Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Transportable Mobility Scooter

Forum Member

Car Transportable Mobility Scooter

Hi, I am looking for a Mobility Scooter that is light weight and breaks down easily to go in the back of my car. Does anyone have any recomendations for a scooter that is reliable please?

Forum Member
    Hi Connoll, I have a lightweight scooter which folds down and fits in quite a small boot. You don't have to take it to bits. There are 3 different makes of these. They come out to your house to demonstrate and were not pushy. It weighs 23kg so an able bodied person can lift it in and out easily. I had a hoist fitted so I can manage on my own. These small scooters have limitations. They are great around town, shops and decent surfaces. No good on gravel. They are powered by lithium ion batteries which keeps the weight down, but are quite costly. They have a reasonable speed and battery life but are not good for longer trips. Can't tell you about reliability yet as I have only had it for a month. There are pros and cons to all scooters and you have to try to work out what you need. I borrow/ hire larger ones at places like Kew Gardens or on holiday in Lanzarote. Let's see what the others have to say and if you search for scooters in the search box at the top it will bring up previous threads. Good luck.

Forum Member
    I would recommend the GoGo plus range, they can be easily dissassembled and have a reasonable range but with a transportable scooter you will never have enough range. I don't actually have a GoGo but when I'm renting a scooter I have started to ask for it.

I have a Rio4 which has one wonderful feature, you can carry a spare battery pack below the seat. I only wish others had this feature as when the lights flash due to low power it is wonderfull knowing you have a spare battery.

Don't believe the range stated in the description of a scooter, my Rio says up to 10 miles but outside it is closer to 4 miles. If you were using it indoors on a good flat surface you would get a lot more than 4 miles.

Arthur
    Smile they said "Life could be Worse", so I did and it was

Hi Connoll;
    I too would not hesitate in buying a Gogo Plus. Does over 8 miles and I have had one for over three years, taken it everywhere, is great. Look at ebay as they sometimes have some good offers around the 580 mark.
    Regards Terry

Forum Member
    I would look at the Explorer 4, check out this video, it demonstrates how compactable it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOT06rlmudQ [Content removed] I think it's 499, good option, as the other guys have said, there are also some good offers on Ebay
    Last edited by Andrew; 20th April 2013 at 18:00.

Forum Member
    Danny,
    is your post an advert for a product you are selling or are you an independent user?

The explorer seems similar to the Rio and GoGo range, maybe slightly more difficult to assemble/disassemble than the GoGo,

Arthur
    Smile they said "Life could be Worse", so I did and it was

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Danny,
    is your post an advert for a product you are selling or are you an independent user?

The explorer seems similar to the Rio and GoGo range, maybe slightly more difficult to assemble/disassemble than the GoGo,

Arthur
    Hi Arthur,

I believe the post above to be an advert, so proceed with caution.

I have decided to keep the post up though because it may be of use to Connoll and other forum users wanting to get an idea of available scooters.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Forum Member
    We have a go go plus and I have had a hoist fitted to put it into the boot. Still find the detachable seat a bit heavy to lift into boot. Know I am a61 year old weakling but am the only carer.

Magic

Forum Member
    Hi no I am not selling this scooter, I just know that it is a good one as I know someone who owns one

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Danny,

Arthur
    Hi no I am not selling this scooter, I just know that it is a good one as I know someone who owns one