Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Afflictions

Other Afflictions

I am starting this thread so we have a place to discuss other health problems that may or may not be a result of MND

For example: Pain, itching, sweating, gastric reflux, constipation have been mentioned on this and other forums.

Forum Member
    My mum says that all of them are relevant for her apart from pain- however she has aching and sensitive fingers (she has difficulty using her fingers with MND). When she got spasms a few months ago they were associated with pain.
    regarding ithcing, it is particularly bad re an area where she has a scar from unrelated surgery
    when she was on riluzole for a few weeks her head itched constantly
    she is always cold but sweaty and clammy
    constipation- ever since MND even though she drinks 2 large cups of fresh juice a day

Forum Member
    my mum wonders does anyone else find it hard to get to sleep?

rog
    Quote Originally Posted by luce View Post
    my mum wonders does anyone else find it hard to get to sleep?
    My mom has liquid Citalopram and Temazepam through he PEG before bed time, as she was finding it very hard to sleep with the bipap machine on all night.

Forum Member
    Hi Luce,

I use a sleeping tablet, Zolpidem 5mg. I take in bed, wait 10 mins, yawn & fall to sleep.

Sticky sweat, sometimes stingy is a symptom of mine.

I have asked the doctors but they do not understand what these symptoms are. If anyone has similar symptoms and their doctors do know what the cause is, I would appreciate the information.

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Luce

I drink a small mug of warm Horlicks or Ovaltine made with milk every night and this gets me to sleep .If I don't have the drink, I take forever to get to sleep. I buy only the original and not the light version of the drinks as the light versions are loaded with milk powder and all sorts of junk we can do without. I think difficulty getting to sleep is a feature of the disease.

Clive

Itching

Back in October when I was dxed I experienced itching around my ankles every evening. It was very bad and drove me mad. I bathed the area in very cold water and aplied antihistamine cream and got some limited relief. We changed my socks from wool to cotton and stopped using fabric softener in the washing machine but nothing helped. I was carefull not to scratch and break the skin as I was afraid of starting an ulcer, which at my age may be difficult to heal.

The itching started before I started on Riluzole, so I am sure that in my case it is not caused by that. Lately, the itching has stopped and is no longer a problem.

Swelling feet

My left foot droops, which causes me to trip over any little defect in the pavement and to fall up steps and stairs. I manage this now I realise what is happenning, but that foot is weak and I cannot lift the front very far off the ground. The other foot is quite normal. Recently, my lower leg, foot and toes have been swelling on the weak side. My toes look like the fingers of a rubber glove that has been blown up, and have no space between them. It was thought that I might have a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) so blood tets and a scan of my leg were done. No evidence of DVT was found, thank goodness, and the swelling is still unexplained.

A Physiotherapist has explained that there are non return valves in our legs to stop fluids collecting in them. Her sugestion was that the valves in my left leg are weak and not closing properly, and gave me exercise to work my calf muscles and I will try some massage to see if it will imrove the valves so they open and close properly. If it works I will report back.

Hi Graham

I also sweat very heavily in bed at night and sometimes my bedding is so wet it has to be changed. We turn the heating down at night so it is not a case of the bedroom being too warm. I am fairly sure it is associated with MND and it started before the more obvious symtoms were showing.

I think our consultants are vey focussed on Neurolgical symtoms and do not see these other afflictions as part of our disease. Over time, as we share what we are experiencing, we will build up a body of knowledge that will have to be taken into account and may even help further the understanding of the disease.

Clive

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by computatec View Post
    I am starting this thread so we have a place to discuss other health problems that may or may not be a result of MND

For example: Pain, itching, sweating, gastric reflux, constipation have been mentioned on this and other forums.
    Thanks everyone for comments re sleeping. I told my mum the responses to date- she is never keen on medication but you can never say never re the sleeping pills, i will let her know about the horlicks idea- pity they dont do a horlicks with non dairy milk since she doesn't normally drink milk.
    hope you all get a good nights sleep tonight
    luce