Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lifting

Forum Member
    Hi Chrissy yes we have one of the toilets as well its a closmat one and an absolute godsend.Gives John a little bit of dignity back my grandaughters also like it at certain times of the month makes them feel fresher.Me................I just like it cos it warms my bum on a cold winters day haha xx

Hi Irene

Haha made me laugh, sounds fantastic, one of Bob's fears is to have the woman he has loved and cherished (me by the way) having to wipe and wash his bum, having said that I did do that in the shower today as when he stands up from his chair he can't quite reach with the shower head, but a bit different would be wiping when having been to the toilet. I am definately going to look into that one. Good idea with the girlies for time of the month by the way.

Chrissy

This all sounds so familiar. Unsteadiness, repeated falls. Over the past 5 years my husband (pls) has had hundreds of falls, often weekly, always had difficulty getting up. Until recently he has been able to get up by himself, usually using a chair to pull himself up with. His balance is awfull. His walking is now restricted to only very short distances (yards) and that is with the help of rotators, grab rails and people. He now uses a motorised wheelchair supplied by the local hospital, and I can only say life is so much better. The falls have reduced dramatically, infact I can't remember when the last one was. I doubt if he could get up alone anymore, but if he does have another fall, I will get help. Although I am fairly strong there is no way I could lift him. Remarkably, there have been no serious injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Marymacgregor View Post
    This all sounds so familiar. Unsteadiness, repeated falls. Over the past 5 years my husband (pls) has had hundreds of falls, often weekly, always had difficulty getting up. Until recently he has been able to get up by himself, usually using a chair to pull himself up with. His balance is awfull. His walking is now restricted to only very short distances (yards) and that is with the help of rotators, grab rails and people. He now uses a motorised wheelchair supplied by the local hospital, and I can only say life is so much better. The falls have reduced dramatically, infact I can't remember when the last one was. I doubt if he could get up alone anymore, but if he does have another fall, I will get help. Although I am fairly strong there is no way I could lift him. Remarkably, there have been no serious injuries.
    Hi Mary,

Oh yes can empathize with you on this one, Its much the same with me now , and yes its getting very tiresome getting up of the deck ,luckily I still have good arms strength so can still get vertical again if i have something to hold onto ,and to date nothing hurt but pride ?

regards
    pete
    All I need is a miracle

Hi Mary, talking from personal experience in the unlikely event of a fall phone 999 tell the operator the situation and they will send a car 2 crew members to assist try to avoid hurting yourself make him as comfortable as possible.
    Pete long may that be my friend. Hope you appreciated the censor ble advice above.

Best wishes

roy.

Love the post Chrissy !
    I am still trying to figure out when I stopped falling over having drunk too much and when i started to fall over due to MND.

There appears to be a cross over which the medical team find it hard to fathom out !

During the past couple of years the collapse in the garden ( on top of one of my favourite Camelias) , the fall in the bathroom whilst perched on one leg ( trying to dry my left foot) and the double pike, twin somersault and overhead flip ( in front of an astonished audience whilst checking in at the Arts Hotel Barcelona) , have all been put down to MND - as they were all mid morning.
    Others don't need mention but I think Captain Morgan spice rum may have had a contributory factor!

I too now have a chair in the shower and that helps a lot - it is now great to wash without getting out of breath !

Rory@cleanarmpitsareus.com

Hi Joycie;

This might save your hubbies back as we can't stop you falling over. It's a Mangar Elk, which some of us have that was supplied by the OT's.

The second page has a lot about them.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks, Terry

I fell transferring from wheelchair to hospital bed but then I couldn't get up at all. If I can get into a crawling position, I can crawl to the settee and he can haul me up from there. which is what I did! The bedhead hoist comes next week. I will have a look at the Mangar Elk!

Love

Joycie x

My Hospital bed has high grab rails fitted, it does make moving and getting up a lot easier and safer. I can find the name of them if you need it as they are quite good.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Yes that would be good Terry, thanks. Joycie. Xx