Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gets you through the days?

What gets you through the days?

I'm really struggling at the moment and missing my dad desperately. He really was the kindest person I've ever known and never had a bad word to say about anyone. He never complained about MND and all the problems it caused him and always had a smile when I went to visit him. If I ever needed anything I knew he was always there for me and now I just feel so alone without him. It's been such a lovely sunny day and I know if my dad was here he'd have been sitting out in the garden enjoying it and doing his crossword, in between watching the Olympics. I just want to go and see him and be with him and I can't. To all of you on here who've lost loved ones to this cruel disease, the question is how do you cope when they're gone? What gets you through the days? Do you feel they're still with you? Thanks for any answers. I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies for that. xxx Becky

Forum Member
    Hello Becky, I don't have any answers but am feeling exactly the same about my husband. The missing is just unbearable. I talk to his photo constantly, sometimes it helps and I try to keep really busy. Works to a point but then if I get a lull I crash. I am sure our loved ones are watching over us, I know it doesn't help the desperate feeling of wanting them back but it is a small comfort. People tell me it's going to be really tough but that it will get easier, I try to believe! Take lots of care, I will be thinking of you and am sending you big big hugs xxxxx

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I'm really struggling at the moment and missing my dad desperately. He really was the kindest person I've ever known and never had a bad word to say about anyone. He never complained about MND and all the problems it caused him and always had a smile when I went to visit him. If I ever needed anything I knew he was always there for me and now I just feel so alone without him. It's been such a lovely sunny day and I know if my dad was here he'd have been sitting out in the garden enjoying it and doing his crossword, in between watching the Olympics. I just want to go and see him and be with him and I can't. To all of you on here who've lost loved ones to this cruel disease, the question is how do you cope when they're gone? What gets you through the days? Do you feel they're still with you? Thanks for any answers. I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies for that. xxx Becky
    Same with me, Becky and Pea. I miss my Dave so much and it hurts every day. It is taking one day at a time, but they are days you would never have chosen. It's not getting easier yet - 13 months on - sorry to say. Sitting here thinking of you both - and all those suffering grief, is it better to never have loved than loved and lost? Probably not, but that's how it feels sometimes. Trish xx

Forum Member
    I keep asking myself that same question Trish and it's a really close call! Thinking of you too and wishing us all the strength and courage we need to keep getting through the days. I don't have much of either at the moment. Paula xxx

Forum Member
    I lost my Mum last November and am struggling to continue without her, some days are worse than others. I think its because they died so awfully and it just wasnt there time. I hope I live long enough to find out what causes this disease. Love and Hugs to You

Hi Becky, my mum passed away on Christmas day,not through mnd she had cancer. I still go to ring her ,then reality hits and it hurts. My mum said when she knew she couldn't beat it , enjoy you life I've had a long good life and have a lovely family , don't be sad .
    It helps a little to know this but sometimes nothing will stop the pain and you have to just deal with it the best way, 2 days ago Tom had his peg fitted the ward he was on was looking directly at the oncology suite ,I could see the room mum was in when we were told go home and enjoy Christmas.
    I'm getting to the stage remembering the better times not just when mum was ill . Lorret
    Last edited by lorret; 14th August 2016 at 20:19.

Forum Member
    Hi Becky, I know how you feel as I lost my dad in January. The only things that get me through are my mum, keeping busy and planning nice things to do and holidays. The pain never goes away does it �� I long to turn back the time. Big hugs xxxx

Thanks for all your kind messages and hugs back at all of you xxx It's been a really low few days, but your messages have really helped me put things in perspective a little. I'm trying to be positive about it all and yes, I think I'm so lucky my dad was a part of my life, no matter how much it hurts sometimes. I've got so many wonderful memories and I'd love to think our family watch over us from beyond. The day when there's some kind of treatment can't come too soon. I wish strength to all of us to get through the days xxx Becky

Forum Member
    Hi Becky, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm also dealing with grief from my mum's passing a couple of months ago. I try to keep busy but I guess we will all have our moments as everything around us seem to remind us of our loved ones. It could help to talk about how you feel to family and friends, you're not alone. Your dad seems like a wonderful person, I'm sure he would want you to try your best and live on. lots of love xx

Hi Jermima x thank you for your lovely message and sorry to hear about your mum too. I'm sure you're right and our loved ones would want us to be happy, so I'm trying. tc xxx Becky