• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nunhead_man
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2017

Possible diagnosis

I say "possible diagnosis" but the Kings neuro lot are sure enough to get my GP to put me on Riluzole.

I've been through the what I believe is the usual diagnosis hell as it only is my dominant hand and arm involved just now. It took over six months to dispense with carpel tunnel issues from that starting point with my GP and from when I lost the "pinch" movement in my thumb and forefinger.

I've been hunting for a diagnosis for about 2 years to date now.

Apparently I have some cognition loss but no one around me seems to think I've lost my marbles :-)

Seems this "syndrome" has lots of body starting points and a wide range of genetic starting points - some Mendelian heritable (not me here) , some weirdly partly expressed - bit like cat coat colour really

Anyone else started with this type of diability / malfunction?

And anyone on Riluzole and wants to share?

Best to all

Andy
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"
  • Bern
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

Hi Andy,
    Welcome to the Forum where you will get lots of good advice. My weakness started very similarly to yours but it wasn't my dominant side which was lucky for me. My left leg is weak now and I can't walk far. Hopefully you will have lots of support put quickly into place.

Like lots of people I'm on Riluzole. I'm just starting my 3rd month of it and I've had blood tests every month because it can cause liver damage. To date, everything seems to be fine with it and it hasn't given me any side effects.

Mine is sporadic MND/ALS.

Not sure this is any help because as you've realised, everyone seems to follow a different path!

Take care,
    Bern

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum;

How have things progressed and what other symptoms do you have?

I don't think that the pinch action is the first to go with most people with Mnd, generally it's failing to be open fingers and movement restrictions in fingers and hands.

What tests have you had?

I don't think that by what you wrote that it's time to start taking Riluzole!

Best wishes, Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi,
        I had a similar start to MND, the doctor first diagnosed tendonitus in my dominant hand, then carpel tunnel syndrome. The hospital operated on my thumb, thinking it was a pulley problem (I climbed at the time and had several hand injuries). Fortunately the orthopedic consultant was not convinced and sent me for nerve conduction tests.
        Chris

Comment

• nunhead_man
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Bern View Post
          My weakness started very similarly to yours but it wasn't my dominant side which was lucky for me. My left leg is weak now and I can't walk far. Hopefully you will have lots of support put quickly into place.
          Thanks - sorry to hear about leg weaknesses - not gotten that far yet

Originally posted by Bern View Post
          Like lots of people I'm on Riluzole. I'm just starting my 3rd month of it and I've had blood tests every month because it can cause liver damage. To date, everything seems to be fine with it and it hasn't given me any side effects.
          Again thanks - seeing my GP next week to get started, blood test and all
          Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• nunhead_man
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Terry View Post
            welcome to the forum
            Thanks

How have things progressed and what other symptoms do you have?
            * thumb and forefinger pinch does not work properly
            * muscles that control all fingers to extend not working
            * muscles that pull in finger grip as strong as ever
            * some muscles in forearm and upper arm wasted

So I cannot e.g. do up shirt buttons with my affected hand and I drop things - but I can grip my bicycle handlebars - the one with flat bars - and ride perhaps 100 miles per week - and use the brakes having adjusted the brake lever position

What tests have you had?
            * head and neck MRI
            * scan for carpel tunnel
            * spinal tap to check infection / inflamation with blood tests
            * electrical nerve conduction tests

I don't think that by what you wrote that it's time to start taking Riluzole!
            Perhaps I was understating what is going on?

Best

Andy
            Warmly

Andy

Comment

• nunhead_man
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Chrisp View Post
              I had a similar start to MND, the doctor first diagnosed tendonitus in my dominant hand, then carpel tunnel syndrome. The hospital operated on my thumb, thinking it was a pulley problem (I climbed at the time and had several hand injuries). Fortunately the orthopedic consultant was not convinced and sent me for nerve conduction tests.Chris
              Ah - thanks - similar path to me except I'm a cyclist and major computer user

Best

Andy
              Warmly

Andy

Comment

• Terry
                Forum Member
                • May 2012

Hi Andy;

* muscles that control all fingers to extend not working
                * muscles that pull in finger grip as strong as ever
                * some muscles in forearm and upper arm wasted

Those symptoms are not so good as I have them.

It sound like you might have had some or most of the tests, it depends on what they where looking for in them but they might be able to look back at them. I just hope it's something else and you get an quick answer.

Love Terry
                TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• nunhead_man
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2017

It sound like you might have had some or most of the tests
                  Thanks again - forgot to say I've had a bod doing reflexes with the traditonal rubber hammer - seems to show the damage to the relevant motor nerves go all the way to motor region of the cerebral cortex - apparently this is an MDN indicator and nerves are not trapped somewhere e.g. in my wrist or neck,

Hence the original comments about loosing marbles - apparently cerebral cortex damage to motor neurons sometimes associated with other damage there

Best

Andy
                  Last edited by nunhead_man; 1 August 2017, 10:53. Reason: spelling!
                  Warmly

Andy

Comment

• philipb
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2015

Hi Andy. I started in a similar way to you. My "pinch grip" became weak and I visited the GP. She was unable to identify the cause. After some time my arms started to become weak and I lost body mass around my shoulders. Revisited the GP, a different one this time, and he looked at the webbing that connects the area between the thumb and index finger which had atrophied. Combined with the arm weakness he refered me to a neurologist. Tests confirmed ALS. By this time the muscles in my neck had pretty much packed up. That was a little over two years ago. I have been on Riluzole since then with no adverse effects. I wear a neck support collar, the Sheffield Support Collar often refered to as the Sheffield Snood and would struggle without it. My walking is becoming more awkward, with frequent stops required to take a rest.
                    As others have said, there are many different ways we start the journey with the disease. I wish you all the best.

Comment

• Ellie
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2012

Hi Andy,

Welcome to our motley crew.

A few questions if I may...

Was it the Neuro in King's who said you've "Possible ALS/MND"? I ask because there is a diagnosis of Possible ALS/MND, which is damage in one area - Probable ALS/MND is damage in two areas and Definite ALS/MND is damage in three areas.

Did you have an EMG? I know you had NCS.

Did you see a Neuropsychologist and do the assessment and, it was on that basis you were determined as having cognitive involvement? Or who, why and how? Cognitive involvement can be very subtle initially/always and not always obvious, hence the assessments.

I've been on Riluzole for 10+ years and, thankfully, liver enzymes always ok.

Love Ellie.
                      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• nunhead_man
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by philipb View Post
                        Hi Andy. I started in a similar way to you. My "pinch grip" became weak and I visited the GP. ........................... I wish you all the best.
                        Thank you for sharing - and best wishes to you
                        Warmly

Andy

Comment

• nunhead_man
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                          Welcome to our motley crew..
                          thank you

Was it the Neuro in King's who said you've "Possible ALS/MND"? I ask because there is a diagnosis of Possible ALS/MND, which is damage in one area - Probable ALS/MND is damage in two areas and Definite ALS/MND is damage in three areas.
                          OIC - 'twas "possible" as it is damage in one area

Did you have an EMG? I know you had NCS.
                          err - acronyms rule KO?

Did you see a Neuropsychologist and do the assessment and, it was on that basis you were determined as having cognitive involvement?
                          Yes - it was at my consultant's suggestion in that a cerebral deficit helps the diagnosis and I've been trying every window for an understanding

I've been on Riluzole for 10+ years and, thankfully, liver enzymes always ok.
                          Good news and hope mine is as good

Best

Andy
                          Warmly

Andy

Comment

Hi,
                            As well as climbing I was a kayaker, skier and cyclist. I still cycle as it helps my dominant leg which is now deteriorating (foot drop etc).

Comment

• Ellie
                              Forum Member
                              • Oct 2012

Hi Andy,

An EMG is generally known as just that, an EMG (as are ECGs e.g.) It stands for Electromyography, but Neurologists call it an EMG. An EMG assesses muscle health and motor neurons. You'd know if you'd had an EMG as it involves sticking needles into your muscles!

NCS stands for Nerve Conduction Studies, you said you had this test done. Quite often both tests are carried out in the same appointment.

Ellie x.
                              ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
                              X