Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorbike Mania

Hi you Hells Angels !

I never rode a bike but in my days as an insurance broker in the late 70s early 80s I had a customer - Coburn and Hughes based London and Luton.
    They set up the franchise to import the Ducatis, Moto Guzis and Harley Davidsons to compete with the Japanese bikes on the established market over here.
    I remember going to their showrooms and the size of some of the Harleys - ginormous.
    They then set up a spares warehouse in Milton Keynes to service all of their retail clients.

Then there was the dock / road hauliers strike in the UK and all these bikes were still being imported and started piling up at the dockside and had to be stored outside .Certain parts became rusty form the winter weather - a nasty insurance claim !

I bet Roy had no need to put fuel in his tank !

Miranda - post office van, meat, bike - first class my dear !

Cheers

Rory
    Last edited by Rory; 29th March 2013 at 19:18. Reason: Remembering those city lunches !
    New Year's resolution -not to get MND again !

It’s a job to know where to start Laila;
    I too rod it to and around London and done a bit of dispatch riding there. Have been to the Island many times including seeing Hailwood in 1978. I manage to speak to him and Brands around that time as well. I used to marshal at many events including the old transatlantic series and some GP,s when Sheen, Roberts and Fredy Spencer was racing the oval piston four stroke Honda against the 500 two strokes.
    I have ridden all my life, did not that I would survive to be thirty but loved the freedom. I was nearly just as happy on a C70 as a CBR600. I also rod around Iceland in about 1980.
    I fancy Marc Marcas to win this year, Would love to see Crutchleow do it, and I think Lorenzo will beet Rossi.
    Hope I’m wrong and Carl comes first followed by Rossi.
    Dream on, Terry

Sounds great terry. I'd like to see Cal Crutchleow win as well - team GB!

There has been a fairly good series on ITV4 channel 024 called TT Legends. You might catch the review of the whole series if you look through.
    Regards Terry

Terry, can see the TT legends programme on the ITV player iPad app, and can play on the iPad thanks. Laverty won the first WSB race of season at Philip Island.

I afraid that I missed it Laila;
    Moto GP and BSB at Brands on the 7th and World S B from Aragon on the 14th of April. Don’t have sky or free sat so I will have to wait till they appear on the old time stations. Will have to get up to date with my TV as we are in a fairly poor aerial coverage area and my internet connection is not perfect.
    I put together a spread sheet with the dates of Moto GP, BSB, WSB and F1 races. If anyone would like a copy send an PM with your email address and I can attach it.
    Watching British Touring Cars now.
    Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 3rd April 2013 at 18:42. Reason: Offering spread sheet to anyone

Hi Terry I remember watching the transatlantic trophy and saw Freddie spencer and Barry sheene race at silver stone. I lived in Sutton so not too far to travel. Carol (Laila)

Carol I was there too, Marshaling in the pits or around Copse Corner. We used to camp in the circuit for the three days, great fun. Was it run over Easter, can't remember this weather. It was good to see the different stiles of the Americans as many had not raced in the rain, but their dirt track racing quite often made up for that.
    Very enjoyable series, love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 31st March 2013 at 21:58. Reason: You must remember me, I was the one with the Barry Sheen jacket on, I got it cheep

Terry can't remember if run over Easter. it seemed like at the time I was in the company of the heros. Watching those guys race in those days was something else. I felt great on my road bike even though I only travelled around 55 mph . Speed wasn't important. The fact that I was,on a bike and cruising was good

Hi Terry Laila ,

I was there at Silverstone when the great Sheen and Roberts raced one of the most exciting races i had the pleasure of watching just wondered if you guys watched that one,I also enjoyed Eddie Lawson riding the Kwaker , in some respects Stoner on the notorious Ducati reminded me of Eddies achievement.
    Had the opportunity to take on Silverstone,Cadwell,Castlcom, Oulton and my favourite Donnington. Favourite bike but by no means the fastest I owned but great in its time was a Kwaka Z900b, fastest a blade and my last a zrx1200. Biggest mileage big a Suzuki GS850g at 59,000 miles,
    used it for commuting and touring the length and breadth of Europe over 2years.the last ride was this day last year on a warm sunny day did 150 miles knew it was my last and sold it on eBay a week later together with my Dainese leathers and Shoei helmets. For me loved touring,
    but on track getting my knee down and keeping the throttle open as long as possible was a pleasure.