PDA

View Full Version : Riser recliner chair

jadedjohn
29th November 2011, 18:31
Has anyone used the "recliner factory" they supply riser recliner chairs direct from the factory, I was given a pride chair via my OT but it's just too small for me. When reclined my legs they hang over by 12" so I'm going to buy my own.

What worries me is they offer an in home demo and won't give any idea of prices, I don want to waste anyone's time.

John

luce
30th November 2011, 00:25
Hi
If i were arranging a home visit i would like to know the prices etc before so that i could be prepared if there was a hard sell.

If the one from the OT is not the right size then why not ask to be measured up again and get a different one? My mum was given a broken one and one that was too big, we mentioned it to them and asked for one the right size and in working order, and presto

best wishes
luce

Batty
30th November 2011, 10:45
Hi John, I think the MNDA do supply the riser recliner chairs, I've never had one but was offered one.
Regards Mark

katrob53
30th November 2011, 16:00
Hi John

I wouldn't buy a recliner chair, they're very expensive. My husband's got one on loan from the MNDA. If I remember correctly he was referred for it by our OT. The 1st one was too big although he was measured for it (he's 6 feet tall but it's deceiving) but they had no problem in replacing with a smaller one. Great service.

miranda
30th November 2011, 16:28
I also have one on loan from MNDA.

Robert
30th November 2011, 20:03
Hi John,you can, as has already been said maybe get one on loan from the MNDA I have one and I'm 6ft -2ins. but have found it to big as I have to put my wheelchair cushion behind my back to take up the gap as i find the seat is too long.This chair I believe came from Wales Chairs it was about 1300.The chair that is going to replace this is from Radcliffe Rehab I was measured for this it's about 1800 odd ex vat. I have a very good OT.who pleaded my case as I'm in a chair now for most of the time apart from the occasional outing.Anyway it's nice to see Luce back again,but I've not seen Chris on here lately or GDubber and the american lass, is everyone on holiday.Hope this is of use to you John. Regards Bob

Batty
2nd December 2011, 10:49
Had similar thoughts Robert, seems to be alot of regular members missing?
Regards Mark

Robyn Copley-Hirst
2nd December 2011, 10:56
Had similar thoughts Robert, seems to be alot of regular members missing?
Regards Mark

If you're ever wondering or worried how someone is and they've not recently been on the forum, you can always click on their name... and if they have selected to allow it... you can send them an email which goes through to their email privately via the forum. Hope that helps.

Best Wishes,

Robyn

john
2nd December 2011, 12:11
You can also see on the profile when they were last active which tells you if they are still taking an interest but just finding nothing to post about.
John

john
2nd December 2011, 12:16
Sorry john we seem to have hi jacked your post. Irene has a riser recliner via the MNDA via the local OT who came to measure her(she is just over 5ft) and the chair came via Leeds Red Cross. She has also connected to her environmental controls and can rise or recline using her cheek. All clever stuff. I would try this routre first that way you will probably ensure the continuing support as your illness progresses.
John

G60dubber
2nd December 2011, 12:22
You can also see on the profile when they were last active which tells you if they are still taking an interest but just finding nothing to post about.
John

I'm ok, thanks for checking guys :-). Found things a bit tough recently n haven't much to add to posts at moment. Will be back with y'all soon I'm sure ;-).

Adie

jadedjohn
2nd December 2011, 15:28
Nice to here from you adie, we were wondering where you were

John

jadedjohn
2nd December 2011, 15:30
And thanks guys for all your advice

John

john
2nd December 2011, 15:34
I'm ok, thanks for checking guys :-). Found things a bit tough recently n haven't much to add to posts at moment. Will be back with y'all soon I'm sure ;-).

Adie
Sorry to hear that. Anything you care to share. Can't imagine there isn't somebody here with experience that can help or point you in the direction of assistance. That's what these communities are for.
John

computatec
2nd December 2011, 20:53
I bought my own and it is the worst thing I ever did. After less than a year the seat cushion has sagged and the backrest is crippling me. The makers don't have a clue about rectifying it and the whole thing is a disaster. My chair has two motors and tilt in space mechanism, but the uphostery is not fit for purpose. I think the makers of these chairs have no orthopoedic knowledge at all and no idea of what it is like to spend the whole day in a chair. The prices are outrageous and not easy to obtain before they come out to see you with a very hard sell.

Clive

Graham
4th September 2012, 16:14
I am requiring a riser recliner. Reading the thread, MNDA riser recliners look best option? Any advice is welcome.

miranda
4th September 2012, 18:52
Hi Graham. Not sure if you need a referral from a professional such as OT. But contact your local MNDA branch and you should be able to get one via their equipment loan scheme.

teynhambees
4th September 2012, 19:25
I have a "repose" riser recliner with two motors sourced from my Adult Social Services OT who I must add is very good.

The company came out and measured me sounds funny but I sat on my perching stool as this was the height I am most comfortable at and he went from there. He also arranged for a stair lift company Dolphin lifts no pressure from them they came, measured, quoted and as promised no pressure since the email quote. However, its something i will have to pay out for as there is no funding for it.

Its on loan from the local authority and I'm 6'3" so not a small bloke and fits me well no overhang of my long legs! :)

http://www.reposefurniture.co.uk/ no prices but quite a good site

Terry
4th September 2012, 20:35
Hi Teynhambees;
That is great that you got a chair from the O T and it fits your long body. I had to burden Mnda funds and it does not support my feet. Being tall is a big disadvantage when you are disabled as very few of the things fit as standard and it is further to fall. Is there no chance of moving downstairs as it makes things so much easier as time go’s on.
Well done, Terry

slim
4th September 2012, 22:09
Hi John
another point to consider is weather its single motor or dual motor as the advantage to the dual motor is a mechanism that operates using 2 motors. One motor operates the footrest of the chair and the other motor operates the back. This means that the footrest and back are operated independently enabling foot up and back up positioning if required or vice versa.

Gwen
4th September 2012, 23:49
Hi, When John's condition became worse, I made the mistake of buying a riser/recliner chair privately which unfortunately wasn't any good for him, the main problem being that it was too short to support his legs properly. It was uncomfortable and he refused to use it. Our OT advised us that their service no longer provided such chairs as people were expected to buy their own. (Charming!) However, since John has MND and in the circumstances, she undertook to find out if a special riser/recliner chair could be provided for John. As the weeks stretched into months and nothing materialised the MND Association kindly offered to buy John a chair which he had tried and liked at our local mobility shop. The OT was asked to provide a report to the MND Association to endorse John's need for a chair but this did not happen as I understand she was still trying to obtain the special riser/recliner chair for John. Without a report from the OT the MNDA could not provide the chair for John. It was a very difficult time as John could not sit comfortably in the small armchair he had and it was upsetting for me to see him suffering every day. We waited nearly 4 months for John to get this special riser/recliner chair from the OT who explained that she had to complete a form and discuss his needs with managers in order to get agreement for the special riser/recliner. The make of this chair is "Configura" and it seems very good. It came apart in several sections and was actually built around John. He is actually using this prototype as we are awaiting delivery of the chair that has been tailor-made for him which will be slightly narrower than the prototype. As I have explained, I did get stressed and upset about the amount of time it was taking to get John a comfortable chair and I came very close to taking out a loan which we couldn't have afforded. I feel that some professionals (not anybody who works for the MND Association) may not understand the physical and emotional pain and suffering that those living with MND have to endure and that I am now perceived as being rather unreasonable. However, all that matters to me is that John is now seated as comfortably as possible. I appreciate everyone's efforts and understand that local services are under stress and have had to endure budget cuts in many cases.

Gwen
5th September 2012, 00:02
removed duplicate post.

Gwen
5th September 2012, 00:04
Sorry for the duplicate post!

ian
28th September 2012, 08:59
Hi Gwen,
I was in the same position as John ( chair too short to fully support my legs) My OT measured me and organised a loan from MNDA.
New chair is long enough and oh so comfortable.

Gwen
28th September 2012, 22:17
Glad you are sorted Ian. A comfortable chair is so important.

Chrisp
24th July 2018, 09:00
Hello
I got my first riser recliner from the OT then we moved into a slightly bigger cottage. I wanted an additional riser recliner for another room, I found one on a Facebook group selling things local. I got a very good riser recliner delivered for 90
Chris

Terry
24th July 2018, 11:52
hi Ketann;

Do you have Mnd or care for someone with it?

Terry

Deb
24th July 2018, 14:47
Hi Everyone,
My riser recliner is being delivered this week . It was organised by the OT who brought me one to try and then measured me to have one made.. I am looking forward to not struggling to get up, especially in the evening when I am tired.
My biggest problem now is keeping everyone off it or playing with it ... It's mine !
Love Debbie x

Ellie
24th July 2018, 15:27
Great news Debbie - they are really good to have and make life easier & safer for us. Enjoy!.

As you said, you'll have to fight for it , it becomes the most coveted chair in the house :) If my kids aren't lounging in mine, the dog is :rolleyes:

Love Ellie.

Terry
24th July 2018, 16:10
Hi Debbie;

My ot had one made for me, it has a built-in honey comb jell cushion and is seat is covered with a breathable rubber type stuff. I thought that I made a mistake getting that seat covering but it has stopped me sliding out of the chair many times.

Love Terry

Deb
25th July 2018, 11:41
Thanks Ellie and Terry for your sound advice.

I will fight for the right to sit in my chair. My husband and sons love gadgets (toys for the boys ) so I will let them have a little play with it first.

I never thought about slipping out of it but I can see how you could easily. I did ask for it to be covered .. I think it sounds similar to yours Terry.

They are starting on the wet room next week and I can't wait for that too. I got lots of ideas from reading threads on here.

Love Debbie x

Terry
25th July 2018, 12:59
Hi Deb;

I never thought about that either but if I get a shock or I get tense, my legs can shoot out leaving my bum clenching on.

I also have trouble bending my knees when I'm under any sort of stress and I can try to sit without thinking.

I have mainly PLS so others might not ever get these problems but still they can slide out.

Love Terry

bakeit Forum