Thread: Advice on cathaters

Forum Member

Advice on cathaters

Hi guys
    My name is Lorraine and I have recently become a PA (4 weeks) for a lovely lady called Charlie aged 39 with mnd, diagnosed 2 and half years ago.
    I have been checking out your forum for the past few weeks and find all your adive and information really beneficial so I thought I would join and gain from your insight.
    Iím feeling a bit frustrated as we are having problems with Charlies catheter blocking. Last friday evening she had taken her water tablets and passed no urine. Her husband calls emergency services at 10.30pm as she was in agony and distressed. The district nurse was called also. Emergency response team arrives but say that canít do anything as they are not trained. Her husband eventually burst the blockage using a certain type of syringe. Charlie then had relief. The district nurse arrived at 1.30am.

Its one week later and again there is a blockage. We the carers have left and she is waiting on the district nurse to arrive along with her husband. Fortunately she is not in pain yet. I realise that I am learning everyday and I also realise when reading this forum there is a common thread that you need to be one step ahead! Iím just a bit confused at response times.
    My query is this:
    Can anyone enlighten me as to how long does it take to get a supra pubic catheter once you have been referred? Charlie has been referred 6 times.
    Is there anything we can do as carers to get in touch with the relevant professionals?
    Any advice/info would be much appreciated.

Oh and John I'm loving your tips. I got Charlie a Genie head massager had a few giggles!!!

Looking forward to getting to know you all more and learning!!
    Lorraine

Forum Member
    Hi Lorraine, to help stop the blockages ask the district nurses to show you how to flush the catheter using catheter maintenance solution (available on prescription) , it is really easy to do and if like me you do it once or twice a week it helps to keep the build up of the sedament down. Also you can try giving Charlie cranberry juice or lemon squash. This also helps with the problem of sedament in the bladder. I hope this has been useful.

All the best

Steve

Forum Member
    Cheers Steve for your speeedy response will get onto the district nurse asap. Will post again to let you know how we are getting on.
    Take care
    Lorraine

Forum Member
    Hi Lorraine,My husband John only waited 2 weeks from referal to having his SPC putting in.Hes also had trouble with sediment build up,I normally give him extra fluid through his peg and regular flush outs as Steve just said.I do find if the cath blocks I can normally unblock it with putting a little water in through a syringe then drawing back a little usually works.Our district nurse is usually here within about half an hour when needed.xx