Thread: Transport

Rosie

Transport

My wheelchair-bound husband hasn't been out since the bad weather in November. I have to get him to his hospital check up in March. Do you recommend a roating device for the car seat to help get him in it. Also any ideas on my aching wrists!

Forum Member
    Hi Rosie,

From my limited experience, there are a several options available which offer an answer to your problem, dependent on the level of mobility your husband has remaining. I give the following only as examples you can view online, not as a recommendation of the best product in your case.

You should refer to your husbands clinical support - Doctor, Occupational Therapist etc (don't forget to mention your 'wrists' problem, they can advise on that, too, not just with medication, but also with 'correct' lifting/support techniques!) - or your local Branch/Visitor and MND Connect (08457 626262 or click the linked tab at the head of this page) for help to decide on the method most suited to your circumstances. Also the supplier of your current wheelchair will be well placed to advise you.

But, in brief, the cheapest, simplest option, but one which depends on the most mobility, is a 'swivel cushion' such as the 'Turneasy' rotating seat cushion. This requires you to place the cushion pad on the passenger seat and then get the subject standing, out of their wheelchair, and lowered 'back-first' onto the passenger seat. The cushion then allows you to swivel them around until their legs are inside the car.
    There are example photos available to view at:
    http://www.polymorit.com/product.asp?productName=&id=17

Then there are a couple of more advanced methods. One is the swivel seat which is fixed and replaces the passenger seat of your car, but does so using existing fittings/rails etc in the car, so you can put back the original passenger seat, should you wish to sell or change the car at a later date.

The other relies on using a particular type of wheelchair, whereby the wheelchair seat itself becomes the passenger seat, being lifted off the wheelchair chassis and carried inside the car by a powered 'jack' mechanism, fixed inside the passenger compartment. This leaves the drive mechanism and wheels of the wheelchair which can then be placed in the boot of the car itself. This method also uses existing fittings in the car, so it can be restored to its original state.

Details of these methods can be viewed at, for example:
    http://www.techmobility.co.uk/swivel_seats.htm
    http://www.desgoslingmobilityltd.com...eats.php?cat=4

Remember, these are just examples, not recommendations. Many other options and manufacturers can be found using a simple internet search (eg. Google, AltaVista, search 'disability aids, swivel car seats').Good luck with finding the best solution for you and your husband, and don't forget to seek advice from your husband's clinical support team.

Mike.

Traceygibbo
    Our ot had a device that was a bit like a pilates wheel but made out of none slip fabric it worked well while my husband could mobilise also there are adaptions that can be done to the car seat itself so if you cant get anything off the ot try motability they were great when we needed to change our car to a wav early hope you get sorted Tracey

I used a turn disc which my husband stood on and rotated from the wheelchair into the car, we also used that in the housefor transfers from chair/bed/wheelchair/commode, in the car I used a small slide sheet to turn him round.
    however if you are suffering with your wrists this may not be a good idea, I did not realise how strong I was when transferring my husband or where I got all the energy from.
    I work in a care home and knew all the do's & don'ts for moving and handling however when dealing with someone who cannot help their upper body, to help with M&H, there is no way you cannot do, what we call in my job illegal moves.