Thread: my friend diagnosed with als

Forum Member

my friend diagnosed with als

Hi all,
    My friend, 33 years has been diagnosed with als this year in jan. We are from India. I just came to know about it gew days back as he hid it from me. I am now too scared what future holds for him. In an act of desperation I rang a friend of mine who is in USA to talk to doctors there and sent him reports. Now he told told me two things which I wanted to ask u all about.
    1. The doctor said the symtoms could also be caused by lung cancer due to smoking. And tht we should get it checked. Any advice on it.
    2. That its curable by stem cell therapy. I have heard that some Dr Alok is doing it in Mumbai, india. Its an expensive procedure. Shall we go for it. Doea it cure als?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi Dheeraj,
    As ever sorry you need to be here.
    I have no medical knowledge and suggest you e mail or ring the mnda connect team who have contact information above.
    I have never heard the illness compared to lung cancer. On the question of stem cells then there are ongoing trials by Brainstorm who are based in Israel and Neuralstem who are based in the USA. Both report just one success each. They are doing clinical trials to gain permission to use their procedures but it may take some time for final approval.
    I have not heard of the India company but there is no reason why I should. If they have a website it should contain information about people successfully treated. I would try and check that out and if possible speak to people they have treated. No guarantee that it won't be bogus but unless the industry is regulated in your country you will have to research as much as possible and take a judgement based on what you find out.

John

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dheeraj View Post
    Hi all,
    My friend, 33 years has been diagnosed with als this year in jan. We are from India. I just came to know about it gew days back as he hid it from me. I am now too scared what future holds for him. In an act of desperation I rang a friend of mine who is in USA to talk to doctors there and sent him reports. Now he told told me two things which I wanted to ask u all about.
    1. The doctor said the symtoms could also be caused by lung cancer due to smoking. And tht we should get it checked. Any advice on it.
    2. That its curable by stem cell therapy. I have heard that some Dr Alok is doing it in Mumbai, india. Its an expensive procedure. Shall we go for it. Doea it cure als?
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi Dheeraj,

I am very sorry to hear this. I would suggest following this link to the Motor Neurone Disease Association of India:

http://www.alsmndalliance.org/directory/india.html

Alternatively, please feel free to contact our MND Connect helpline service here in England for some basic guidance and support. You can do this by e-mailing mndconnect@mndassociation.org.

Our website, www.mndassociation.org is also a good source of information, including this guide 'Living with MND:'

http://www.mndassociation.org/Resour...rmal%20pdf.pdf

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Andrew

Forum Member
    Thnx Andrew and John.