Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I didn't laugh i would cry

Forum Member

If I didn't laugh i would cry

This may seem familiar to some of you. Why does everything take so long to do? And what was simple before MND is now so complicated. For example - I am , sitting on "typing" chair which has wheels, I am feeling chilly so reach for my cardi. I think to myself that getting up to put it on will involve wedging the chair so I can push without falling off the chair or scooting across the room. So I stay sitting . I find first armhole ok but the second armhole has disappeared. I am twisting and getting frustrated almost tipping chair over. Then find that most of the back is rolled into the second armhole! And this an example of my daily struggle to be independent and demonstrates my bloodymindedness. But the sense of achievement when I succeed is worth it even though I am exhausted.

pete
    Quote Originally Posted by miranda View Post
    This may seem familiar to some of you. Why does everything take so long to do? And what was simple before MND is now so complicated. For example - I am , sitting on "typing" chair which has wheels, I am feeling chilly so reach for my cardi. I think to myself that getting up to put it on will involve wedging the chair so I can push without falling off the chair or scooting across the room. So I stay sitting . I find first armhole ok but the second armhole has disappeared. I am twisting and getting frustrated almost tipping chair over. Then find that most of the back is rolled into the second armhole! And this an example of my daily struggle to be independent and demonstrates my bloodymindedness. But the sense of achievement when I succeed is worth it even though I am exhausted.
    Hi Miranda,
    I can so relate to that post, It would be so easy to just give in and get someone to pass you the cardi and help put in on !!!, but then again you and I both know that's not what we are about, you can't change who you are no matter what others may think ,yes me too stubborn awkward, and bloody minded all directed my way ,but as you say ,when you succeed in doing even the smallest task ,that could be done in less time ,without risking falling , money can't buy that feeling of sheer success when you finally achieve what you wanted too. Long May we continue being able to do these tasks.

Pete
    XX

ccvsd
    This does remind me of bloody minded struggles with various items of clothing.

I have a soft jacket with slippy fabric which has kept me independent for a bit longer. I bought it in the sale from Rohan and they don't seem to
    sell them anymore which is a shame. I have given up wearing fleeces or jumpers - too difficult even with help!

Wurzel
    Just to make you all laugh.... I invested in a onesie for Greg at Xmas! I thought it would keep him warm & comfortable...Big mistake! I left him in it for a couple of hours whilst I popped out the other day. Disaster struck and he needed the loo! He got stuck in his onesie and I'll leave the rest to your imagination!!! Love to you all, Mandy xx

Cece
    I too have problems with greeting dressed. Have screamed, shouted and sworn at my self and clothes, gone into contortions, fallen off the bed, tipped over putting my socks on and flung clothes all round the room in a hissy fit like a toddler! My main problem is putting shoes on at the moment because I have no push in my legs it's very difficult, so end up with someone else doing it which is very kind, but a little demeaning.

Have had to get rid of all my jeans, now live in leggings, can't do buttons so all my shirts have gone,live in baggy t shirts, and don't even get me started on bras!

Forum Member
    Can't put socks on, slip on shoes just about manageable with a long handled shoe horn and as for bras ...!!!***********!!!!

Derek
    Well I just had a good laugh at all of you, at least you ain't lost your humour. I have the same sort of trouble, although I cannot walk or dress my self,I wear long johns every day indoors because I can pull them up and down OK. When I need the loo I pull my self up from my wheel-chair using the grab handles and balance my legs against the toilet then I let go of the handles and pull me johns down and sit with a wallop on the loo, then I do the same in reverse which is much harder pulling me johns back up. A few days ago it was colder so my wife put me a pair of jogging trousers over the top of me johns, and she normally helps me in the loo, but on this particular day she went out to do some gardening and said to me that she would look in the window now and then. Well she got carried away with her gardening and after an hour I was busting for the loo,I banged on the window she did not hear me, so I managed to pull them both down and go but I just could not pull them up, not even me johns coz they were acting like Velcro on my Joggers, so I pulled my self back on my wheel-chair and sat in the patio door window with me trousers around me ankles until my wife looked up from her gardening and the expression on her face was a picture, she soon came in then. My wife is deaf and wears a hearing aid in both ears.
    Last edited by Derek; 5th March 2014 at 16:15.

I have been thinking of wearing a baggy dress Derek. I think they would be a lot easier and cooler in the coming hot sunny weather. I don't think that I'll bother with a bra but my size is getting bigger.

Like Derek, I don't wear much, less to take down and pull up, so can sort of be independent.

Miranda and Carole, you can get front clip bras but still would not be easy.

Terry

Treelover
    Girls and Terry! If you can use one hand have a look at the Bra Angel, it may be useful.

Thanks Treelover, I'll have a look.

Love Terry