Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Nursing home/Power of Attorney

  1. #1

    Question Nursing home/Power of Attorney

    My mum (51 years old) has been living with primary lateral sclerosis for approximately 18 months (although having only been diagnosed in February).

    Despite what her neurologist says, my mum's condition seems to have deteriorated significantly and as a result it appears that my mum will need to go into a nursing home.

    I have contacted social services, our local community as awell as our MNDA local officer (who is away for another week). None of the people that I have spoken to have been able to give me direct answers to my questions, so I am hoping someone here is able to answer me.

    Currently, at home, is my mum and her partner [not married], my brother (22) and myself (24). The home is owned 50/50 by the two of them with a small mortgage outstanding.

    Now, what I would like to ascertain is the following:
    1. are social services able to force us to sell the house to pay for mums care? If not, how does the carehome get paid? (I am guessing that they can't force us to sell and they will just put a charge on the house. If this is so, will they be entitled to 50% of the equity now or when the house is sold in the future - i.e. when the value has increased?)

    2. what is the process like? The social worker is coming on Monday to do an assessment - after that is it as simple as picking a home and going in? Is this a process that takes weeks or months?

    3. it would seem obvious that I should get power of attorney for my mother, however, should i do this myself (I think I am very capable), but I have read that this can take 6 weeks - what happens in the meantime? Or should I get a solicitor to do it? Will this cost much?

    4. my mum has no income (apart from the disability living allowance) - how will she buy things such as clothes? Can we take money from the capital element of her half of the home? Does she still get the DLA whilst in a home?

    Any other hints or tips would be appreciated. Particularly minimising the amount of money that social services get to keep. Could we argue that as her sons, we should be entitled to proceeds from the house?

    Thank you for all your help in advance (apologies if I have gone a bit overkill!) I look forward to hearing from you all.


  2. #2
    Hi Joel,

    Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about a lengthy post - I'm sure the forum community will be able to help you with a lot of answers and advice.

    I'd strongly suggest giving our MND Connect team a call. They can provide you with the information and answers to all of the above questions, in detail and in your own time.

    Connect is available on 08457 626262 or you can drop them an e-mail at The helpline is available 9am to 5pm and 7pm to 10.30pm Mondays to Fridays with calls charged at local rate.

    I hope this helps!

    Best wishes,


  3. #3
    Forum Member Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Hi Joel;
    WHAT a lot of questions, can’t answer many.
    Power of Attorney; We are doing it at the moment for a relative using a
    solicitor. Additional cost in the region of 400 plus doctors costs of around
    If you can go through it yourselves I would, the help and advisory information
    seem good. You have to be meticulous with the paper work otherwise there
    will be delays and extra costs.
    Nursing home; Before you mum permanently resides in one ask about the
    twelve week rule. This entitles her to twelve free weeks even if she has
    means to pay.
    Regards, Terry

  4. #4
    Hi Joel, listen to iplayer Money Box on Radio 4 - today'sprogramme was all about power of attorney and suchlike, hope this will help you
    XXXXDebbie XXXXX

  5. #5
    Thank you all for your help - any further information or tips would be much appreciated. I will contact MNDA Connect tomorrow on my lunch break at work.

    Kind regards


  6. #6

    For financial power of attorney. I approached my solicitor. I then designated a local financial advisor to be my power of attorney financial. My solicitor set up the necessary legal documents. Cost 500 pounds. Now my power of attorney/financial advisor deals with all my finances: social security benefits, mortgages, claims on pensions and insurances, bank accounts, how best to deal with my money. It has been a very good decision to have a financial advisor on my side. He will cost me, so far after five months nothing. The understanding on all sides is that when I have gone (being practical) necessary payments come out of my estate. I hope this helps somehow. Dealing with money is what financial advisors do. Im lucky to have found one that is good.

    Best wishes


  7. #7
    Thanks Carol.

    I am actually an accountant (despite my lack of knowledge in respect of the above) - so I will be my mother's power of attorney. Going to give the form a shot myself.


  8. #8
    Hi Joel,
    Welcome to the forum and sorry about your situation.
    You may be eligible ( or rather your mum may) regarding nursing home costs. Social services mean test support so if your mum has no savings and no income other than dla she will probably be funded by them. Another possible finder is the NHs who provide all the costs of care for people unable to look after themselves because of ill health. Unfortunately that is not as black and white as it sounds. Health needs have to be distinguished from personal care they will not pick up the bill for every failing elderly person but will where ill health is the reason. There is a process of assessment which is started initially by the NHs individual responsible for your mum's long term care. Usually someone at your doctors surgery or local clinic.
    The NHs argue against support but there is an appeal procedure. If you look on the Internet you will find helpful info. If she is eligible for social services support you then get a powerful ally because they then will join you in trying to pass the cost onto the NHs from themselves. In my wife's case we arranged all the care and they paid the bills but it did take 7 months of argument to get them to take on their responsibility.


  9. #9
    Hi again. The NHs support is called NHs continuing healthcare. Your mum needs to be under retirement age I think but given you and your brothers ages that is probably the case.


    Ps ignore the age limit bit which is rubbish.
    Last edited by john; 14th June 2013 at 20:24.

  10. #10

    Thank you for the information. I spoke to MNDA Connect this morning who said the same thing. Going on my mums current condition, he feels that my mum would qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare.

    She's only 51 (so well away from retirement age). However, referring to your income comment, although she has no income/savings, she currently owns 50% of the equity in a house - so essentially, they would take that (should it go down the social services route).

    Thank you for your insight, I think it will prove to be extremely useful in the near future.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts