Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lifting

Hi Terry and Pete

Thanks for those words it does help to see that we are not alone and I'm feeling less daunted by this whole thing since finding lovely people like yourselves.

Love Chrissy

Forum Member
    Hi Chrissy weve all been there we were stuck in a hotel bath many years ago.Thankfully the room was well heated because John would not let me go for help.Like yourselves we eventually got him out and still laugh many years later.However we have now learnt that its not a failure to ask for help,as I once thought it was.We had to have our bath taken out and now have a wetroom and use a shower chair.Much easier and safer for us.i miss having a bath but Johns needs have to come first.I cant wait to go to my daughters in southern Ireland to have a bath at christmas xxx

Forum Member
    So far narrowly avoided getting stuck in the bath.!! My OT got me sorted with an inflatable seat for the bath but I get paranoid there will be a power failure and I will still end up being stuck.. She also got us a lifting device called a Mangar Elk because I kept falling and my husband could not lift me.

Forum Member
    Hi Miranda, I have just taken delivery of a Mangar Elk which was demonstrated by the OT for hubby but I don't think I will be able to use it, I have to have a control in each hand and support hubby at the same time. Has anyone else got one of these - any tips please?
    Gloria

Hi Gloria;
    If hubby has some arm strenght you can put dinning chairs or other objects on each side and behind him so that he can support his self. I thought that there was only one control. We have used a slid sheet to move me to a better place for lifting before. It is always nice to have an extra pair of hands, so maybe a freind could help you if you have to lift him.
    Pratice makes perfect, maybe, Love Terry

Forum Member
    I agree with Terry - it is well worth having a few trial runs and we too used dining chairs to help with balance whilst the cushion inflates. Also remember to keep the battery charged!

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry and Miranda, unfortunately hubby has no strength in his arms or legs now, it is electic so just plugs into the mains. Hope I don't have to use it.

Love and hugs to all
    Gloria xx

Forum Member
    Guess who had another fall! Inflatable Elk to the rescue. Unfortunately my husband who has diabetes was having a hypo (low blood sugar) at the time so getting me sorted was a bit of a kerfuffle. I fell in the bathroom so was wedged in and difficult to get me onto the cushion but we worked it out somehow. Some bruises just starting to come out. We realised afterwards that the frame round the loo would be a good support round the Elk to help with balance as it inflates.

Me too belong to the never to bath again club,now in the big shower club.first shower for 10 days had to put up with blanket baths from ladies dressed in nurses uniforms.just had a thought for wifes crimbo present.

Hi Irene

Thanks, we are learning to ask for help, not much choice as he gets worse really.
    Enjoy your bath at Christmas, I'm going to miss having a bath but the wetroom that's in the planning does sound good.
    Just been told of a toilet that washes and dries you with warm water and air (sounds fab, I fancy that) and elbow height flush and foot pedal, has anyone got one of these?

Chrissy