Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation & Days Out: Recommendations...

Forum Moderator

Accommodation & Days Out: Recommendations...

This thread is to give members the opportunity to let others know about the positive experiences they have had when, for example, going to the theatre, out with the family, using hotel or guest house accommodation, holiday resorts, restaurants etc., etc.

In fact anywhere that offers good access to wheelchair users and people with disabilities, together with high standards of service. This is for first-hand experiences by forum members only, and use for self-promotion by facility owners or proprietors will not be permitted.

As for any other section of the forum, opinions expressed within posts are those of the writer and are not recommendations offered by the MND Association or its associate companies.

Excellent B&B in Devon

Last week we discovered an Excellent B&B for wheel chair users in Devon, between Exeter and Sidmouth. We stayed there for four days and can thoroughly reccomend it.

The house is a large single story building, only six years old, owned by a couple who previously owned a nursing home. There are just three rooms for guests and one of these is purpose built for the disabled, including wheel chair users. There is the option to have a double bed or two single beds when you book. The room is large, with wide doors and plenty of room around the beds for the wheelchair. The bathroom is a full wet room with the best shower I have ever used. This is thermostatically controlled and has adjustable flow. A sturdy shower seat is wall mounted and there are grab rails. The toilet is a good height and also has a frame to assist getting on and off and there is a perching stool for the hand basin. There is plenty of room for transfers in the bathroom.

The breakfasts are fantastic. You select what time you would like to eat and choose from a very extensive menu the night before and everything is freshly prepared from high quality ingredients the next morning. You can eat in the dining room, conservatory or the garden.

The owners, David and Rosemary, are extremely friendly and helpful and make you feel completely at home and one can stay all day at the house if you feel like it. Rosemary is a retired nurse and has experience of MND.

The B&B is at Newton Poppleford, a quite devonshire village close to Sidmouth and several good beaches and a short distance from Exeter. http://www.brookfieldsbandb.co.uk/

Clive
    Living with MND. There is a solution to every problem - never ever give up.

Jacqui Priestley
    London Theatre trip

I was amazed how easy it was to travel from Bournemouth to London to see a show. We notified Brtish Rail of our travel in advance so there were ramps available to get into the train each end. We then took a black cab to the Theatre (Apollo Victoria) - they all have ramp access for manual wheelchairs but perhaps not enough height for all powered wheelchairs. At the theatre I was treated like royalty, with someone on hand at all times to help negotiate various wheelchair stair lifts/get to disabled loo.

Thanks Clive for B&B details.
    Last edited by Jacqui Priestley; 30th April 2011 at 09:13.

Eurostar

If you fancy a ride on Eurostar, there are special rates available for wheelchair users and their companions and you can book a seat at the reduced rate on the next available train. They have a special area on the train for users with their own wheelchair which is in Business Premier (first class) and entitles you to a free meal and wine, and to use the business lounge at St Pancras (free breakfast, drinks and magazines) and is extremely civilised. The staff were very helpful and provided a ramp up into the carriage and when I found that I was not strong enough to push my husband up the ramp they pushed him on for me. It was so much more comfortable and quiet compared to air travel, I can highly recommend it.

We booked special assistance to help get the wheelchair onto the train at our local suburban station (Welwyn Garden City) and I am sorry to say that nobody turned up to help us either on the way out or the way back. Luckily we had a manual chair and Rob could manage the step up onto the train or our day out would have stalled at the first hurdle!

I would not recommend Paris for novice wheelchair users (like us) unless you have booked a disabled taxi to somewhere very specific. We had a few hairy moments due to lack of drop curbs and old cobbled streets etc and we found it rather stressful. Don't let this stop you going on Eurostar though, it was fabulous.

tjacks55

Thumbs up

Well regarding Theatres access with Wheelchair, because of the age of these buildings they had to elaborate disabled access facilities in order to be in conformity with the laws. Nowadays most of London venues have disabled access ramps or staff members who are dedicated to make your Theatre trip a real pleasure...You can find more infor mation about Disabled access on that Website London Theatre Disabled Access

I found this site which has a link to holidays

http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/living/holidays

John
    http://www.jaded-john.net

First onset Oct 2009, Dx'ed Oct 2010 at the age of 42

Forum Member
    i found this one while browsing .... looks ok with good variety of locations

http://www.disabledholidaydirectory.co.uk/#

Forum Member
    I can recommend the National Theatre in London for easy wheelchair access and a relaxing stress free experience. You can park free in the disabled parking bays in the underground car park and there is a ramp with automatic doors to the lifts which take you wherever you need to go. The Terrace Bar and Restaurant is totally accessible and the staff very helpful and friendly. It almost makes life feel normal again to enjoy a glass of wine and excellent tapas style food in the Terrace Bar with a view of the river too. We often go there even if the play is not that great because the whole experience is so good and we come home feeling there is pleasure to be had after all! Also the theatre tickets are half price for disabled person and companion so cost about 12 - 15 - a fraction of West End theatre tickets.

Holidays are no longer an easy option as there is so much equipment to take, including a ventilator which my husband needs to breathe at night, but I live in hope that we might find somewhere. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Olivia

Hi there

I have debentures at Wembley Stadium and have been going the last 7 years.
    Only this year I had to travel at all times by wheelchair as my legs have retired hurt !
    The facilities there , parking, lifts , special view points for wheelchair users and carers and the staff make it all worth while .

Rory
    New Year's resolution -not to get MND again !

Forum Member
    Had a weekend break at Cae Mor Hotel in Llandudno, North Wales, they have designated disabled parking, a ramp into the hotel, two ground floor bedrooms with wet rooms with a shower stool and raised toilet seat, pretty good for a building that was built for visitors in the Victorian age.