Thread: Rumblings from the respiratory ward

Forum Member

Rumblings from the respiratory ward

I write this at 01:18 hours sat next to my dad, who god bless him is trying so hard to sleep. It all started with a cough, a cough which was trying its hardest not to leave my dads Chest, like a child hanging on to their parents on their first day at primary school. My dad as he is was trying his hardest to get rid of ths unwelcome stranger. The only thing he is attached to is my mum and his kids.

Like many fellow sufferers they didnt choose to be acquainted with this horrible disease, trust me their are better things I would like to attach myself to, (steady this is a respectable forum). My father who the docs tell me is very poorly, 10/10 for observance is lying here desperately trying to sleep after beng pumped with oramorph, saline, anti b coughs assist and the suction machine. I sit here writing this which can only be described as a cure for insomnia, listening to some fantastic beats from the bed opposite. I'm thinking that guy has really fine tuned his bipap noise together with his snoring, giving off the occasional trumps, I'm playing name that tune. Oh wait a minute some commotion with my dads next door neighbour, " I want me tea" in a northern accent. "I'm sorry sir, but it's 01:45 I can offer you some toast" in a South Indian accent, I'm assuming they are South Indian, oh well adds a bit of culture to the story. " I'm nt taking my insulin" says Mr Northener,"and tell them next door to close that window". At which poit I politely shout, can one shout politely?,well I did," it would help if u put some clothes on" oh P Off you P(;ki shouts the northerner." Indian, you horrible man", well I didn't actually say the horrible man bit. I'm trying to keep this forum clean, which is more than I can say for Mr Northerner.
    " yes she's coming", ive called the nurse for you" Bed X has mistaken me for the nursewala, maybe I should remind him the days of the Raj are over.

I can finally here my dad snoring which was a sound for sore ears, I look out the window and gaze into the distant and see suburban XXXX, feeling envious as they are tucked up in their silent night and tempur, whilst I'm sat here next to my dad, clinging on to his arm like that child on his first day of school. I don't want to let you go dad!
    Last edited by Claire McArthur; 1st July 2013 at 10:56. Reason: Privacy

I dislike purple prose but it seems you found that cathartic to write. It can make the reader feel manipulated., especially for those who have sat through their parents death from mnd. I hope your dad feels better soon, though

Hi Shiraz,

My prayers for your beloved Dad and yourself,I know how you feel went through the same experience with my
    Mum,eventually was able to get mum transferred to a 1 person room for peace and dignity.hoping your dad
    can get rest and feel comfortable.

Best wishes.

Roy.
    Good as it gets :-)

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    Hi Shiraz,

My prayers for your beloved Dad and yourself,I know how you feel went through the same experience with my
    Mum,eventually was able to get mum transferred to a 1 person room for peace and dignity.hoping your dad
    can get rest and feel comfortable.

Best wishes.

Roy.
    Thanks Roy,

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    I dislike purple prose but it seems you found that cathartic to write. It can make the reader feel manipulated., especially for those who have sat through their parents death from mnd. I hope your dad feels better soon, though
    Lolly, I wasn't aware my rumblings would be so critically evaluated. I certainly did not write this to make the reader feel manipulated nor was I looking for pity as for fear, yes I fear looking into the future, surely that's natural right?.

I thought this forum was to offload and that's exactly what I did.

Shiraz

Forum Member
    Salam shiraz. its sad to hear about your dad. i can only say hang in there and be strong. to lose someone to any illness, especially a cruel and torturous one as MND is awful. i hope ur dad gets stable . i can remember every moment with my beloved mum, the highs and lows; but to be honest we were all frightened along the way. what each day would bring and of course how the future would be. we are human. we all have emotions and its OK to show them too. noor

Shiraz
    Hi there - we all feel for you and your dad
    The picture you portrayed in the ward was both graphic and down beat but also with a bit of humour - the latter which I like.
    We all need a multitude of skills to deal with this illness - planning ahead, adapting, organisation, learning, sharing , communication and not forgetting the gift of humour and laughter.

Take care and I hope dad is more comfortable now

Rory
    New Year's resolution -not to get MND again !