• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laila
    • Apr 2024

Motorbike Mania

All

Realising there are a few of us that are into motorbikes I am starting a new thread. The motogp season is coming up and looks interesting. Will Rossi get back to his former glory or is he the past? Will Cal Crutchleow make GB team proud I hope he does. There are some interesting battles ahead this year. Lots of action. And there is WSB and BSB on TV.

My background on motorbikes is:

Rode an MZ 250 from age 16 toured the lake district on it. Then got a Honda CX500 that I commuted on in London rush hours. Followed the racing at Snetterton, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park and Isle of Man. Hiatus then got a triumph bonneville, 24000 miles done, CBT instructor in past. Hope this thread takes off here Roy, Pete, terry ?.?.. Others?.

Laila
  • john

Hi Carol,
    Interesting thought. Your profile photo doesn't fit with the image you have just painted .
    I will watch this space.

John

Comment

• roy

Hi Carol,
      The other events to look forward to being TT but my new racing fix is the North west 200. This is true road race frenzy
      with some fantastic racers.As for Motor GP will be watching both Cal and Bradley, Bradley living a few miles from me.
      This season promises to be an interesting one my money is still on Lorenzo has matured in the last two seasons used
      to get the red mist unfortunately Cal still seems to have these moments and frustrated me last year.as for Rossi think
      He has his hunger back so you would be silly to rule out the doctor.Im looking outside sunshine blue skies perfect for
      for a long ride,still I am considering painting the Zimmer Kawasaki green and let the good days roll.

Roy

Comment

• Treelover

I was born and brought up within half a mile of the TT course. Agostini was my hero. We still have a place in the Isle of Man so get back to see it most years. My dad was a Marshall and a biker in his youth. My sister still rides. I prefer a car though!

Comment

• roy

Hi Treelover,

Well Ago is a true legend as well as world moto GP champion he also mastered road racing, only a few are brave enough or nuts enough to
          do both.He still rides and races albeit displays don't think his feats will ever be matched.

Roy.

Comment

• MikeFD
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2011

Hang on Roy, if we're talking about legends let's not forget the home-grown variety. Mike-the-Bike Hailwood gave Ago plenty of competition (or was it the other way round?) and retired with 76 Grand Prix victories, 112 Grand Prix podiums, 14 Isle of Man TT wins and 9 World Championships (4 at 500cc).

He won what many historians consider to be the most dramatic Isle of Man race of all time, the 1967 Senior TT against his great rival, Giacomo Agostini. He set a lap record of 108.77 mph, that stood for the next 8 years (thanks Wikipedia!).

Mike.
            Last edited by MikeFD; 29 March 2013, 12:09.
            ". . . I'll be b-b-back!"

Comment

• Laila

All,

Not sure when the next race is on the TV??? I can get Eurosport and Eurosport 2, but don't have a Sky Sports package. By the way I have seen Mike Hailwood ride the TT course I think it was a return from retirement some time around 1980?

Comment

• MikeFD
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2011

Hi Laila,

That could have been 1978. After an 11 year break from bike racing, he made a brief comeback at the Isle of Man TT, which he won riding a Ducati 900SS. He also raced the following year and rode a Suzuki RG 500 to win the Senior TT, before retiring permanently.

Gotta stop this before the lads start calling me the Geek-inator!!

Mike.
                ". . . I'll be b-b-back!"

Comment

• Laila

HI Mike, that will be the year, 1978, he was riding a Ducati, white and green racing colours if my memory serves.

Comment

• miranda
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2011

Ah memories! My first serious boyfriend was into motorbike scrambling (now called motocross). At weekends we used to load his bike into his ex Post Office van and head off to a race. When we got back, we had to hose the mud off the van ready for it to be used for delivering meat for his Dad who was a butcher! Can you imagine that happening now? Also went to the TT in 1968 and saw the great Agostini. Still watch MotoGP on TV. Now you know why me and my rollator parted company in the snow - yes Rory I was probably speeding.

Comment

• Rory

Hi you Hells Angels !

I never rode a bike but in my days as an insurance broker in the late 70s early 80s I had a customer - Coburn and Hughes based London and Luton.
                      They set up the franchise to import the Ducatis, Moto Guzis and Harley Davidsons to compete with the Japanese bikes on the established market over here.
                      I remember going to their showrooms and the size of some of the Harleys - ginormous.
                      They then set up a spares warehouse in Milton Keynes to service all of their retail clients.

Then there was the dock / road hauliers strike in the UK and all these bikes were still being imported and started piling up at the dockside and had to be stored outside .Certain parts became rusty form the winter weather - a nasty insurance claim !

I bet Roy had no need to put fuel in his tank !

Miranda - post office van, meat, bike - first class my dear !

Cheers

Rory
                      Last edited by Guest; 29 March 2013, 19:18. Reason: Remembering those city lunches !

Comment

• Terry
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2012

It’s a job to know where to start Laila;
                        I too rod it to and around London and done a bit of dispatch riding there. Have been to the Island many times including seeing Hailwood in 1978. I manage to speak to him and Brands around that time as well. I used to marshal at many events including the old transatlantic series and some GP,s when Sheen, Roberts and Fredy Spencer was racing the oval piston four stroke Honda against the 500 two strokes.
                        I have ridden all my life, did not that I would survive to be thirty but loved the freedom. I was nearly just as happy on a C70 as a CBR600. I also rod around Iceland in about 1980.
                        I fancy Marc Marcas to win this year, Would love to see Crutchleow do it, and I think Lorenzo will beet Rossi.
                        Hope I’m wrong and Carl comes first followed by Rossi.
                        Dream on, Terry
                        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Laila

Sounds great terry. I'd like to see Cal Crutchleow win as well - team GB!

Comment

• Terry
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2012

There has been a fairly good series on ITV4 channel 024 called TT Legends. You might catch the review of the whole series if you look through.
                            Regards Terry
                            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Laila

Terry, can see the TT legends programme on the ITV player iPad app, and can play on the iPad thanks. Laverty won the first WSB race of season at Philip Island.

Comment

Working...
                              X