Thread: Hi, can you help me test a new device (East Mids)

Forum Member

Hi, can you help me test a new device (East Mids)

Hi all
    Iím Graham I am not a suffer of MND but as volunteer Remap engineer (www.remapleics.org.uk) I have assisted many suffers over the years with assistive aids. Asides from my Remap work, as a hobby I have been researching technology to help people with severe disabilities use computers.

I am walking a tightrope here as this is not meant as advertÖ honest Mr Admin

I am seeking volunteers in the UK East Midlands to help me with the finishing stages of development of a new breath operated assistive aid to help those with limited or no arm control or indeed good head control to use their PC or Mac.

The device itself has completed development and I am close to small scale manufacture but I could do with a final shakedown of the early production units to check for any snags with documentation/ training material etc.

No need to buy the device it would be on a trial & test basis only & primarily to assist me

I have set up a small website for the device at www.celticmagic.org

If you can help me drop me a line at graham@celticmagic.org .

Or if you know of a better way or group to locate suitable persons please let me know, thanks.

Graham
    Graham Law

Hi Graham;
    I have down loaded camera mouse from your web site and found it quite interesting, it runs quite well with Jaybee ( a talking app) on my laptop. Camera mouse runs a very similar program to eye glaze, and it works nearly as well. Not sure if it's reliable enough as I have to keep refocusing it. If my head was resting it might be better.
    I have used a suck/blow switch at my hospice, as a simple single switch to control things in the room like curtains, windows, bed and TV. I, maybe like most of us dribble and have a bit of trouble controlling breathing. It sound silly but the automatic things don't work well and it takes a lot of concentration to control my breathing.
    My hands still work but I have been looking into different switch talking devices for other people and my hospice.
    Thanks for your info and good luck with your venture.
    Regards Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 15th August 2013 at 22:16.

Hi Graham;
    I love the things that you are doing for people and please commend all of the people at Remap for volunteering their help.
    Just as well for you that I am not closer as I always have ideas on how to improve things or make things better for me. I tend to run a bit hot so I had the idea of blowing air through the seat and back of my wheelchair. I then found car cooling seat covers from maplin which I tried. I found that these did not work at all as when you sat on it it blocked the airways. I think it needs a higher pressure pump but this may well bring other problems such as moisture.
    Great stuff, regards Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 15th August 2013 at 22:24.

Forum Member

Mouth pressure control for HAPP100

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Graham;
    I have down loaded camera mouse from your web site and found it quite interesting, it runs quite well with Jaybee ( a talking app) on my laptop. Camera mouse runs a very similar program to eye glaze, and it works nearly as well. Not sure if it's reliable enough as I have to keep refocusing it. If my head was resting it might be better.
    I have used a suck/blow switch at my hospice, as a simple single switch to control things in the room like curtains, windows, bed and TV. I, maybe like most of us dribble and have a bit of trouble controlling breathing. It sound silly but the automatic things don't work well and it takes a lot of concentration to control my breathing.
    My hands still work but I have been looking into different switch talking devices for other people and my hospice.
    Thanks for your info and good luck with your venture.
    Regards Terry
    I would be interested to try a user with a HAPP with poor breath control due mnd as the first development user was a girl with a spinal tumour and trachi ventilation, Ie no real control of her breathing at all. But surprisingly (to me), as she could control her cheeks she had no trouble producing the pressure variations required by her HAPP prototype. But she was able close her lips well to seal the control tube and that could be the biggest remaining issues with severe mnd.

This discussion should be else where perhaps not in this Intro section... ?Mr Admin please advise?

Graham

Forum Member
    Hi Graham,

I have moved this thread to the Equipment thread.

Best wishes,

Andrew