Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishmate 12 Supplements

Forum Member
    Yeah, I am glad to hear you are OK ish too Clive, keep checking in to see if you have been on the forum. like your moto about the solution to every problem,
    best wishes
    lucy

Hi Clive,

Good to see your back,it took me a little while to recover From my hospital stay late last year.
    Hope you feel more comfortable now your back home.

Take care.

Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Hi Clive,
    Glad to hear you are alive and (metaphorically speaking) kicking. Ray who created this supplement list seems to have stalled this illness and is keen to share. Do you think your loss of leg strength was down to the pneumonia? Have you regained any?

john
    Hi John

For some months I had difficulty transfering from bed to wheelchair, recliner chair, toilet etc. My left leg has been paralysed for more than two years, but we found ways round it. later i did not have enough strength to raise myself off the toilet and had to be helped. Finally I could no longer stand or support my own weight. It was a devastating blow because I had to have two carers and be hoisted for every transfer. Now its just a way of life. I have not regained any strength as I now spend twelve hours a day in a wheelchair and have no exercice or movement at all.

The pneumonia came about because our central heating kept shutting down due to a faulty circuit board. Engineers came numerous times and never found the fault and over Christmas there was no service at all. Dec 27th I was taken to the Isobel hospice, seriously ill. Fantastic care at the hospice saved my life.

Clive
    Living with MND. There is a solution to every problem - never ever give up.

.I mentioned the possibility of remission in an earlier post. here is an article on the subject:

Atypical Cases

Walter G. Bradley, DM, FRCP, University of Miami, points out, "There are patients in whom the ALS has remitted; I have seen three and there are several in the literature. There is an even greater number of patients in whom the ALS seems to burn itself out; these patients stabilize and remain in whatever state they had reached by that time. A significant proportion of ALS patients have a much slower progression than the average; 10% of people live 10 years and 5% live 20 years.

Reasons for Living With ALS

By Mary Lyon, R.N., M.N.

Anoother reason for not giving up!

Clive

Hi Clive ,
    Glad you are around and feeling positive. The Mary Lyon post is interesting. I don't remember people halting progression. Inspiring to know it can be done. You would think that if whatever was attacking the motor neurons had stopped there could be some regeneration even if over a long time. If supplements can do this it is a real tragedy that no one researches this and tells newly diagnosed that there is an alternative to just leaving the disease to progress. Stephen Hawking is a case in point . If someone could have arrested his disease progression all those years ago goodness knows what he might have achieved.
    John

I often wonder about Stephen Hawking. Has his MND burnt out? Does he take something? He does not appear to publish anything about his condition.

Clive

Part 2

Here are my notes on useful supplements. They are worth a careful read.

Clive

SUPPLEMENTS

Boost Cellular Energy using Acetyl-L-Carnitine

Each and every cell has its own energy-producing factories. These factories are called mitochondria.

Carnitine helps mitochondria in several different ways. Most importantly, it transports fatty acids into the mitochondria, where they are burned to produce energy. This provides energy to all your cells and, at the same time, helps you to lose excess fat or maintain an ideal body weight.

Acetyl-l-carnitine is a special form of carnitine that has the ability to pass through the blood-brain barrier (a shield that protects the brain from many substances found in the bloodstream).

Once inside the brain, it nourishes the brain cells’ mitochondria. It is oxidized and converted into ATP (chemical energy for the cell).

Improve Muscle Strength with Creatine

Creatine is a naturally occurring substance in the body and in foods. It is made up of three amino acids – arginine, glycine and methionine. Creatine is used to provide a "reservoir" of energy in the cells by helping the body's muscle cells convert ADP (adenosine diphosphate) back to ATP (adenosine triphosphate). create energy and maintain muscle mass.

A number of research studies have demonstrated the benefits of taking 5 to 10 grams of creatine daily for patients with neuromuscular diseases. According to Dr. Perlmutter, researchers at Harvard Medical School published a study in 1999 that showed that supplemental creatine protected mice with a genetic form of ALS from the loss of motor neurons, and improved movement. The authors concluded that “creatine administration may be a new therapeutic strategy for neuromusclular disorders”.

A study in the journal Nature found that creatine was more effective than Riluzole in extending the survival of mice with the genetic form of ALS. The scientists noted that Riluzole alone extended the survival rate by 13 days in mice, whereas with creatine administration, survival doubled to 26 days. The study proposed that creatine stabilized the enzymes in the mitochondria, thus slowing the cell death process.

These studies support the benefits of including creatine in a protocol for neurodegenerative conditions. Creatine is well tolerated, though patients with kidney or liver disease should check with their doctors before using.

Coenzyme Q10

Coenzyme Q10 is a powerful antioxidant that protects cells against free radical damage, and is also a natural compound that acts inside the mitochondria, the ‘powerhouse” of the cell, where it is involved in cell energy production.

“CoQ10 dramatically extends survival in animal models of ALS. So there is no reason to wait for clinical research to prove coenzyme Q10’s effectiveness in humans. Time is clearly of the essence in ALS. Including CoQ10 in this protocol is mandatory”.

Coenzyme-Q10 (or CoQ10) is available from many manufacturers in a number of different forms.

Several manufactureres have worked on developing enhanced bioavailability forms of Coenzyme Q10, meaning that if more of the CoQ10 is absorbed by the body, then a lower dose of the supplement is needed. The gel form of reduced CoQ10 is called ubiquinol, which is far superior to the more common form of CoQ10 called ubiquinone, which has been oxidized.

Until recently the reduced form ubiquinol was difficult to manufacture due to its rapid oxidation in the air. New technology has allowed for the manufacturing of stable coenzyme Q10 in the reduced form. The results from an animal study that compared the absorption of the two different forms, as well as a human study showing significant absorption of ubiquinol, showed that taking ubiquinol orally will offer much improved bioavailablility.

Alpha Lipoic Acid

"Alpha lipoic acid is clearly the most exciting antioxidant of the decade... unlike more familiar antioxidants, alpha-lipoic acid is not characterized as being water soluble or fat soluble. It is both...its fat solubility allows this powerful antioxidant to enter the brain. This makes lipoic acid an ideal candidate for neuro-degenerative conditions."

"As well, alpha lipoic acid has the unique ability to regenerate many of the other vital brain antioxidants including vitamin E, vitamin C, and glutathione."

There are two forms of alpha-lipoic acid, an S-form and an R-form. Researchers believe that R-Form may be "up to 12 times more effective" than regular alpha lipoic acid which contains a synthetic by-product.

It is important to find a lipoic acid that is heat and shelf stable. And, it is important to find one that doesn't cause heartburn, indigestion or stomach discomfort, which can occur with unstabilized RLA.

Vitamin C

A recent paper has proposed that Vitamin C deficiency may be the underlying mechanism for the development of ALS.

Vitamin C plays an important role in the transmissions of signals between neurons.

It is an important brain antioxidant, and serves to support the activity of other brain antioxidants vitamin E and glutathione.

The Linus Pauling Institute uses high doses of vitamin C in their ALS protocol. The most recommended type of vitamin C is one that is buffered, so that even megadoses are easy on your stomach.

Vitamin E

Vitamin E is currently the focus of extensive study in the treatment of serious neurological disorders. Studies have noted low levels of vitamin E in the cerebrospinal fluid of People with ALS, as much as 31% lower than normal.

Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant. Deficiency is associated with progressive neurological deterioration. Researchers at Northwestern Medical School have now concluded that Vitamin E both delayed the onset and slowed the progression of ALS. It does not prolong survival, however, function is preserved for a longer period of time.

And in an newer study of nearly a million people, Harvard researchers discovered that those who took vitamin E supplements daily lowered their risk of developing ALS by 62 percent. Lead researcher Alberto Ascherio, M.D., speculates that the antioxidant sponges up free radicals that can cause damage to the nervous system.

The best form of vitamin E is a vitamin E complex which includes alpha, beta and gamma tocopherol, as well as tocotrienols.

Most Vitamin E on the market is alpha tocopherol. The problem with taking only alpha tocopherol is that it can create a deficency in the other tocopherols. You want a vitamin E that provides the synergistic benefits of all the tocopherols and provides maximum antioxidant function to neutralize free radicals.

Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol

Researchers have postulated that a deficiency in vitamin D may play a causative role in neurodegenerative disorders.

A vitamin D deficiency has been noted in Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's disease and now ALS. When choosing a vitamin D supplement, be sure that it is vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol, which is the natural form of vitamin D (unlike vitamin D2 which is a synthetic) and has at least 1000 IU of vitamin D, preferably 5000 IU..

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)

Several studies have proposed that a deficiency of thiamin (Vitamin B1) may be associated with ALS. A thiamin deficiency is characterized by a non-inflammatory degeneration of the myelin sheath.
    Suggested usage : 25 mg a day

Magnesium

A deficiency in this mineral has been noted in ALS, which is really not surprising, since ninety to ninety-five percent of the population are below healthy magnesium levels. Without sufficient magnesium the nerve cells cannot give or receive messages.

Magnesium can help with the following symptoms: muscle spasms, cramps, tics, jerks, backaches, low energy, inability to sleep, anxiety, nervousness, weakening bones, and heart-related difficulties.

Calcium needs magnesium in order to assimilate into the body. However, when too much calcium is consumed, it will pull magnesium out of the bones and tissues of the body. So calcium can actually rob the body of magnesium.

The solution to restoring healthy magnesium levels is to take a magnesium supplement that is highly absorbable. Most magnesium capsules and tablets are not completely absorbed by the body.

Hi again Clive,
    I understand that Stephen hawking exists on a mixture of vitamins and supplements. I think it was Roy who posted a list on here sometime ago. I don't think any dosing amounts were given just that he was taking them to survive.

John

Hello Clive,glad to see you back,missed your input along with Matt j's . Warmest Regards Bob
    We are the Champions my friends,we'll go on fighting till the end.

Hi all,

2 weeks ago tried the metal tester that was kindly donated to me by a friend,the test comprises off my own water ( wee) and a chemical
    To determine metal content in my body,I was keen to do this since a life of bad teeth and a mouth full of cheap fillings plus working with metals and dusty environments. on seeing high metal readings from the test ordered bio chelet and have been using it for week to use as as a detox,
    My understanding is that it can be a benefit to all regardless o mnd. I would be interested in finding a supplement to support this direction
    A coincidence but I have felt a little better inside might be the sunshine the last 2 days.

Best wishes.

Roy.