Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal Independence Payment issues

I don't see why the 6 months bit for MND comes into play....there isn't a cure so the timescale is irrelevant! I still haven't applied for Attendance Allowance for Dad because our GP wouldn't do the DS1500.....I couldn't face going through all those questions with him and highlighting to him what he had to look forward to. It's all here now so I might just as well do the form I suppose.

Forum Member
    Think my HP took the stance that it was outside the reals of possibility that Peter could die within 6 months. Just makes me ill that people with MND and who are to .likely to draw their pensioner long, are not automatically granted PIP Nd all geothermal benefits.
    Magic

Hi there, I enquired about PIP at the end of May and had a face to face assessment in June and was diagnosed in August,the Consult in June was to see what tasks I was capable of doing and was told it had nothing to do any illness I had but purely based on capability and then she asked for me to inform Works and Pensions of the results of the Diagnosis so one hand it did not matter what your disease was and then on the other hand it did,I finally got my first enhanced payment beginning of Nov with backpay from June,you have to receive PIP before claiming Carers Allowance and you have to get Top Rate of PIP before you can have Motability Allowance.

rustygates

thanks folks ...

After almost 6 months - from 4th August last year I have finally been awarded PIP at the enhanced rate - I do not need the mobility component , at the moment.

The silly thing is after I completed the lengthy form in late August 2013 I have deteriorated to the point that I can no longer talk well. I rang them 2 weeks ago and they could not understand me - not my fault - so I passed the call over to my husband.

So don't give up . The other odd thing is that it ends in June 2015 - do they expect me to be fit for work then????

Let's hope that you are in full time employment before then.

I applied in Oct, still nothing.

Forum Member
    Oh dear - my doctor would not issue the DS1500 because after talking to the MND clinic he had no reason to think I have less than 6 months to live. I applied in November, they sent me the forms on 19th Dec - arrived with me 4th January and I returned them 13th January. I need the mobility and attendance payments as (late diagnosis) I am already unable to walk and have carers coming in every morning.

I am still working but have to rely on goodwill from work colleagues to haul me out of my house. (I am still able to transfer, with a bit of effort, from my manual wheelchair into the car.) I have a fantastic power chair but can't get it out of the house yet (trying to find the money to get a level-entry front door) but when I can, we will need to get a WAV and we can't do that without PIP mobility payments.

I need the attendance payments so I can pay for carers to get me up, washed and dressed and soon to get me back into bed at night.

I think I will have to call the PIP people on Monday and see how my application is progressing - then perhaps a call the the MND clinic to get the DS1500!
    Tessa

Do not dwell on the things you cannot change, instead put your energy into those you can!

The DS1500 form makes all the difference. My Dad's GP wouldn't do it back in June when I asked. Then last month the palliative care consultant agreed to do one so I finally bothered to apply for attendance allowance. They received the application on 14 January and we got the first payment less than 2 weeks later.

If you can get someone else to do the DS1500 form do, ask your hospice consultant if you have one, or your neurologist. GPs rarely do them as most of them are idiots that think there job is simply to write prescriptions and make referrals!

Forum Member
    The hospice organised the ds1500 for me. I had already submitted the pip form, Our contact asked if anyone had submitted a ds1500, we said we had never heard of it, so she arranged it.

I was expecting a fight to get what we needed but was awarded enhanced personal and mobility components without further trouble.

TJ-ASG, social services should be able to put a ramp over your threshold for you - if you live long enough. We've been waiting a couple of months and have got about 4 different people badgering them to speed up. But might help you out until you can alter the access, or do a good enough job to use your savings for something more interesting.

Caroline