Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The cough is taking over

Forum Member

The cough is taking over

Hello all, well I don't wnat to post this but somebody may have words of wisdom to help.
    My sis has had a bad week end last weekend then with antipbiotics she rallied round this last week, but yesterday she was coughing and coughing and had no strength (her legs seem very weak). She had a night nurse last night, but in between her leaving and her hubby being in the room she had a fall. She was ok, bump on head. She had some breakfast and her meds and then used the suction and me patting her and giving her a steam inhalation, which she said was soothing. She then fell asleep and has had a good long sleep.
    I guess my question is.....can she rally from this...or is this heading towards the inevitable end more quickly than we had hoped? The district nurse said 'things have moved on'
    She is insisting on all things as normal...and her hubby is due to go to a school reunion and a friend is coming over to do dinner and be with her and I am returning at midnight to sit/sleep with her so her hubby gets a night's sleep.
    Tonight we are having a eurovision gathering of our 'Rome' friends which will be nice. Then the nurses are booked in, and on Monday we can make sure that is the case so that she is not on her own..also she has agreed to commode in bedroom, her bathroom is ensuite, but a near commode in the night will be much better.
    I am trying to be brave and accept what will be will be.but ................
    this is such a horrible thing
    please keep us in your thoughts......I also feel bad because I said that people always keep going until the significant event that they had to look forward to happened - in her case the birth of her grand daughter in 9 week approx, she is such a fighter, so stubborn but this disease is a real b***st**d
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDebbieXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Debbie;
    I can't say how things are and are going to be for your sister but it does not take much to knock us down. A small cough or cold is quite bad for us as is a fall etc.
    Once over the event i have always returned back to something like I was. So if sis has had a speeding up of the symptoms there is a fair chance that she will perk up again.
    I don't think that subjecting her to the Eurovision is very fair though, it's painful enough were your well.
    All the best, Terry

Hi Debbie

My John was struck down by a chest infection about three weeks ago. He caught it from me and I was so bad I couldn't even stand upright, so when he started to cough I feared the worst. He's had two courses of antibiotics and was given suction and cough assist machines and now there's no sign of the chest infection.
    I sat for days watching and worrying that this could be it, but very slowly he started to improve and the glint is back in his eye.
    I'd be a liar if I said he wasn't a bit weaker from it all, but I guess that's the nature of the beast and for as long as he's making even the slightest recovery from infections then that's an extra day we have to share.
    I totally know what you mean about the significant event - it was John's birthday earlier in the month and I threw a surprise party but because he'd been so poorly I, like you, thought he may slip away, but he's still here - barking out orders and scoffing caramel shortbread!
    Thinking of you all, enjoy the Eurovision

Wendy xx

Hi Debbie,

sorry to hear your sis is having a rough time, it's par for the course, the coughing is a real pain, but if it's productive then all the better . I have to say in my symptoms the cough is no worse than it has been , but have had one for a long time now and the respiritry nurses all agree that it's no bad thing as long as it's doing its job keeping the airways free, and can empathise with the weak legs part, but keep the faith Debbie don't give up and give her my very best wishes ,we have to look forward to some decent weather ,just hope it comes soon ,things always improve when you get some sun on your face, and being stubborn is the right way to be , you take care.

Pete
    XXXXXXXX

Forum Member
    Hi Debbie, Pete, All

Hoping for the best for your Sis, Debbie. Agree with Pete, having the sun on your face always improves your mental state, even more so if your stubborn and a fighter! which she sounds like she is! Yes this illness is a bas----d, but don't underestimate the power of the human spirit and it's resilience, it can be just as tough. Sounds like your Sis has much to fight and live for, and god willing she will continue to do just that!

Hope your back to stay Pete, and no Uncles needed lol Just curious, what is a Eurovision gathering??

CCx

It's a 'singing' competition (in it's loosest sense) with entrants from countries across Europe. Some countries take it very seriously, others less so. The countries vote for each other, mostly giving higher marks to the countries they are most friendly with, rather than because of the quality of music, as a result, England haven't won for years because most of Europe hates us! Lots of people have parties tonight to watch the show, get drunk and berate the acts, judges and unfairness.
    It's great fun!!

Hi Wendy,

You summed that up perfectly, it is what it is ,no more, and the day you think it's a serious song competition game over !!!.

Pete
    X

Nice to see you back my lovely, we've missed you and John

X

Hi Debbie et al

I have had two nasty chest infections , one last July (lasted one month) and one in December ( that seemed to last forever !) and a fall in April ( ironically on the way to the doctors) and I felt, over the period, weaker but I have bounced back from all 3. Unfortunately I did not bounce back off the driveway a but no damage done to the Tarmac .

I found I was sleeping more after the infections and I still can sleep for England but when I am out I feel I have sufficient recharge in my my body to cope.

We shall see this coming week as I am off to Wembley 3 times in 5 days to see the champions leagues final,the championship play off final and England v republic of Ireland !

That is if I don't crash my new motorised GT wheelchair - Laila watch out for me on MOTO GP or is it GT?

Scary !

Debbie , tell your 27 yo twin SIS to wake up and get out jogging !

Rory

Xx
    New Year's resolution -not to get MND again !

Hi CC,

Well missed you so much !!!!, and to be perfectly honest Life really is to short to be arguing about things that are not going to change anytime soon , at least here everyone's civil, Just hope John can see his way back to this forum

Pete
    XX