Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painful Fingers

Hi Cath

Never thought I would ever be praising Velcro fastening shoes , but they are a gift, for me now it makes putting on shoes less of a struggle and anything that makes life a bit easier is fine with me .

Regards
    Pete
    All I need is a miracle

If you have hand problems try the Hand therapy department in hospital, they might provide hand resting splints and things to hold your fingers together. The splints help rest the lower arm if the muscles are twitching.
    Hi Rory, I don’t think that is why they are called tendons. Mind you, Biceps have two major muscles and triceps have three. So maybe Ten dons have ten.
    I know what you mean Pete about strapping hurting after crashing my bike. Funny, I was just thinking about using them two fingers to hold myself on the rocket ship (motor bike) and using the other two for the front brake. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    Don’t yet have numbness Roy, well only in the head. The cold is not as bad as any pressure or stress.
    Like Mic my toes can sometime curl but I can normally control them a little.

Forum Member
    Hi Clive,
    The fingers on my rh curl inwards the lh has 1st finger on it's way. My nails do grow quickly.

Michael

Forum Member
    Hi, I can see this is an old thread but I’m hoping someone can help.
    My hands are freezing and I can no longer get gloves on my left hand. Unfortunately, when my hands are icy, they become useless - or more useless than they are already! Can’t seem to find mittens in the shops.
    The other problem is that my left hand, not really the fingers, is swelling. My knuckles on that hand, or what you can see of them, are purple.
    I’m trying to keep my arm raised when possible.

Bern x

Hi Bern;

When my hands are cold, they become useless - or more useless than they are already, too. You can get sheepskin mittens on Ebay etc. But I even have trouble getting them on so I bought some cheep hand muffs from Ebay and turn them inside out. You could sow up the end, (I know that both of us would find sowing almost impossible). I sometimes use one or two outside and the open ended one can go over my wheelchair control as well.

If you search ebay for:- Rabbit Faux Fur Muff Hand Fluffy

Other than that you could get some heated things or a hot bag and cover. Massaging and putting in hot water is always nice.

I have never had swollen fingers and hands.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry. The muff sounds the sensible solution. I did try a sheepskin type mitten and I couldn't get my hand in it. I'll take a look online.
    Bern x

Hi Bern;

I bought two different colours for 3.79 each. my wife wanted one to ware on her lower legs, (My wife is strange??). I then ordered two more so I had two if I wanted. A MS lady from the town scooter loan place wanted some so i got her two.

You can get thicker more expensive ones there as well.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry,

Sounds like you could have your own business - warm hands for MND patients!
    By the way, I couldn't sew to save my life!

Bern x

Forum Member
    My physio has warned me about the shortening of the tendons and has recommended some exercises for me to do strengthen my wrist which help. I experience severe curling and pain when I attempt certain tasks like holding a knife and cutting. I have to uncurl my fingers manually before the pain stopsI suggest you ask about some physio to see if that helps.

I also find when I am cold my hands stop working which makes opening the front door difficult sometimes. There are a lot of thermal material gloves about which I intend buying as the Winter is coming. This material is warm but thin so hopefully will not be too restrictive.
    Last edited by Annb; 6th October 2017 at 08:40.

Both my hands are like claws now I was given some splinter to wear at night too they are straight for a short time when taken off but quickly curl up again. I also find massage eases the discomfort