Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surgery

Forum Member

Red face surgery

I tore a cartilage in my knee three years ago (Misdiagnosed until earlier this year) and have since developed drop foot. For the last eighteen months I have been undergoing tests for a neurological problem so the surgeon would not operate. Now a diagnosis of MND has been given and I wondered if anyone with MND has had surgery? The fact that I have mobility problems due to the torn cartilage and drop foot just adds to the difficulties I am encountering with MND. Any advice would be welcome or any ideas of who I could approach for more information would be great. Thanks

Hi Josie, sorry to hear of your knee problems. I haven't had surgery recently but can relate to problems between physical injury and MND symptoms. Several years ago I had a bad vehicle accident that shattered my left arm shoulder joint and dislocated my clavicle so that my left shoulder is now shorter than my right by a few inches. I've had pains in it for years. When my left hand started to get weak I put it down to the injury for months and months. It's only when my right hand started to go the same then my legs, did we realise it was MND. Who knows if the injury started it? Or maybe the MND homed in on my weakest point? Or maybe it's all coincidence. Wish I knew better! Whatever I have now got MND. I did have major surgery three years ago and heart surgery ten years ago. Carol
    Last edited by Laila; 15th September 2013 at 09:08.

Forum Member
    Hi Josie. Peter, my husband, has not had surgery but he has been given a two piece splint that corrects his foot drop. This foot drop is due to the deterioration of muscles and part of MND. He did have a 'procedure' to insert a PEG. This needed sedation rather than anaesthetic. The viability for this was largely dependant on his breathing.

Magic

I'm due to have a knee replacement in January but I now feel I should postpone the op as i don't want to waste any of my time in recovery whilst I can still walk. Any thoughts would be helpful?

I have twitching and cramps in my calfs and I've no idea when I may have to go in a chair as no one can give me a time frame. I'll ask for a steroid injection to help with constant pain I have in the mean time.

Hi Dean;
    It depends on how much pain the knee is. Pain for me sometimes overtakes everything and makes me nearly fall but I think that you were right in cancelling the op.
    Try to get a wheelchair as soon as possible from your local wheelchair service. Get a referral from OT. It is handy even if you only need it for a short while if you get a problem.
    Best wishes, Terry

Hi Dean
    Welcome to the forum, and regarding the knee op, maybe it's better to ask your neurologist views and the doctor in charge of your surgery for their views ,I can understand your concerns ,but with added pain from your knee, that's something you don't need or want ,I agree with Terry regarding to get the wheelchair started as early as you can like Terry said you don't have to use it, but it's handy to have just in case ,as you will find out nothing happens with any sort of urgency when it comes down to getting things you need , as for time frames ,well that's the biggy ,no one knows ,and the statistics are just guidelines each and everyone of us are different . Whatever you choose good luck .

Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Hi Josie
    My husband has had surgery with MND he had a hernia operation, after speaking to the neurologist who said it all depends on how much pain you are in as an individual and what quality of pain free it will give after. He got tested by a aneasitist to see if he was up to the op and he monitored him very closely throughout, that was really only their main concern. Everything went well, whereas now he wouldn't be able to have it due to being on a ventilator as even a dentist won't take a tooth out due to breathing difficulties. Ang

Hi Josie,

I had surgery while the endless testing and searching for reasons as to why my speech was slurring , at no time was it mentioned that surgery would be not undertaken ,in my case it was found that the left carotid was partially blocked and having the MRI just before highlighted a brain haemorrhage ,so the risks were judged to be that surgery would be the better option in my case ,but the results of that intervention lead to the artery becoming totally blocked ,the saving grace was that no clots could pass upwards , causing more problems . So my diagnosis of having MND shortly before wasnt seen as a good enough reason not to have surgery , in this type of situation you tend to have no alternative than to trust in the medical profession and abide with their advice .

Regards
    Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Both my neurologist and my knee consultant said I should go ahead with the op(it will be my 18th knee op on both knees altogether) I had a steroid injection yesterday and my GP said I should not rule it out as I may regret not having it done. I'll wait until January before i decide what to do depending on the amount of pain. I want to carry on walking for as long as possible and having the op may speed up my chances of going in the chair. As if I don't have enough to think about, this is hurting my head

Update

I had a knee replacement oct 13 and wouldn't recommend having that type of op with MND

I could not do the physio required and my muscles have never recovered and i believe the weakness in my legs have put me a chair quicker than i should off

ITS a doubled edge sword as i no longer have the constant pain i did have but it effected my walking more

I'M sure without the op i would be walking still

My advice dose up on painkillers

Dean