Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation & Days Out: Recommendations...

Hi Cath,
    Glad you found a place that met with the needs ,its a nice change to hear of something thats good for once, we are off to Anglesey end of the month in a Cottage thats supposed to be much the same in as its suitable disabled access, You didn't mention the weather or if you enjoyed it ?

Regards
    Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Hi Pete

It was the weekend of 19th July so the weather was spot on, a bit cloudy on the Sunday but still nice and warm. We had a nice weekend and Mic's daughter, her partner and their little boy came to meet up with us on the Sunday so it was along the prom and the pier so Archie could 'hook a duck' and win a one eyed minion (didn't mean much to me I must confess - apparently from Despicable Me 2) then off for a meal in the Cottage Loaf (wheelchair accessible via the back door) and later when they headed off for home we sneaked off to the Palladium (Wetherspoons) and then The Albert for a couple of cheeky drinkies (both wheelchair accessible and suitable toilet facilities). Enjoy your holiday. Cath

Hi Pete and Cath,

Off to Blackpool for 5days next week will let you know how I get on.
    Glad to hear you had a good break Cath and Pete and Lynne have a good
    time in Wales,seem to remember a great beech close to where you will be
    Black sands near Bangor.

Roy.
    Good as it gets :-)

Forum Member
    Not a recommendation of where to go but a recommendation of how to find suitable places or how to check on a particular place.
    Have a look at http://www.disabledgo.com/ they have a lot of very detailed information about a venue. There are many sites which perform a similar service but theirs is the most detailed.

Arthur
    Smile they said "Life could be Worse", so I did and it was

Forum Member
    We have just had a very good holiday in Javea, Spain. Going from Gatwick, by BA to Alicante. The help going out was very good at both airports but coming home Alicante was pretty good but Gatwick was not good as my wife had to push me in my wheelchair. The cases were carried with people on the disabled car but couldn't take us, the driver was helpful in guiding us to immigration and to the exit. So a complaint to Gatwick will be sent.

We stayed in the Javea Parador where the staff were very helpful, giving us a bathroom with a shower but only a low 3 legged stool which I fell from but only once. I love Spain and would love to go back however they need to review and improve disabled care. Thankfully we were helped by many friends, out there and got around on a hired scooter or the wheelchair. I am going to email the Parador head office and explain the difficulties experienced.

Forum Member
    www.disabledholidaydirectory.co.uk looks to be very comprehensive in its descriptions.

Forum Member
    This thread hasn't been used for a while but it seems the best place for my recommendation. We recently had to stay overnight in Haverfordwest in Wales. The Premier Inn there was checked by a friend before we booked. Our room was huge, plenty of room for a wheelchair, twin beds raised on blocks. Wet room was huge and has numerous grab bars strategically placed. Because I have a profile bed at home, I found it difficult to get comfortable but that can happen in any strange bed anyway. Staff very friendly. It was a relief to find somewhere so suitable and cheap too!

Forum Member
    The NT centre at Tarn How's has 3 off road wheel chairs for people with mobility problems to go a round the lake. Forest of Bowland has also got some off road wheel chairs and route maps. Not tried the Forest of Bowland yet.

We've just booked a break away through cottages. Com. We have booked
    Lower Millcombe Barns - Snowdrop
    Linkinhorne, near Callington, Cornwall. Has anyone else been there? Has good reviews from people in wheelchairs.

Hi Pink, it's not easy is it finding a place for us to stay these days?
    I'm going to Devon tomorrow with all my family, that's 2 dogs, 3 little ones and 8adults! It's going to be chaos but lots of fun too.
    We've booked a house with an accessible wet room.

The owner has a disabled son and has assured me that I will have no problems getting around. I'll certainly have lots of help and strong young men to pick me up!
    I still find it scary though, not a short drive from Nottingham so will need a comfort break. im sure it will be worth it and we can make lots of happy memories.

I'll post a review of the house on my return.
    I hope you have a great holiday and it all works for you.

Take care x