Thread: The dreaded cough...

Forum Member

The dreaded cough...

Hi

My dad has just been into hospital to have his tube fitted for feeding. It seemed to go ok (still early days) but he is in a lot of pain. This is making coughing extremely painful at the moment, but my real questions are:

1) he did not have the cough in hospital, but he does at home. Any tips to alleviate it? Warmer/drier?
    2) he is on a whole host of meds, but only oramorph for the cough. SURELY there is something better to loosen the catarrh?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Thanks all

Kat

Hi Kat,
    No your not in the wrong place, welcome to the club, there are a few medications ,but they need to be prescribed ,a lot depends on what's causing his cough, to suppress it is not always the right way, as a cough is really needed to clear the mucus that seems to drive us nuts, mucadyne, a nebuliser with the correct fłuid helps as does many inhalers ,but you need the respiratory dept to say what's best in your Dads case. You no doubt will hear from the other guys and gals, but your more than welcome here.

Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Hi Pete

Thank you for your rapid reply! What I usually do it look stuff up, and ask my mum to ask the community nurses if it might help. They have just asked the hospital for a cough machine so hopefully that will help. Meds I agree with have to be right, of course, just thought there must be something else that can help.

What also concerns me is that he didnt have it in hospital but does at home. The room he is in is probably only 18-20oC and the radiator is down the other end. Could this make things worse i.e. should they increase the heat and reduce humidity?

Thank you

Kat

Welcome to the forum Kat;

Not sure if Temp or humidity will make much difference as long as there's no mold. I have my living room at about 22 and the bed room at about 19. Coughing makes me very hot so might need a fan if his bad.

Best wishes, Terry

[QUOTE=lilkat86;39368]Hi Pete

Thank you for your rapid reply! What I usually do it look stuff up, and ask my mum to ask the community nurses if it might help. They have just asked the hospital for a cough machine so hopefully that will help. Meds I agree with have to be right, of course, just thought there must be something else that can help.

What also concerns me is that he didnt have it in hospital but does at home. The room he is in is probably only 18-20oC and the radiator is down the other end. Could this make things worse i.e. should they increase the heat and reduce humidity?

Thank you

Hi Kat,
    As far as temp goes the hotter it is the more I tend to cough as it dries my throat, I think our main room is 22 ish but I turn off the rad in my bedroom because I can't sleep if it's hot, the wife is the opposite has everything 24 or hotter ,I guess like everything else it's very individual ,I would avoid dry air as that dries sinuses and results I blocked noses another annoying problem
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Hi Pete

Ok, makes sense to me. He has bad sinuses anyway, always has. I just wish I could figure why in a hot dry hospital (28oC) he was fine but not at home. Frustrating!

Thank you

Forum Member
    Hi Terry

Im pretty sure no mould, but could be high humidity; my mum keeps her tarantulas in there! I will get a hygrometer and find out

Forum Member
    Hi there
    Hubby had a dreadful cough and I found an old thread that recommended robitussin, worked really well. He has poor lung function at 36% but this really helped him and it broke up the phlegm. Hope your dad settles soon.
    From
    Sylv

Forum Member
    Thanks Sylv, great advice, I will let him know to ask his nurses.