Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric beds ?

Electric beds ?

Thought I need to ask the experts, so. What type of profile bed is best for MND and how much would a decent one cost, what mattress is better Foam or Normal I have s pent hours looking and still none the wiser ,so your advice would be great thank you

Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Hallo Pete,see your OT they're supplied by NHS on hire,mine's a profile bed and has 5 functions,up n down etc. I have the air mattress a bit like a park bench until you get used to it.It moves very slightly every now n again to aleviate bed sores.

Gordon has just left he sends his regards.

Best Wishes Bob
    We are the Champions my friends,we'll go on fighting till the end.

Hi Pete.
    I spent 8 days testing an NHS bed. Found it really good,raise it up making it easier to get out of bed, multipostions to prop yourself up during the day for reading watching the Tv. The mattresses they use a plastic coated (useful if you need a blanket bath) make you stick and sweat so you would need a different type.The model I was testing also had a button I could press any time and came supplied complete with pretty nurses.

Hope you find the model that suits giving you the utmost comfort and joy.

Roy.

Forum Member
    I would see your OT before spending money on one .We bought one in the summer cos us £874 and its not at all suitable for Johns needs now so it was a waste of our savings really x

Hi Pete;
    Robert is right, go to your O T and maybe the district nurse. I have a memory form mattress, but they make it hard to move around and my hips do get sore after 2 hours. I think that Robert’s mattress is the best if you can’t move and roll. What make is your mattress Robert? If you can, get one like Roy's with a button for a pritty nurse.
    Silent Night, Holy Night, Love Terry

Hi Pete

Like Bob, mums was arranged by her OT. It came with the sort of mattress that Roy had, though the call button and pretty nurse weren't supplied. Eventually the district nurse arranged for an air mattress, which she didn't like much, like Bob says it was quite hard but she got used to it.

We did look at buying our own when mum was diagnosed and came across this little beauty, unfortunately I am not independently wealthy or a lottery winner but we can dream.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=XWPdpCK3pEE

Just thought I'd share with the other poor folk out there, if I ever do win the lottery drop us a line and ill buy you one.

Best wishes

Michelle
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.Ē -*Dr. Seuss

Forum Member
    Had mine 2 weeks supplied by NHS via OT. OK but very difficult after 40 years in a double bed - so narrow, but otherwise no complaints..Using silk filled duvet warm but light for turning. Had wendylett. sheets but abandoned for the moment - too slippery. M

Hi Big Bob,

Thank you for posting, I did speak to my MND nurse ,via the email as you will have guessed ?, asking her a few things and i did mention the bed , but was told that unless i was more or less confined to bed i wouldn't qualify for one ,That surprised me a bit , but i guess it could be down to area's again and money ?, anyway i will see the OT next month so I will try here see what response she gives. Not holding out for much better from her to be honest. And if you see Gordon again will you give him my best and wish him and his good lady a Great Christmas hope is still OK, he seemed to be the fittest of us three !!, when we last met, anyway keep smiling mate and love to the Lady Pat.

All the best
    pete
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Pete

have a look at this link - it will show you the help I received whilst talking to others with MND. We eventually got Mark a Huntleigh Bed with a Nimbus Professional air mattress. "Like sleeping on a cloud" is what he told me.

http://www.magimedia.co.uk/buildforu...highlight=beds