Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobility - Useful links

Mobility - Useful links

I have just been directed to some useful websites, which I thought I would pass on to those who don't already know them:

http://www.mobilise.info/category/magazine/dmuk-mag/

This is the link to Disabled Motoring UK who produce a magazine with lots of helpful info. I have just joined for a 20 annual subscription.

On their website I found a bulletin board with adverts for disabled holiday accommodation.

Also they directed me to http://www.ricability.org.uk

I notice that this organisation have carried out an survey on lots of makes of electric wheelchairs and scooters - so useful reference for anyone looking to buy one.

I have also just ordered the Rough Guide to Accessible Britain from Amazon - only cost 1p!!! Will let you know if it is any good.

peterpan
    I do think the MNDA could compile a list of suitable accommodation from members,as so many places I visit claim to have access for people in wheelchairs, but there are steps and it becomes very difficult. I still try to get away with my wife although I am now wheelchair bound and have very limited mobility.A list of accommodation and restaurants used previously by MND sufferers would provide a good start when trying to plan a break.
    Peterpan

Forum Member
    Thanks, you folks, this is really positive stuff. Maybe we should start a thread 'Recommended By . . .' for people to give comments, good and bad (if necessary, but not slanderous!!) on restaurants, theatres, cinemas, hotels, resorts etc., where they've had memorable, (hopefully good) experiences.

That would keep a list of good venues all in one place on the forum instead of information being missed because it's not easy to find.

What do you think?!

Mike.

Robin142857
    I think peterpan's suggestion of a list of a list of suitable accommodation is very good. There are other lists published, but they are usually compiled from what the proprietors say in written returns. This list would be acurate as regards ease of access from observation and use and that would be something not easily available elsewhere. Mike FD - I'm not so keen on extending the ratings system for other aspects of performance, if that is what you are proposing (there vare two ways of reading what you say).

Robin

Forum Member
    No, I didn't mean to imply there should be any kind of rating system, just a single thread where people could pass on first hand information where they've found easy access to facilities, good service etc., etc.

Mike.

Recommended by ...

Starting an information thread on places to stay, restaurants, resorts, theatres etc is a really great idea, especially if it makes it easy to find and refer back to. I think that people's opinions on places is quite subjective as we all know from using websites like Trip Advisor, but nevertheless there are certain essential factors such as 'accessibility', 'suitability for MND sufferers', and the quality of experience in terms of welcome/feel good factor that I think would be invaluable for people planning trips and visits.

Rob and I went to Paris for a day out (as an example) and whilst the Eurostar experience was superb, I could say a lot of disparaging things about disabled access in Paris and suitability for MND sufferers which might be helpful for anyone planning to do this.

Susie

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFD View Post
    Thanks, you folks, this is really positive stuff. Maybe we should start a thread 'Recommended By . . .' for people to give comments, good and bad (if necessary, but not slanderous!!) on restaurants, theatres, cinemas, hotels, resorts etc., where they've had memorable, (hopefully good) experiences.

That would keep a list of good venues all in one place on the forum instead of information being missed because it's not easy to find.

What do you think?!

Mike.

Forum Member
    Hi
    Has anyone been on a cruise? People have recommended them and say the disabled facilities are excellent. Wondered if anyone had actually been and what the cabin facilities, boarding etc are really like?

Thanks

Sally

Cruising

Cruising has been brilliant for us. Since my diagnosis 12 months ago Susie and I have been twice. Once in the Med and once Caribbean. Both times a huge success. Previously we never thought we were cruise people but now we're addicted. Both times we went with Celebrity cruises who are fairly upmarket although we got reasonable prices. I'd call the boats adult as there were hardly any childrens facilities, hence hardly any children.
    Celebrity make it all so easy. I use my small electric scooter and wizz through the airports and they meet you at baggage reclaim and you next see your cases in your cabin. I use the scooter on the boat ( no hills! ) and have access to everything. When I tire it's easy to nip back to your cabin. Sue can have some freedom to wander off on her own knowing I'm safe and not going far.
    On shore trips are optional and when ashore you can come back on board any time you wish. I like it so much on the boat that I'd happily cruise any time even not going ashore at all.
    I realise this sounds like a ad for cruising but it has proven to be so good for us compared to other types of holidays we have tried since my diagnosis.
    Rob

Forum Member
    Hi Rob
    We always said cruising wouldn't be for us but as I would have difficulty flying now we thought cruising would be a good option. When you went did you have a disabled cabin, if so what facilities were there?

Thanks

Sally

drose
    This is really a nice thread. Thanks for posting. The web sites posted above gives me a huge help and i am sure others also. Great job! Keep it up! Hope to read more posts like this one.