Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Through floor lift

Through floor lift

I'm finding that stairs are now getting rather difficult so am exploring options... just wondered who has a through floor lift and what are the pro's n cons
    Life without love is like a broken pencil..... Pointless.

http://mndestroyer.wordpress.com/

Forum Member
    Hi, sorry to hear that stairs are getting difficult. Re a lift: my mum should be getting one within the next couple of weeks so will let you know as it unfolds so to speak. Just thinking through the planning stage: it can take a while, especially if you need assistance with a disabled facilities grant; so make it a priority to contact the major adaptations team to request an assessment as that took us approx 4+ months as we did not know we could push things along ourselves (even if professionals such as OTs refer you need to push it along or you will wait for ever).

You may find if you go for a lift and it is going to take a while then a stair lift may be an interim option until the lift is installed; as the one my mum is getting had to be made especially (and that takes 6-8 weeks). We are now in the process of moving out some furniture to make room for the lift.
    best wishes
    Luce

Forum Member
    Hi
    I had a stairlift installed and now realising that as my trunk muscles get weaker it will no longer be safe. We've just finshed looking into a through floor lift. As Luce says getting a grant is time consuming. What we also found was different companies have different ideas where a lift can be situated. One company wouldn't put it near water pipes, as they wouldn't put electrics near them in case there was a leak. So they wanted to move pipes, move radiators and knock a wall down. Another company were happy to put it near pipes. Also there was a big difference in cost (a difference of 6000!).
    We finally elected not to go with the lift as my O/t gave us dimensions of a tilt back shower chair and we found it would be impossible to manoeuvre in the bathroom. Instead we have had ceiling tracks fitted downstairs, moved the bedroom and found an inflatable shower/bath system to use on a bed.
    Sally

I've had a Wessex through floor lift since 2005 and am very happy with it. I wanted a stair lift but my OT said I'd become too weak for it (I haven't yet but who knows?)

It goes through my lounge into my daughter's bedroom. I like my bedroom and didn't want to move! You can see it in this film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Z-Kkdl-tg

Sarah

Vane
    Ive had a stairlift since January and its brilliant. However, social services wouldnt fund it because they stated that I wouldnt be able, having MND, to use it for long enough. The association put money towards its and it cost 3,300. I can still use it perfectly but have to have help transferring now from wheelchair on to it and off of it which is becoming problematic. Soc. services are now looking into installing a through floor lift (whcih I also didnt want as we have a small house), However, I have now caved in to the lift idea as it will make life easier for my husband who is my main carer.
    The process for installing a lift takes times (about 6 months ) so its a difficult decision. I guess what Im trying to say is that dont turn down the chance of a lift as chances are you will need at some point. Unfortunately, if you are like me, you will need as interim measure (stairlift) which doesnt seem to be taken into account. I wouldnt have been without my stairlift as its given me four or five months of precious independence.
    Its so hard to know what adaptations to go for with this disease - my progression seems frighteningly fast so I know now that I really have to look ahead all the time.
    Hope this ramble might help anyone who's looking into it vanessa.

Forum Member
    My mum had her lift installed last week. It is marvelous. The work took about a week (2 days prep to make the hole)- another day and a half for the electricians, 2 days to fit the lift.

Easy to use (easier than the stair lift). It is a tight fit with the wheelchair and there will be no room for anyone else. It can be operated from inside the lift and also from a switch on the wall in the living room and bedroom. Because if is a tight fit it would mean that if mum was unable to move and operate the lift someone would need to be able to dash up the stairs and then assist her out. just letting you lot out there know in case there is a carer for someone with MND who has mobility problems themselves. If space allows then you could always try to have a lift that fits the person with MND, wheelchair and someone else (mum would not have had enough space to manouvere.

Once the lift was installed we needed to move more furniture and also shift mums double bed out and get a single one -space to move around etc
    Luce

Forum Member
    We have a pollock though the floor lift installed just over the 12months now, have had only a couple of niggles with it ,but on the whole quite happy, only trouble we have found is if you own your own property, then after the initial 12mth warranty, you then are responsible for any breakdown after that approx 350.00 per year via stenna stairlift. Ang

work started on my lift installation today, happy days for about n hour!! central heating drained n water off due to pipes in the way. No brews for me today. New electricity cables kept shorting so no power = no internet or tv, then plumber cut through a gas pipe by mistake, never see a tradesman run so quick to turn off the mains!!!!

All utilities finally back on.. just a big hole til 6th Sept when lift goes in

Robyn Copley-Hirst
    I'm glad to hear all of your facilities are finally back on, Adie. It sounds a very eventful day! I hope when the lift goes in you find it a great help to you.

Robyn

oh ffs, now I've got water coming through my upstairs ceiling :-(.... Where Tommy Walsh when you need him!!