Thread: Adapted vehicle

Forum Member

Adapted vehicle

I'd like to buy a vehicle that can take both wheelchair and scooter. There seem to be a lot of different types around. I'd be most interested to hear of your experiences with such a vehicle and any snags you may have encountered.
    Best Wishes,
    Ivor

Hi Ivan;
    Welcome to the forum.
    Two years ago I bought a 2000 Kangoo automatic with a power ramp and a swivel passenger seat. I fitted a bar from front to back above the doors, a handle on one of the hinge rear doors and bar and stay on the inside of the other rear door. These modifications gave me independence for over a year as I was able to get to and use the scooter. We have now fitted a switch to operate the front passenger window so that if I am in my wheelchair I can get some air.
    If buy one I would look for good line of sight out of the front from the wheelchair, good heating and cooling at the rear of the van, diesel, not to steep ramp and an automatic.
    Look at the advisory sheet on the Mnda web site.
    There are many different Wav vans including one that allow a wheelchair up front. Try to get something for tomorrow and have a drive and a site in a wheelchair in the back if you can. Also, have a look at other posts on this forum.
    Regards Terry

Forum Member
    Many thanks for this Terry.
    How does the ride compare with that of a conventional car?
    Presumably the floor at the back has been lowered. Does this mean you are liable to hit road bumps?
    Regards,
    Ivor

Hi Ivan;
    It is noisy and in a wheelchair in the back can be bumpy and you get more G force especially if my wife is driving. Ours has a lowered back section with a smaller petrol tank but gets over the humps even when you straddle them. I do ride in the Hospice one sometimes and this is a bit quieter but still quite noisy compared with a car. As I mentioned, I find that the heating and cooling are not to good in the back of both vans they seem to have its own micro climate.
    Regards Terry

Forum Member
    Hi Terry,
    Once again, many thanks.If you come across personal experiences/snags from other people, I'd be most interested to learn about them.
    Best Wishes,
    Ivor
    (named, I believe, after heart-throb Ivor Novello. Regretably, I don't have his stunning good looks)

Forum Member
    Hi Ivor, I have been asked to help sell my partners fathers adapted VW Carravelle. He chose this model as was tall and couldn't fit into a Citoren Berlingo for instance. Please see link below for details. It will take both a wheelchair and a scooter.

http://bit.ly/AdaptedCaravelleOnAutotrader

He also decided to get the automatic wheelchair locking system is an option instead of tie down straps. The wheelchair had to have a plate fitted to the base.
    Adapted to suit Invacare Comfort Plus, with automatic tie down system, Again please see link below,

http://doclibrary.invacare.co.uk/Office/Europe/Marketing/MktDocUK.nsf/VALLMDocument/6027A62C8515B0FB802578C600308B26/$File/4P%20SpectraPlus_UK.pdf

I know a great deal of research went into the sourcing and adaptation of the vehicle and if you require any further information on the process and options or any general help please get in contact, my partners family would be more than willing to share their experiences and knowledge. Kind regards Jonathan

Forum Member

Vehicle

Many thanks for this info Jonathan.
    Ivor