• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sheila
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2019

Rollator.

Hi all! I am thinking of getting a rollator as they look very handy. I already own a small mobility scooter. I was wondering if I would get a rollator supplied or would I have to buy one? Advice would be welcomed.

Many thanks!

Sheila
  • Terry
    Forum Member
    • May 2012

Hi Sheila;

Speak to your OT, they should be provided free of charge quickly as they are a standard item.

You probably can buy better ones but I would get a standard one first.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2012

Hi Sheila,

Yes, your OT should supply a rollator - whether it's the best type for you is another issue! You should be assessed to see how your balance is, gait, arm strength and your hand grip is good enough to safely use one.

Often 3-wheeled rollators are supplied, but many people find 4-wheeled ones better / steadier.

First step is to contact your OT.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Sheila
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2019

Ah right! Ok! Thank you both for your help. It's much appreciated!

Love

Sheila

Comment

• Kayleigh
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2018

Hi Sheila,

Such a good idea that you are going to get a rollator - as well as providing much more stability than a walking stick, many of them have handy features such as a bag, tray, seat.

I was provided with a basic one with 3 wheels, but I think that others on the forum have been provided with a 4 wheeled version - and so it might be worth browsing the different options, just in case your OT gives you a choice.

Some rollators have a bar-style break, which can easily be used with one hand e.g the 'Tuni Nova', and others have a break on each handle.

Examples (including the Tuni Nova) are on the careco website:-

http://https://www.careco.co.uk/cat-wa01/rollators.htm

http://https://www.careco.co.uk/cat-wa02/tri-walkers.htm

Love Kayleigh x

Comment

• Sheila
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2019

Hi Kayleigh!

Thank you for all the information regarding rollators! I will definitely look into getting one. I have seen a lot of people with them. Handy for shopping etc.

Hope you are keeping well! Thanks again.

Love Sheila x

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
              Forum Member
              • May 2017

Hi Sheila

If your legs work to some extent, for example can you push a supermarket trolley, then a rollator is a very good idea. I was given an NHS basic one that I still use occasionally indoors, and then a Topro Troja - four wheels, collapses nicely to go in the car - that I use outside.

A great benefit of a rollator is that they offer a means of sitting and resting whenever you wish.

Good luck!

Doug
              Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Sheila
                Forum Member
                • Feb 2019

Hi Doug
                My legs are not too bad at the moment, so I think I benefit with a rollator. I like the way you can walk and also have a sit down when you like.
                Thanks for your reply, and help. I hope you are keeping well.
                Best wishes
                Sheila.

Comment

• Barry52
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2012

Hi Sheila,

Like Doug I have a Topro Troja and can thoroughly recommend it. My mother recently bought a similar copy which is only 7kg so easy to lift into the car. I can’t remember the make but I can ask her if you are interested. It cost £100 whereas the Topro is nearer £200.

Barry
                  I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Sheila
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2019

Hi Barry! Thanks for your reply. I am having a good old think about it (plus plenty of research) I know there are many different makes out there. Some heavy and some light.

Thank you for your reply and recommendations!

Sheila

Comment

Hi Sheila,

I am looking at purchasing the Rollz Motion 2 which converts from a walker to a wheel chair unfortunately will need to purchase as not offered by OT due to cost at over £500.00 but I know I will allow me to keep mobile but also safe due to the seat and if needed the conversion to a wheel chair

Comment

• Deb
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2018

Hi Sheila,

I think it was the physio who provided me with one. I have a three wheeled one... I can only walk a few steps at home with it but I still have good upper body strength so I use it to transfer and turn.

I just need to make sure the breaks are on and it has weight in it ( wine bottles filled with water .. Terry's genius idea )

Good Luck with your research.. Theres such alot of choice.

Love Debbie x

Comment

Hi dkjc, I was wondering where you are from as I have a purple rollz motion walker/wheelchair which I used for a very brief time. I was going to advertise on ebay but I am happy to sell at half retail price if you were interested. They are a very clever idea, unfortunately I bought it when I was almost ready for wheelchair permenantly. Hence the little use.

Comment

• Terry
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                            Hi Sheila,

I think it was the physio who provided me with one. I have a three wheeled one... I can only walk a few steps at home with it but I still have good upper body strength so I use it to transfer and turn.

I just need to make sure the breaks are on and it has weight in it ( wine bottles filled with water .. Terry's genius idea )

Good Luck with your research.. Theres such alot of choice.

Love Debbie x
                            Hi Debbie;

I said a plastic gallon, (5 Ltrs) of water, but I guess there's plenty of spare wine bottles around your house.

Posting or transporting wheelchair etc is not that expensive if you look around.

Love Terry
                            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Sheila
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2019

Hi guys
                              Thanks for all the replays and advice. So much choice.
                              Love Sheila x

Comment

Working...
                              X