Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gene Testing

Forum Member
    Finally got my gene test results fòr c9orf72. As expected it was negative.

I will now enquire for my next gene test. Why I must persistently ask for specific gene tests is frustrating.

I now know one gene therapy is inappropriate for me, leaving the path open for others to enter phase 1 trials for gene therapy.

Graham,

Have you got SOD 1 test results if there is such a thing because although it occurs with familial ALS it also occurs in others with mnd and is a likely candidate for therapy very soon.(by research standards very soon is not quite our everyday definition)

John

Forum Member
    Hi John,

Yes, I will ask for SOD1 gene test next. I'm pretty sure I have a gene thing going on, but not classical MND genes. My uncle who looks very much like me is suffering Primary Supránuclear Palsy. A devastating neurodegenerative disease similar to MND.

Someone posted on alstdi the results of an in depth analysis of the genes of mnd patients and they say that from their work they have arrived at 20% of mnd has common genetic traits! a lot more than the 5 to 10 % reported.
    I think that as genome testing becomes more refined they will find a lot more reasons why some are likely to develop mnd. I must admit I have never heard of your uncles condition.

John
    Last edited by john; 23rd July 2014 at 23:55.

Forum Member
    Hi John,

Yes, I would suggest that genetic factors will end up being the major factor, inherently defective or susceptible to disease.

Since the announcement of the whole genome project, I have decided to participate in it, and request my neuros be given the results.