Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sluggish bowel

Forum Member

Sluggish bowel

I have been having trouble going to the toilet. Feed is going in but it's taking days for anything to come out again. I'm on an array of laxatives and old wives tales. I was told that bowels are not affected by MND but I guess immobility carries its own little pleasures. Is this a common problem and what solutions work to keep everything moving?

Robyn Copley-Hirst
    Hi Peggy,

You're absolutely right about linking this to immobility. It can also occur with a change in diet or feed and is something people report experiencing fairly regularly.

It can also be linked with a lack of other fluids going through aside from your feeds, and it may be affected by the times you take food. If you haven't already it's definitely worth seeing your GP. Depending on your situation they may give you something such as a softening agent.

We can't say without a little more information from you, everyone is different, so these are just some very general ideas for you to consider. We wouldn't discuss your personal situation on the forum - but I would urge you to give us a call or email as there are lots of things we would be happy to talk you through and discuss with you in more depth. If you'd rather email the team we can give you some information that way.

email: mndconnect@mndassociation.org
    Connect phoneline: 08457 626262

I hope that helps, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who can empathise and who have found various things which they've found helpful.

Best Regards,

Robyn

Hi Peggy;
    I think bowel problems affect most people with Mnd. Whilst some of the important muscles work quite well for a long time, I think that the internal ones that provide the push don’t.
    Laxatives work quite well with me but I also use the enema affect on my Bio Bidet, this generally has a fairly instant effect. I have in the past used suppositories, wax type ones, these worked well aswell. Read thread on bottom burps for a laugh.
    Regards Terry

Forum Member
    Hi Peggy my husband suffers terrible from bowel problems he tried lactulose for a while but now uses laxido from the doctor.He takes it each morning and now seems to be regular every second day.He is peg fed and we do find giving extra fluids throughy the peg help to move things along xx Irene xxxx

Forum Member
    My brother had bowel problems for over a year and had all sorts of tests. Then a few months ago he started to have cramps and muscle twitches. He was diagnosed with MND (ALS) just over a month ago and has rapidly deteriorated. It is a symptom of Parkinson's disease that as the nerves deteriorate and muscle weakness occurs then digestion becomes much slower and necessitates dietary changes. I still don't understand why the experts say that these problems are not MND related.

severe constipation is very common among patients. The various lifestyle changes forced on us plus the weakening of the diaphragm all contribute to this problem. The answer is MOVICOL. 1 Sachet every night in 125ml of water usually does the trick. It softens stool so it will pass out by gravity. It is on prescription

Clive
    Living with MND. There is a solution to every problem - never ever give up.

Forum Member
    Thank you all for your responses that all make perfect sense. I'm peg fed and have had my feed changed from concentrate to energy high fibre. I'm now on docusate and movicol. I'm still not passing a fat lot. Enemas and suppositories are having no effect whatsoever.

Forum Member
    Apparently it's common according to my lovely neurologist. Dehydration can start it all off, causing a blockage and then after that cleared, my bowel then had a pseudo blockage. All moving again nicely now with new meds and the use of flatus tubes to clear the air. It's been a long journey but one I know not to repeat. Lesson one don't ignore diarrhoea and nausea. Get x ray to show blockage, remove blockage and make sure you have the right meds to prevent a repeat. Thanks for al, your help and advice.

my sister has had als for 12 years and she use to no go for a week at a time and then have what we called small babies. The bowels are involved because you become unable to push the stool out. The narcotics cause constipation and the lack of movement doesn't help. She takes 3 teaspoons of senna twice a day and milk of mag at night and ever 3 days gets a bisacodyl suppository. They suggest rectal stem but she won't do it. But at least her stool is a lot softer now

Hi Mi;
    I take Molaxole, which contains Macrogol and that with the Bio Bidet sorts me out so far but I can still move around.
    Best wishes, Terry