PDA

View Full Version : Dog toys

peepyh
21st November 2011, 16:44
One thing that I really miss and that makes me really sad is no longer being able to play with my dog.

My arms are too weak to throw balls, I cannot walk/run, and now my grip is too weak to hold on to play tug of war.

Does anyone know of a company that designs/sells dog toys for the disabled?

Robyn Copley-Hirst
22nd November 2011, 10:16
Hi peepyh,

I can't offer you any personal experience of this in the way some of our forum members may have, but I came across this blog.

It's one persons personal blog about how they've adapt to dog ownership with disability. It talks about many things, including toys you can use without strong grip, or without full motion - toys and ball launchers etc.

It also mentions practical ideas such as raised feeding bowls if bending or walking is an issue. You may find it a useful starting point at least.

http://katilea.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/incas-blog-dog-stuff-to-help-disabled-owners/

Hope this helps to begin with and that there are maybe some forum members out there with their own tips,

Robyn

peepyh
2nd December 2011, 14:13
thanks robyn

i have challenged my dad to design a tennis ball pea-shooter that fits onto my scooter, in time for christmas! i'll let you know if it works

Robyn Copley-Hirst
5th December 2011, 09:31
thanks robyn

i have challenged my dad to design a tennis ball pea-shooter that fits onto my scooter, in time for christmas! i'll let you know if it works

Good luck, it sounds like a great solution if he can meet your challenge. Keep us all posted :)

Robyn

bakeit Forum