Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas

Christmas

Hi All

Is anyone looking forward to Christmas. My hubby Bob is like a big kid, trimming up, excessive food shopping, extravagant presents, but given the quality of his 'new' life I thought he would feel different this year, not so, he is looking forward to it more than ever this year.. I on the other hand am dreading it, partially because of future deterioration but also because my parents who are in their 80's are coming to stay as is my daughter and son, not sure how my son will be as he has been at Uni since September which was before diagnosis (think he will get a shock when he sees Dad)
    Maybe I am worrying unneccesarily and should just take it as it comes but I wonder if Carers in general fear the future more (or maybe just differently) than the sufferer.
    Would be interested to know how others either have coped with holiday times or plan to.

Chrissy

Hi Chrissy,

I can only give my opinion of how feel , dreading something I gave up four years ago , and now look forward to anything as the quality fails I tend to value life more and more as each day passes it's one more than I may have had when I suffered a brain bleed ,so think myself lucky, I am still here watching the family go about their lives ,and despite what's going to happen in the future , well face that when it happens not a minute before ,hope you find it within yourself to enjoy it , and will look forward to wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas when it's a bit nearer, no one knows what's in store for them and who knows maybe good news is not that far away.

Regards
    Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Hi Pete

Thanks for that, think I was momentarily feeling sorry for myself and thinking of all I will have to do, you have put it back in perspective for me. I shall try and catch his and your good cheer x

Chrissy

Hi Chrissey
    I feel like Pete to a large degree as this is my second Xmas post diagnosis. I enjoyed last year as I was still mobile and could eat and drink a little but this year I am much weaker , unable to swallow and course less mobile. This will be the first ever year without my favourite turkey and all the liquids that wash it down ! But I feel I must not put the damper on everyones else Xmas - I feel more than happy to see all the family - and like you my son will come home after a few months of seeing me and he will notice the difference. I feel as I have had so much support from people that I must be strong for them, particularly my wife who has boundless enthusiasm as she wraps presents, decorates the house.
    I am looking forward to Xmas with the adjustments and limitations to what I can do . I used to have a laugh with my family on Xmas day - why should this this one be different ! I will make it happen but I don't know how they are going to wrap a blonde nurse for me!
    I do hope you and Bob can share happiness and fun at this time of the year

Take care

Rory

Forum Member
    Hi Chrissey,We are going to stay with our daughter and grandaughters for christmas.Wendy hasnt seen her dada this year and although Johns had MND for 19 years she still feels the shock each time she sees him.Its only the first few minutes that she sees him and then we all get on with things.I suppose its different for us who are the carers as we see our loved ones every day,but like your son and my daughter,also my son who lives awa they notice the difference and sometimes it is a shock to see the change in their parent.Im sure your son will see that its still the same loving dad that hes always had and he will adjust to it better than you think.I do hope you all enjoy a wonderful christmas together.We leave for our daughters house in the early hours of thursday morning.I am driving to southern ireland Cork to be exact.We are staying for a month.John loves christmas and the build up to it so to be with the children is special to him xxx

Hi Rory and Irene

Thank you for your kind words..Rory your wife must be a great comfort to you with all that cheer I will try and take a leaf out of her book,I can see now that if I'm strong it will help others, after all my parents haven't seen him for 2 years, the last thing they need is me in bits. Think you're both right about my son, will try not to worry about other people.
    Enjoy your family over Christmas Irene, you might get a break which I feel certain you deserve.

Cheers to you all, I feel so much better after 'talking' to you

Chrissy

Hi Chrissey
    I find that Irene appreciates the retail therapy without having to drag me around the shops or leaving me in a pub as she used to. If it makes her feel happy , then let it be but I am a complete wreck after she has told me what she has spent ! Bob seems happy enough , like me with Xmas - so give yourself a treat - put yourself first at times - you deserve it !
    With the price of petrol going up it pays to drink not drive !

Have fun

Rory

Hi Pete,
    Stumbled upon last years christmas video which you obviously up loaded to you tube. Christmas comes in after about 2.30 mins if you don't want to watch it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1mwWVq-Ik

John

Hi John,

Ohh yes ,,you guessed , if only , Not much theses days to smile about , fuel going up and everything costing more , but when i feel a bit down just looking at my hero , just puts everything into perspective.Thanks John and i did watch it all and the others on there ?

pete
    All I need is a miracle

Hi

I watched it too, fab, love the meerkats, cheered me up x

Chrissy