Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men only - urine bottle

Forum Member

Men only - urine bottle

What a sad and stupid question, but HOW do I use a standard urine bottle in bed? I tried last night, with disastrous results! As I lie on my back [I can't sit up] and place the bottle in front of me I cannot make a connection, as the spout of the bottle is facing upwards at an angle of 45 degrees. I would need to be better blessed or a contortionist to be accommodated. If I change the position of the bottle - sideways or upside down - obviously it leaks. I tried a non leak adaptor, and the adaptor rather than the bottle filled up and overflowed My problem is that if I get out of bed and use it standing up, I cannot be sure of getting back into bed. [I am aided am and pm but not during the night]. How DO people use a bottle in bed unaided? mel

hi Mel,
    Had a bit of practice recently in hostpital had to lay flat on my back for 3 days,step 1 place bottle between legs at the same time place
    the old man carefully in the spout dont rush make sure hes in there then release, but dont withdraw straight away I was unable to give it a good shake
    whilst in place so I had plenty of tissue ready to avoid any spilage either on me the bed or other patients. Terry who was in bed next to me
    swore constlantly using foul langauge whilst attempting the bottle trick then using the button for nurse assistance for a bed change he ended up having a catherta I think they call it.In the morning nurse assistants would collect the Urine ( no Bob not piss takers) at the moment still have function in hands, maybe a different situation for me later.
    ps Terry I refer to isnt the same Terry who posts on here.
    best wishes.

Roy.
    Last edited by roy; 28th November 2012 at 19:05. Reason: Terry could of been offended

Sorry, i'm not a man but want to suggest a condom catheter for ease of use. A condom catheter is an external urinary collection device that is usually fitted over the penis, just like a condom. The condom part is attached to a tube, which drains the urine into a urinary storage bag. supplied free on nhs.
    Best wishes

Jeannie

GAGGED - MND ISN'T THE ONLY THING TAKING AWAY MY SPEECH

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

MND forum http://www.magimedia.co.uk/buildforum/ please feel free to come join me and other members.

ALS onset June 2000, dxed July 2001, I am 34 yrs old.
    Living and loving everyday regardless of ALS although I do have my down days.
    I'm singing and dancing inside!

Hi Roy

well expertly described , very well graphic, I suppose is the best way , that's another one for the book thanks.

Pete
    Life is what you make it.

hi Jeannie,

see thats why we missed you.

Roy.
    Last edited by roy; 28th November 2012 at 19:11.

hi Jeannie,

Glad to see you back here And I don't think anyone on here needs to be told your certainly ain't a bloke ???

Pete
    Life is what you make it.

lol thanks guys.

Great advice Roy

xx
    Best wishes

Jeannie

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

MND forum http://www.magimedia.co.uk/buildforum/ please feel free to come join me and other members.

Forum Member
    Great suggestion jeannie - thanks. I see on the web one has to be measured for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mel.

Your welcome, Mel. its true you gotta be measured EEK lol
    Best wishes

Jeannie

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

When I was first diagnosed, they gave me a wee bottle with a so called snap on top. I found it difficult to handle and hard to put the top on. Over the last year or so I have been using conditioner bottles, they are easy to seal, have large screw tops, come in two sizes ( 1.5 & 0.75 Ltr), stand up and are easy to grip. I use the ‘comfort’ ones.
    At night, I have a larger bottle 2ltr with an integrated handle. The handle is easy to hold and the bottle will lie with a slight downhill when I am on my back. Normally I use the bed to rise my legs whilst on my back. Won’t suit everyone but I find them so much better than the traditional ones.
    I do use a condom catheter (what Jeannie mentioned) when I travel on long car trips but don’t over like them but they work well. Have never used it at night. There is also a similar device that just attaches to the bit at the end of your penis, the makers claim that they cause less trouble with sourness but I did have a little trouble with it leaking do to it coming unstuck. They reckon that they stick better the more that you use them but I have never used them on two consecutive days.
    Best wishes, Terry