Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with managing anxiety and panic attacks in MND.....

Sit upright with your arms over the back of a chair. Breathe in slowly counting to 7 as you do. Hold it for 7 seconds (or as long as you're able). Breathe out slowly counting to 7 as you do. Pause. Repeat process for 15 minutes.

You will start to feel better immediately but in 2 hours time, you will feel much much better.
    This exercise repeated twice a day helps prevent panic attacks too!

Panic attacks are caused by hyperventilation, ie., breathing too shallowly for too long a time - over-breathing, which elevates CO2 levels. Slowing your breathing down is the goal.

If you are a carer sit in front of your loved one/charge and hold their hands while you do this together and keep very calm and upbeat, as if this is normal. Too much seriousness on your face will trigger more anxiety.

Hth's
    Last edited by Lolly; 21st January 2013 at 02:14.

Hi Lola
    I was initially advised to have the Ventilator to aid my sleep as I was becoming breathless and was not getting enough oxygen inthe body and also not getting rid of carbon dioxide.. The ' Nippy 3 ' ventilator cured that ( I think most people say it does take a bit of getting used to - as it was a little invasive to me) . The carbon dioxide if not released can cause headaches in the morning. Also the ventilator pushes air in to the lungs and keeps them fully utilised. My breathing has been stable for over a year apart from when I do any any form of exercise as I am getting weaker.
    If there is a problem with the Nippy , it is that is dries out the mouth - the other end of the scale where excess saliva and gunge is produced during the day! To help this the doctor / hospital supplied us with a humidifier that attaches to the Nippy so that moist air passes through - it helps a lot.
    The appointment with the sleep unit should advise on the oxygen levels and general breathing issues and strength - they will identify any adverse trends for you. As I spend a lot of time downstairs we have been given another machine - it negates the need for my wife to take it upstairs each evening. I use it now quite a lot during the day to recharge my body. I have been told you can't overuse it but I can cope with up to 10 hours without using it some days if I just relax.
    I hope this helps - if you require any more info please let me know
    I hope your Dad responds to the drugs and is a little more relaxed.
    All the nest and take care
    Rory
    X
    Last edited by Rory; 19th January 2013 at 18:08. Reason: Distracted by footy results !

Forum Member
    Hi Lola
    My husband Dan also gets anxious he had a dreadful fall this time last year, he broke 4 ribs punctured a lung and broke his shoulder, since then the anxiety kicked in. His Doctor prescribed Mitazapine for him and they help a little. He also doesn't like to go out on his own, and in fact never does now, but his arms are badly affected so if he falls he can not save himself and goes down like a ton of bricks. I wouldn't say he has panic attacks as such though, but he has times when he just feels he has to get and and move about a bit, takes a few deep breathes and it seems to pass. I f your Dad has only been on the anxiety about a month it may take a little longer for then to kick in fully.
    It is horrible for you as I know helpless I feel, I hate it . But hang in there and continue to support your Dad.
    I hope the anxiety eases for him. I wish you well.

Forum Member

A problem sending private messages

Hi Rory

This sounds a little silly - but will you tell me if you received a personal reply from me. I think I am doing something wrong but I can't make out what it is!! Sorry to be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Joydy View Post
    Hi Rory

This sounds a little silly - but will you tell me if you received a personal reply from me. I think I am doing something wrong but I can't make out what it is!! Sorry to be a pain.
    Hi Joydy

I. Have just sent you a PM. I did receive a PM from you 22/1 @ 12.10.
    I hope that is the oe you refer to.
    Take care
    Rory
    New Year's resolution -not to get MND again !