Thread: Hi from John in Australia

John Wombat

Hi from John in Australia

I am 61, have very slow MND, diagnosed nearly 8 years ago. My MND is inherited, because of a mutation in the gene for the SOD1 enzyme. I am lucky because I still have half use of my legs, arms, torso, and neck . I've been taking riluzole/Rilutek all these years, at half strength because full strength makes me feel tired and dumb. Inherited MND throws up the problems of siblings having MND and telling my teenage children that this can be inherited . We live near Melbourne in south-eastern Australia. I'm still doing a little work as an agricultural scientist, I enjoy doing things with my wife and children, gardening, reading, wine ... I spend a little time trying to understand the mechanisms of MND and reading about MND research. I am about to post a question and comment about whether anaemia and high inflammation markers in the blood are a result of MND, under the Life with MND heading.

Good luck to you all, I hope MND is not too hard for you and that you find relatively good ways to deal with it.

John Faragher

Forum Member
    Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you aren't being troubled by the awful weather some parts of Oz are having at the moment.

Jenni

rog
    Hi john

Forum Member
    Hi John, welcome to the forum. Is the weather still hot over there, my sister lives in Adelaide, their having a bit of a heat wave seemingly.

Sonia

Hi John, welcome
    YNWA............Trying to stay positive..........

Website http://chris-versus-mnd.weebly.com/

John Wombat
    Thanks for the welcomes. We now have very heavy rain (so does Adelaide), after the cyclone up north, so I was out sweeping water away from the house - hard on the weak arms, but lucky no damage

Arthur
    Hi John, Welcome to the forum, I'm 65 got Bulbar living in UK but emigrating to OZ in couple of months (Perth) to join my children, we have had exceptional support and attention here , whats it like over there and does it cost you?
    Cheers

Arthur