:19
Yea, your right about the hills Dina. The council oughtn't put disabled people on hills. We were desperate to move because our previous house was full of stairs that I was having difficulty with. So we took it. Lynne

Gillette
26th July 2019, 02:42
Yea, your right about the hills Dina. The council oughtn't put disabled people on hills. We were desperate to move because our previous house was full of stairs that I was having difficulty with. So we took it. Lynne

Are there any shops up there, Lynne? At first sight, that end of the town doesn't seem to be a good area for disabled people to live.

Deb
26th July 2019, 10:50
Thanks for the advice about the 4 inch rule on kerbs,

I went back to the manual as I was worried it was 4 centimetres and I had misheard but apparently it will do 4 inches although i am not sure i would want to do it. I know some drop downs are easier than others and they did say it would be hard to tip up. ( hard but not impossible.. I am sure someone could manage it !)

Good luck and stay safe everyone.
Love Debbie x

Lynne K
26th July 2019, 12:21
Hi Dina, the local shops that I passed when I was sitting as a passenger in my car had steps at the front. Not at all wheelchair friendly. I'm keeping my eyes open in case I've missed any. The nearest shop that I'm sure is wheelchair friendly is Asda and that's a mile away. My wheelchair is supposed to be able to do 8 miles on a full charge so from that point it's doable but no surprise there's not dropped kerbs all of the way. I put the suggestion to Steve for me to attempt it one day soon with him for company and a second pair of eyes.

I got my extra appointment for kerbs practice from wheelchair services. Wendy Donkersley is coming out again on the afternoon of 6th August. I feel a bit of trepidation about what I'll have to do. More non dropped kerbs forwards and backwards, scary but the best person to do this with.

Ellie
26th July 2019, 12:52
It does take practice to build up your confidence Lynne, you'll get there in the end.

I think it's a good idea that Steve goes with you on your recce to Asda, better safe than sorry.

Onward and upwards!

Love Ellie.

Lynne K
26th July 2019, 13:34
Thanks Ellie, you're spot on. Lynne

Gillette
26th July 2019, 15:40
I got my extra appointment for kerbs practice from wheelchair services. Wendy Donkersley is coming out again on the afternoon of 6th August. I feel a bit of trepidation about what I'll have to do. More non dropped kerbs forwards and backwards, scary but the best person to do this with.

Hi Lynne,

Steps to access shops is another example of why your area is not great for wheelchair users.

I think I shall give Wendy a ring after I've been in Wythenshawe, to ask if she'll do something similar for me. I have to ring the wheelchair team, anyway, as they need to do some adaptations to my Salsa Mini. Because of my loss of core strength I keep slumping to the right - and that's without a single drink passing my lips!

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 14:32
My CitroŽn Berlingo 1.6 Auto Black Diesel came this morning, yippie. My husband has taken it to get my car cameras put in it. I bought them when I was a Driving Instructor. I put them in the C-Max when I got that. I got them taken out of it last week, so they held them to install in my Berlingo this afternoon. They had cost me an arm and a leg so I'm going to get as much use as possible out of them.

I haven't tried to drive it yet. My negative husband has tried again to put me off. I'd be incapacitated earlier than necessary if I took any notice to him. I know that he cares but he's a glass half empty person and I'm a glass, half full, fighting every step of the way on this journey. If I have to wait on him taking me out I'd become stir crazy. He didn't even sound happy about me going out alone in my powered wheelchair.

I'm not just fighting this disease. I feel that I'm having to be strong resisting his potentially limiting negativity. Once he sees for himself that I'm ok in my powered wheelchair and driving he'll chill about it. So I've got the equivalent of a driving test and another wheelchair test with him coming up soon. I'll have to take it on the chin, go through the motions for a quiet, harmonious life.

Aren't relationships challenging sometimes?

Now that I've written this I've chilled and can see the funny side. Lynne

Ellie
30th July 2019, 14:53
Aren't relationships challenging sometimes?

Yes indeedy Lynne, they certainly are... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope you manage to get out for a drive real soon, then S can see you're well able and hopefully relax a bit.

You did right to reuse those cameras too - they're so useful and will add to your confidence.

Wishing you many happy independent trips out, even if it's just to Asda :)

Take care.

Love Ellie.

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 14:58
Thanks Ellie x

Barry52
30th July 2019, 15:07
[QUOTE=Lynne K;91337]

Aren't relationships challenging sometimes.

Amen to that statement Lynne. There is nothing wrong with us trying to maintain some independence but I guess our nearest and dearest are trying to keep us safe. I hope you enjoy your new car and as a former driving instructor I’m sure you will get used to it quickly. My best friend is a glass half empty chap and when I’ve been in his company for a while I get depressed.

Our granddaughter is 17 in November and I promised her some driving lessons. What I hadn’t realised was how expensive they are but since it is 50 years since I took them I’m clearly out of touch. Maybe birthday and Christmas combined.

Love,
Barry x

Deb
30th July 2019, 17:55
That's Great News Lynne... Go girl ! There will be no stopping you.

I think our loved ones are very protective of us. Sometimes it's hard to accept when we have been used to being independent and strong. On a good day my husband and I can laugh at this ( not on a bad day , however !)

Happy motoring,
Love Debbiex

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 17:58
Good luck for your daughters driving lessons Barry. LDC (Learner Driving Centres) are great. That's who I started learning to be a driving instructor with. I didn't stay with them after about a year but I kept in touch with them because they were all very nice. They have bargains for the first few lessons. It used to be 5 lessons for £60, or 10 for £99 with a free workbook, worth £14.95 (excellent learning aid and used in lessons).

I just fell badly in our wet-room. Rang hubby who was out while on the floor. I was still trying to get up 20 minutes later when he came in. It took another 20 minutes to work out how to get up, like we had done last time that I fell. I did most, but Steve pulled as I stood to make it as easy as he could. Team work. I have a big lump on the left side of my head near the back, where it crashed on to the floor. Also a very sore left elbow. That was the worst fall that I've ever had. My ballance has been getting much worse lately. I was using my 3 wheeled walker at that moment. I prefer my 4 wheeled walker but it's too big to get into our kitchen and between my powered wheelchair and a chair in our front room. Lynne

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 18:04
Thanks Debbie. Looking forward to going out. Lynne

Deb
30th July 2019, 18:14
Oh Lynne,

So sorry for your fall. It's such a shock and it happens so quickly. Hope you feel better soon and heal quickly.

Love Debbie x

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 18:19
Thanks Debbie x

Gillette
30th July 2019, 18:53
Hi Lynne,

I hope you're ok after your fall.

Congratulations on the new car. It's amazing what a bit of independence can do for you.

miranda
30th July 2019, 18:58
There's no easy answers to these trials and tribulations that go with life with MND. It all seems so difficult to go from being a strong, (bloody minded sometimes ) independent person to someone who is dependent on others. I loved it when I first got my powered wheelchair - oh the joy of whizzing off round the supermarket on my own!!

Sheila
30th July 2019, 19:01
Hi Lynne,
Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you will feel better soon. Take care
Sheila

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 19:42
Thanks Sheila. Lynne

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 19:44
That sounds great Miranda. My nearest supermarket is Asda. I checked google maps. It's just under a mile. Lynne

Barry52
30th July 2019, 19:56
Oh no Lynne. I thought you were safe with your walker. I find my 4 wheel walker too big for the house so I use a 4 wheel trolley provided by my OT. It is only 20 inches wide and is handy for carrying drinks but make sure you ask for one with brakes as they can slide on hard floors.

I hope you are not in too much pain.

Love,
Barry

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 20:02
Barry, they gave me a trolly with 2 shelves but it doesn't have brakes. I told my OT that it runs away too fast sometimes. She said the only alternative is a zimmer with a shelf to make it slower. I might buy a decent one with brakes. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks. Lynne

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 20:24
Hi again Barry. I've emailed my OT and sent her a link to an invacare 2 trayed trolley with brakes. I think it's 23 inches wide. It's £64.95 I think. Lynne

Lynne K
30th July 2019, 20:38
Thanks Dina. I've got a head ache, neck ache and sore elbow but expect it's going to be ok tomorrow or day after. Lynne

Kayleigh
30th July 2019, 21:57
Hi Lynne,

Great news about getting your Berlingo today but sorry to hear about your fall.

I hope your OT provides you with a trolley with brakes - it seems silly to me that they don't provide the style with brakes in the first place as they are so much safer to use. Anyway, after your fall today I hope your OT will be sympathetic and as helpful as possible.

I hope you feel better soon. Make sure you take things easy - perhaps chill out in your riser/recliner and watch some of your favourite shows on Netflix. :cool:
Love Kayleigh x

P.S When you feel better, hopefully your husband will kindly take you somewhere nice in your new Berlingo - you could both probably do with an enjoyable day out soon, especially after the nasty shock of your fall today!

Lynne K
31st July 2019, 03:10
Thanks Kayleigh. My husbands son and daughter in law are coming today with their dog(they live in South Yorkshire). She's going to go home with the dog after a couple of hours, but he's staying the night which is nice, especially for Steve

If you're wondering on the silly o'clock time of this message. I'm up a couple of times every night and decided to check in here whilst I wait for my pills to go down (paracetamol and tramadol). I can't lie down for about 15 minutes else it'd make me feel sick and have burning reflux.

You always write such lovely messages of encouragement. It's very much appreciated.
Still fighting, Lynne

Terry
31st July 2019, 15:43
Hi Lynne,

So sorry to hear about your fall and hurting yourself. I guess that you are in a bit more pain today but you should feel better soon.

Just when you wanted to be a little more independent and needed Steve to have more confidence in you, you go and do that, bxgger.

I use a three wheel walker indoors, it has one five pound weight near each of the rear wheels, a twenty pound weight underneath and a gallon of water in the bag. I also push it around with the brakes on all the time. It's quite stable as you can imagine.

Thanks for explaining why you post at 4:15 am.

Love Terry

Kayleigh
31st July 2019, 15:51
Hi Lynne,

I feel for you not having an unbroken night's sleep. It usually takes a while for me to get to sleep but I usually manage to sleep for quite a long time before I wake up again. Hopefully you are able to have a little nap in the afternoons, if you need one.

I hope you are enjoying your day with your visitors. I find its nice to have friends or family to call round, even if it's just for a quick cuppa.

I hope you are recovering ok after your fall. Fingers crossed that the OT agrees to your request for a trolley with brakes.

Take care
Love Kayleigh x

Ellie
31st July 2019, 19:01
Oh Lynne, that sounds like a nasty fall, especially on such a hard surface.

I hate the thought of you getting up in the middle of the night to take painkillers :(

Have you asked if you can have prolonged released Tramadol instead of the instant release type? I don't know if there are prolonged release paracetamol tabs, but there are definitely prolonged release Ibuprofen tabs in various doses. It would hopefully mean an improved sleep!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Love Ellie.

Barry52
31st July 2019, 21:29
Hi Lynne,

Sorry I missed your reply earlier but I show a link to the trolley they gave me. Although the link is via amazon the OT should provide it free.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Kitchen-Strolley-Trolley-Eligible/dp/B01GJV44OG/ref=pd_day0_c_121_4/262-4041484-2417967?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GJV44OG&pd_rd_r=8bc649ed-6b75-441e-9a9b-e2893068ea64&pd_rd_w=58BrR&pd_rd_wg=e1OoK&pf_rd_p=1b16ed2e-edbf-47da-98c0-64abfa54609a&pf_rd_r=M9KWP5ZJNH391WNH00EP&psc=1&refRID=M9KWP5ZJNH391WNH00EP
Barry x

Lynne K
31st July 2019, 21:32
Hi Ellie, it was a hard bang to my head and elsewhere. I didn't know about slow release but I'll as my doc when I've finished the lot that I've got. I'll soon be limited to a wheelchair permanently :( Lynne x

Lynne K
1st August 2019, 06:38
Thanks Barry. I'd sent a link to my OT the other day for the same or similar trolley. The Amazon one on the link that you gave is a bit cheaper. So I've sent her that link. She hasn't replied to my first request yet. Lynne

Ellie
3rd August 2019, 14:09
At the moment they are trying to find me a more comfortable cushion, as well as finding a way of supporting me so that I don't keep flopping to the right.

Hi Dina,

I have the exact same problem insofar as my trunk is weaker on the right, so I used to tilt to my right side in my wheelchair.

There are back cushions available with one sided lateral supports, or one can be added to an existing cushion - a separate wing-like cushion.

I was getting a back cushion made for me (for pressure relief and no off-the-shelf product was deemed suitable by my OT) and a lateral support was integrated into the cushion - a mould of my back was taken - it's absolutely brilliant and it holds me upright and in comfort, woohoo !!

I know you've other things on your mind atm, but I thought I'd post about it.

Love Ellie.

Gillette
3rd August 2019, 17:08
Hi Dina,
I have the exact same problem insofar as my trunk is weaker on the right, so I used to tilt to my right side in my wheelchair.
There are back cushions available with one sided lateral supports, or one can be added to an existing cushion - a separate wing-like cushion.
I was getting a back cushion made for me (for pressure relief and no off-the-shelf product was deemed suitable by my OT) and a lateral support was integrated into the cushion - a mould of my back was taken - it's absolutely brilliant and it holds me upright and in comfort, woohoo !!
I know you've other things on your mind atm, but I thought I'd post about it.
Love Ellie.

Hi Ellie,

It sounds brilliant. I may have to drop hints to my wheelchair team and/or OT.

Terry
3rd August 2019, 20:11
Hi Dina and Ellie;

Not wanting to be out done by 2 women, I to am weaker on my right hand side of my body, can be a little problem if I am on a slope that way and I don't adjust before hand. My wheelchair has got lateral supports that I can have put in but I like the freedom to move.

It would be so nice if those of us with bad back problems could have a moulded back rests made possibly with some venting system to cool back aswell.

Love Terry

Terry
4th August 2019, 12:54
Thanks Dina. I've got a head ache, neck ache and sore elbow but expect it's going to be ok tomorrow or day after. Lynne

Have you repaired and been out and about, Lynne,

Love Terry

Lynne K
4th August 2019, 16:32
Hi Terry. Thanks for asking. I still have a sore head and elbow. But it's all easing slowly and surely

My husband Steve took us for a drive for a couple of hours yesterday. At the start I'd tried to lift my 4 wheeled rollator into my new to me WAV but failed for 2 reasons. It's too heavy and awkward for me and the spaces available behind either of the front seats is too limited with my manual wheelchair tied down. It'd be perhaps even more limited with my powered wheelchair in the vehicle. I want to try to drive so have to sort this problem out fast.

My rollator cannot go through the gap into our kitchen between our fridge freezer and kitchen unit either, which is just 24.5". I measured this gap this morning because I had been rearching smaller and lighter weight rollators. I found one that I'm hoping is suitable. It's only 13lbs weight and 23.5"wide. It has big wheels but not so big as on the rollator that I have. But it's only going to be used indoors and between home and car, car and to visit etc. The advert states that it folds small for transportation. It's £56.95 or £57.95. I sent a link to my OT. She's been off this week but I expect that she'll get back to me Monday or Tuesday.

My physio wanted my rollator for somebody else. They're welcome to it if I can get a replacement. But if they can't get me another quickly, then I'll buy it myself.

How are you Terry? Lynne

Terry
5th August 2019, 00:26
Hi Lynne,

I hope it's a bruise on your head that's sore and not anything deeper. Do be careful lifting things and struggling to get them in the WAV. Remember that a narrower lighter one won't be quite as stable. Also its best to keep hold of equipment till you have a replacement.

I managed to get have rails made up along one side above the doors, on the back door and inside the rear door to hold onto so I could put my scooter in the back and get safely to the driver's seat. It had a electric ramp which made it possible.

Maybe with the manual chair you could leave the drivers side front strap off and move the foot rest to create more space. Have a grab rail fitted so you have a good grip. You also probably can move the wheelchair back further and maybe fix it at the front with a central rope /strap and use the two at the rear to tighten it.

I'm quite well, have slight back problems and due to have a tooth out, such fun.

Grandad had a holiday on one of our going out weeks and now he's got a bad water infection so he's missed another week. He plans to try to take me out Friday for a easy day but we'll see.

Hope you can get out soon, maybe see if you can get help at both ends of your trips but above all don't fall.

Love Terry

Lynne K
5th August 2019, 03:06
Hi Terry, good ideas, thanks. I think that motability would charge a lot to have anything else put in my WAV now. I have a grab handle strap so could try that if I can find somewhere to attach it. I could buy more. The ramp on my WAV is a manual one so out of the question for me to do it. The most space behind the front seats is the near side but it still wasn't enough. As you say removing the foot rests from the wheelchairs could give more space. This car is higher than was my Grande C-Max and I used to lean my back on the pillar behind me when lifting my 3 wheeled walker in. I never managed the 4 wheeled.

I'm quite concerned now that you explained about less stability with a narrower lighter rollator/walker. I now don't know what I should do.

Your poor dad. I hope that his infection clears up quickly and that you have a nice day out together.

The forecast for Tuesday is for rain storms and I have my extra wheelchair kerbs practice in the afternoon. I don't fancy it if it's pouring down. Wish me luck. Lynne

Gillette
5th August 2019, 07:21
Hi Lynne,

I hope you manage to find a way round the difficulties you have encountered with your new WAV. It's disappointing when things are not as simple as we imagine they should be.

Good luck with your kerb practice tomorrow.

Lynne K
5th August 2019, 07:29
Thanks Dina. Lynne

Lynne K
5th August 2019, 12:46
Hi all. My OT Jennie passed on my request for a different 4 wheeled walker to my physio Natalie. Well actually Jennie had forwarded my emails to Natalie. I got an email from Natalie to say that she's ordered the walker from services and wants me to contact her when it arrives so that she can come out to reassess me using that. Jennie said orders can take 6 weeks to arrive. Lynne

Kayleigh
5th August 2019, 14:18
Hi Lynne,

Its good to hear you are getting a new walker and hopefully you won't have to wait as long as 6 weeks for it to be delivered.

6 weeks sounds like a very long time to wait for a walker. I wonder where the heck they are ordering it from? - perhaps it's coming on a slow boat from China? LOL:D

I hope you get your new walker soon and you are able to manage ok while you wait for it.

Love Kayleigh x

P.S Good luck with your wheelchair kerb practice tomorrow.

Terry
5th August 2019, 14:26
Hi Lynne,

I hope you're curb hoping goes well, maybe you can pop down and teach me.

Maybe you can add some weight like a gallon of water or two, two litre ones.

Six weeks is no good.

My grandad feels a very little bit better, fingers crossed.

Love Terry

Lynne K
5th August 2019, 15:23
Hi Kayleigh. I sent links to an online care shop, and to the same or very similar one on Amazon that was a few pounds cheaper. I doubt that it's where they get them from that causes delays. It's the admin department backlogs. Anything to do with the our Local Authority takes longer than you'd expect. The Services Department are no exception. But sometimes they surprise me. I've been waiting for a seat riser for our loo for about 4 weeks so far. Local Authority wheels turn slowly. Lynne

Gillette
5th August 2019, 18:07
Hi Lynne,

I think you should chase up the seat riser for the toilet. Mine were delivered very quickly.

Kayleigh
6th August 2019, 15:55
Hi Lynne,

If the outdoor wheelchair practice went ahead today, I hope it went well for you.

Love Kayleigh x

Lynne K
6th August 2019, 16:11
Hi Kayleigh and Terry. The kerb practise was great thanks. I did some up and down 3 or 4 inch kerbs, with helpful coaching especially when going backwards down. I then went up and backwards down similar kerbs independently. It did my confidence loads of good. The wheelchair services ladies were very happy with my control, spacial awareness and traffic awareness. It's only the first of those 3 things that I was working on. The others are already well established. I'm going to venture to our nearest wheelchair friendly shop which is Asda soon. I'll get my husband to walk alongside the first time. But if all goes well that's going to be a regular venture out for me. It's just under a mile away.

Barry52
6th August 2019, 16:24
Hi Lynne,

Great news with your wheelchair. Of course as a driving instructor you will have no issue with spacial or traffic awareness. Make sure you get your husband to reach the difficult items.

Barry x.

Lynne K
6th August 2019, 16:27
Thanks Barry :)

Kayleigh
6th August 2019, 18:18
That's great Lynne - well done! Its wonderful that you can tackle all those kerbs confidently.

I only use low dropdowns rather than attempting kerbs - but I am impressed that you have the ability to go backwards down kerbs.

I hope you enjoy getting out and about in your powerchair and you enjoy your retail therapy in Asda.

Love
Kayleigh x

Lynne K
6th August 2019, 18:52
Kayleigh, you have to go backwards down a 2, 3 or 4 inch kerb. The big back wheels do the job safely so long as you are perfectly square on to the kerb and go as slow as you can, just about moving. Forwards only for dropped kerbs and lots of those are about 1inch. I was warned, and pass on to all to never attempt a dropped kerb that is not made correctly or is faulty ie one side higher than the other else we could tip over. It'd be better to find the next, go back to the previous or come off a nearby straight kerb backwards (never a curved one up or down) so long as it's 4 inches or less. Good luck everyone. Lynne

Kayleigh
6th August 2019, 19:02
Thanks Lynne. Your advice is very useful. Love Kayleigh x

Deb
6th August 2019, 19:33
Thank you so much for your useful tips, Lynne.

I never had any lessons when I got my powerchair so I have been ultra cautious around kerbs and drop downs.

Happy shopping .. it's so good to do things independently, where possible. I do find supermarket shopping in my powerchair funny, however. I send hubby off and then well meaning and helpful people reach things down for me that I don't really want so we end up putting everything back discreetly!

Thanks Lynne and good luck everyone,
Love Debbie x

Lynne K
6th August 2019, 19:38
Thanks Debbie x

Terry
7th August 2019, 00:13
A word of extreme caution, everyone,

Don't concider going down drops of more than two inches unless you have been showed how to by wheelchair services in that specific wheelchair. Mine would ground out going backwards even on a two inch drop. Also as Lynne says, the importantance of being absolutely square to the curb can't be over enthersised.

Love Terry

Lynne K
7th August 2019, 08:07
Hi Terry, I agree to not go down forwards some dropped kerbs but I'm not sure that I'd even manage a 2 inch kerb forwards. It may be wheelchairs design dependant how they manage to go up forwards or down backwards various height kerbs. I have big fixed position back wheels and much smaller revolving front wheels. But doesn't everybody's wheelchair have this set up? When I first tried forwards down one inch dropped kerbs it was hard until I cottoned on that going a bit faster sorted it. Similarly it took practice going up forwards 4 inch kerbs. I did ground a couple of times. One time was a lack of enough speed issue and the other time I wasn't square on to the kerb. I was lucky not to tip over sideways. I practiced with the wheelchair services lady and got it eventually. When going up a 4 inch kerb getting a brisk walking pace in your chair after you line up square to the kerb a couple of feet away from it. Keep the speed constant as you bump up the kerb. Once all wheels are on the kerb take off the speed so you don't bang into the wall or fence in front of you, and drive on your way at the appropriate speed. Terry, is the difficulties you describe the result of a lack of guided practice, or our different wheelchair designs? Please don't be offended. I hope that our discussion helps other wheelchair users :) . Lynne

Terry
7th August 2019, 11:20
Hi Lynne;

Don't worry about offending me, I will always PM you if I think something is wrong before I bite your head off. LOL

The wheelchair that I normally use has the big wheels at the front but they are not huge. I have another chair with bigger rear wheels and smaller front ones but that has anti tip, wheelie wheels out the back stopping you going up anything higher than a inch.

Most wheelchairs supplied today seem to have their big wheels in the middle with smaller wheels at the front and back.

So there are many different types of chairs, which is why I said that anyone should speak to the wheelchair services about instruction before trying anything like that.

Also you like me have a good prospective on how things are and angles etc. Not all people are built that way, some can even spell.

My original wheelchair services chair did have the big wheels at the back and they said that they could fit a curb climber on the front of it if I needed it. I think that it's a rocker thing that lifts the front wheels and goes between the foot rests but this only fits certain wheelchairs.

Like your idea about speed, riding a motor bike, if your accelerate it gets more stable, only trouble with that is you can't keep accelerating.

Love Terry

Ellie
7th August 2019, 12:16
As Terry said, there are different types of wheelchairs - mid wheel drive, rear wheel drive and front wheel drive wheelchairs, all with their own pros and cons.

The most popular neuro chair seems to be the Salsa Mini, which has mid wheel drive, so is great for indoors as it can turn in very small spaces but may not be the best for kerb assaults nor soft grass.

The other popular neuro chair is an Invacare, which is rear wheel drive and has a larger turning circle than a mid wheel drive, so may require furniture moving in the house if a room is small, or a 5-point turn in a tight hallway :) They can be better at obstacles but, Lynne you're spot on, steps etc need a bit of speed to get over. Rear wheel drives tend to have a higher max speed than mid wheels, but they're rear heavy and it can be unnerving going up a steep slope!! My chair is rear wheel drive.

Best of all for climbing kerbs/steps is a front wheel drive but these seem to be rarely provided and are expensive - I'd love to hear if anyone has one??

Keep practising Lynne, you've a great attitude and knowledge of how to drive from your career.

Love Ellie.

Lynne K
7th August 2019, 12:37
Thanks for the info Ellie. My wheelchair is an Invacare Spectra XR2, rear wheels drive. It is heavy. We sold our couch for buttons to allow me to get into and out of our front room. My hubby bought himself a new modern recliner twisting chair and footstool. I have a riser/recliner (wow, that cost me an arm and a leg) and we had another small armchair. So there's now 3 armchairs and my wheelchair in our front room. Luckily
I can still get around indoors with my walker but when I'm wheelchair bound I won't be able to move much in this small flat. I couldn't get into our kitchen with my wheelchair. We'll have to re-think our flat layout and our big fridge-freezer that blocks my route into our kitchen.

I forgot to say earlier that I have anti-tip bars on the back of my wheelchair. These have very small, castor sized wheels on them.
Lynne

Lynne K
7th August 2019, 12:53
Hi Terry. As I said to Ellie just now. I have anti-tip bars with little wheels on my wheelchair. They did not stop me getting up 4 inch kerbs. I guess that it depends on how low wheelchair services set them. I also have kerb climbers on the front which most likely helped me get up forwards a 4 inch kerb with a constant brisk walking pace speed. Lynne

Ellie
7th August 2019, 13:01
We've the same chair Lynne.

It's a workhorse of a wheelchair and even gets me into our paddock and manages quite rough terrain, though it doesn't like deep gravel :eek: I was telling Terry I got stuck in some recently but now know where to avoid ;)

Our house is open plan, thankfully, so no issues there.

Love Ellie.

Lynne K
7th August 2019, 13:08
That's great Ellie. I asked for a wheelchair that would go on tracks in the countryside so that we could still get out despite me no longer being able to walk up hills and on mountain ridges. Oh the joys, lovely memories. Different memories being created now x

Kayleigh
7th August 2019, 16:44
Hi Lynne,

Hopefully you and your husband can have a great day out in the countryside very soon.

This Summer seems to be going quickly, but I always enjoy the cooler weather and beautiful colours of Autumn too.

Love Kayleigh x

Lynne K
7th August 2019, 17:06
Kayleigh, I love all seasons. Summer sun lifts spirits but as you say autumn colours are often gorgeous. We are going away for a week in October to an purpose built adapted cabin in an out of the way forest in the Lake District. It has 2 built in cookers and hobs
One is a regular height and the other wheelchair height. It has a riser/recliner, wet-room and an open plan that's large so wheelchair friendly. That'll be fun. Lynne

MND Connect helpline